E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545 without sport package

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 545i, titanium gray, gray interior with poplar trim, sport package, cold weather package, premium sound

My local dealer has found me a 545 equipped as I want it, but it does not have the sport package. Now, this is probably not a big deal to me because I am more of a luxury guy. But before I go for it, I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on this. The only 545 I have test driven had the sport package, and I do not remember the ride being harsh or anything like that. Has anyone drive the non-sport? How much of a difference does it make in terms of softer ride, body roll, etc? What about those non-sport wheels? How do they look in person - kind of hard to tell just from looking at BMW's web site. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtsutton1' date='Aug 21 2005, 05:57 AM
My local dealer has found me a 545 equipped as I want it, but it does not have the sport package.? Now, this is probably not a big deal to me because I am more of a luxury guy.? But before I go for it, I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on this.? The only 545 I have test driven had the sport package, and I do not remember the ride being harsh or anything like that.? Has anyone drive the non-sport?? How much of a difference does it make in terms of softer ride, body roll, etc?? What about those non-sport wheels?? How do they look in person - kind of hard to tell just from looking at BMW's web site.? Thanks.
[snapback]161642[/snapback]
Very easy solution - if you are not about the handling and performance but much prefer luxury, take this one and get a deal.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

IMO, its no big deal if you've got Dynamic Drive.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Huge difference between sport and non sport. If you don't want sport pkg don't bother with the 545i get the 530. What good is the 545 power without antiroll stability to keep you and the passengers from sliding in the corners. Performance oriented suspension is not harsh but cuts the car wobble out of bumps on the road

No sport pkg no 545i, I feel pretty strong about this. I have driven both the sport and non sport and didn't care for the extra $3000, the Anti roll Stablility feature itself was worth it and the active steering was an added bonus . It doesn't take long just a 5min drive in both will convince you.

Just my opinion anyway.

Body roll - Huge difference between non sport and sport and I am talking regular curvy roads going 30 mph not tire screeching cornering.
Ride quality - Huge difference because of anti roll stability, Not that much softer because of non sport tires.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I was like you thinking that I wanted a 545i without sport, but I ended up buying the sport. Now, I would never go back. The ride is still very comfortable but the drive is so much better. Plus the wheels look much better and the car is lowered from the factory-- look at the two cars side by side, the sport looks much cooler. The only regret I have is not getting the comfort seats. The sport seats are not comfortable IMO.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I had pondered the same question as I have a 80 mile round trip commute to work on the freeway. I had driven a friends 540i sport and it was a little harsh. Also, I was not real keen on the active steer from what the mags had written.

The 545i with anti-roll stabilization is the best of both worlds - not too harsh but incredible when you do want to turn, and I love the active steer. Also, the tire/rim setup of the sport package I like over the non-sport.

IMO, I would not buy a 545i without the sport. You think you don't need it, but you will like to hammer on it once and awhile. If not, you would be looking at a 525/530.

If you where the other way around, thinking you didn't need the sport, but a sport version was available, I would say just buy it and you will be happy.

Since you don't think you need it, my advice would be to go and drive both back-to-back. Not just around the block, but take it 15 miles on the freeway and the side roads.

If, then it does not matter, I am sure you can work a good price as I think non sport 545i's are not very desirable for most buyers.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I would not have purchased the 5er had the sport pack not been available. My personal opinion is that better ride-handling equations are available elsewhere, for less $$. The 545i with sport pack is incredible; exceptional handling with a really very good ride, so long as you don't demand a Buick-like boulevard float, which no BMW really provides.

That being said, such decisions are very personal. Drive it and decide for yourself! But if you are considering the 545i non-sport, I'd suggest also trying out the MB E500. An excellent engine and tranny (the 7-speed auto is smooooth), and I think the ride-handling compromise is better in the Benz. And in Ohio, at least, the Benz dealers are VERY eager to deal.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Members

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. I've been driving my non-sport 545 since March and know that for me, this was the right configuration. Drove the following prior to purchase: 545 sport, 530 non-sport, 545 non-sport. The sport package for me was unbearable in harshness, feeling like there were connecting rods in stead of shock absorbers. No doubt the run-flat tires were part of the problem, but thats where some of that performance comes from. Highway travel on anything other than smooth pavement was annoying to the point of me terminating the test ride. My non-sport suspension provides plenty of handling capability, (better than most cars on the road), and coupled with the 545 engine is a blast to drive! Frankly, regardless of the suspension you get, the 545 is frustrating in that you are going to have to learn to drive SLOWER than the car is made to go. There's not much sensation of speed and resulting excitement at legal speeds. Haven't often found roads in the DC area that aren't full of troopers with their new speed toys.

If the sport package is to your liking, great. Either way, the 545 is a car that defines driving pleasure and performance. Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Keep in mind that the sport package 5 series come with the tire pressure jacked up to max (recommended for driving over 100 MPH with the vehicle loaded to max capacity-- not exactly real world driving for North America). The first couple of days I was asking myself why the ride was harsh. Then I checked the tire pressure and found that it was about 10 lbs over the non-max weight recommendation. I corrected this and it made a HUGE difference in the ride quality.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Gray Metallic Sport Package Cold Weather Package Heads-Up Display Sirius Radio Logic7 Audio System Navigation Active Steering Split-Floding Rear Seats Rear Sunshade M5 Spoiler Illuminated Door Sills
I just traded my 2000 M Roadster (Strut Tower Brace, Modded Conforti Intake, 75-shot of NOS) for a 2005 545i as described in my sig. Primary reason was because I have a child on the way and the Roadster wasn't going to work anymore. My primary concern going to a larger sedan from the Roadster was that I would lose the fun of being able to take tight corners at high speeds without worry that the car was going to slip. I also figured I would have to sacrifice the sturdy ride of a sport-tuned vehicle.

Let me say that I have been the furthest from disappointed with the 545i+Sport. I am driving this car no differently than I drove the Roadster. This car actually handles hard driving better than my previous one. I can take tightter turns even faster thanks to the stabilization coupled with active steering (which i highly recommend). This is by far the most agile car I have owned (323i, M Roadster, X5). I am sure this car would be just fine without the Sport package but if you are planning on driving it hard and pushing the car to its limits, I think you will be happier and safer with the modifications that come with the Sport Package.

I could not find one in North America with everything I wanted, so I ordered mine. It was well worth the wait.

Hope this is useful!

Quick Reply: 545 without sport package