E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: How many 545 owners have experienced the "slam"
Yes I have experienced it
44.44%
No I have not experienced it
55.56%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

545 Transmission "Slam"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ynnepd' date='May 17 2005, 10:59 PM
I have 16.2
The car slammed once when somebody else was driving.
Rolling stop, sudden acceleration, SLAM!
It's not subtle.
Has never happened when I was driving, even in similar situations.
Maybe it's partly a driving style issue?
[snapback]129983[/snapback]

I have experienced this three times so far( 4k miles) - it seems to happen when in sport drive and the transmission is coming back from being in 'extrme sport' - that is, fast driving and then slowing to a stop - clunk - like a rearending. Still like the steptronic(98% of the time) over my 5 speed manual in my prior E39 530 - didn't like long throw and late release on the clutch...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok got the car back today with "16.2" I cant tell if thats what they really did or not it doesnt say on the paperwork but thats what they claim... Weird thing is ALL my settings were still there besides the "speed limit warning" Makes me wonder if they really updated my car or not.

But with the 15 miles that was driven today the transmission is very smooth this is how it should have been from day 1. No more jerky stops and no more SLAMING into gear from D3 to M2. I cant really say yet... but so far it hasnt happened... will go drive more tomorrow to see...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport; sapphire black metallic; comfort; nav; sirius; split-folding rear; auto

I have never had this slamming effect, but I did find the transmission abrupt at low speeds until I upgraded the software recently. For those who have experienced a problem since upgrading to 16.2, it is worth noting that the software upgrade is actually a series of seperate modules that the dealer upgrades. Each has its own function. So if a particular dealer tells you they upgraded you to 16.2, they may have only upgraded certain modules, such as Nav system, while not installing an upgrade to the transmission module, that seems, at least in my case, to have improved my transmission. It might be worth following up with whoever did your upgrade if you still have the Slam problem or have experienced it for the first time after apparantly upgrading.

Just my .02
Old 05-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

'05 16.2cip week 9 build...no Slam
Old 05-27-2005, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jlgnyc11' date='May 26 2005, 09:55 PM
So if a particular dealer tells you they upgraded you to 16.2, they may have only upgraded certain modules, such as Nav system, while not installing an upgrade to the transmission module, that seems, at least in my case, to have improved my transmission.? It might be worth following up with whoever did your upgrade if you still have the Slam problem or have experienced it for the first time after apparantly upgrading.

Just my .02
[snapback]133637[/snapback]

OH YA thats right! I think I remember reading somthing like this. IF they do not upgrade the WHOLE car there might be conflicts.

Let me see if I have time to dig out that document later today.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

I?ve been talking to my SA about this (I?ve had it in twice to see if they could fix it, they can?t). And as it turns out they have two other people complaining (loudly) about the same problem (good for me, I?m not the only one that my SA is hearing it from). Last week they escalated to BMW and I got a call yesterday saying they were getting special software in today to fix the problem. I asked if the software was simply an upgrade to the overall software or something specific for the tranny?she commented that it was just for the tranny. They?re trying it another car first and I?ll be making my appt on Tues to bring the car in?fingers crossed it?ll work.

She did make the comment that X5?s had a similar problem a while back and that was eventually fixed via software?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='May 27 2005, 05:29 AM
[quote name='jlgnyc11' date='May 26 2005, 09:55 PM']So if a particular dealer tells you they upgraded you to 16.2, they may have only upgraded certain modules, such as Nav system, while not installing an upgrade to the transmission module, that seems, at least in my case, to have improved my transmission.? It might be worth following up with whoever did your upgrade if you still have the Slam problem or have experienced it for the first time after apparantly upgrading.

Just my .02
[snapback]133637[/snapback]

OH YA thats right! I think I remember reading somthing like this. IF they do not upgrade the WHOLE car there might be conflicts.

Let me see if I have time to dig out that document later today.
[snapback]133711[/snapback]
[/quote]

Found it. see post 3

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...264&hl=program
Old 05-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='May 20 2005, 09:19 PM
Ok got the car back today with "16.2" I cant tell if thats what they really did or not it doesnt say on the paperwork but thats what they claim... Weird thing is ALL my settings were still there besides the "speed limit warning" Makes me wonder if they really updated my car or not.?

But with the 15 miles that was driven today the transmission is very smooth this is how it should have been from day 1. No more jerky stops and no more SLAMING into gear from D3 to M2. I cant really say yet... but so far it hasnt happened... will go drive more tomorrow to see...
[snapback]131372[/snapback]
Does your nav shows the new perspective view? When I got my car back with 16.2, all my settings were gone except the seat memories. If you did not loose your original settings, then you must already have 16.1, so the upgrade is merely a software patch instead of full upload, which will loose your settings.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='May 27 2005, 09:14 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='May 20 2005, 09:19 PM']Ok got the car back today with "16.2" I cant tell if thats what they really did or not it doesnt say on the paperwork but thats what they claim... Weird thing is ALL my settings were still there besides the "speed limit warning" Makes me wonder if they really updated my car or not.?

[snapback]131372[/snapback]
Does your nav shows the new perspective view? When I got my car back with 16.2, all my settings were gone except the seat memories. If you did not loose your original settings, then you must already have 16.1, so the upgrade is merely a software patch instead of full upload, which will loose your settings.
[snapback]133789[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nah I dont have NAV but all my radio settings and everything else in iDrive was still there. I do not have 16.1 either... I have never updated my software car was built nov 11th 2005
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='May 27 2005, 08:43 AM
I?ve been talking to my SA about this (I?ve had it in twice to see if they could fix it, they can?t). And as it turns out they have two other people complaining (loudly) about the same problem (good for me, I?m not the only one that my SA is hearing it from). Last week they escalated to BMW and I got a call yesterday saying they were getting special software in today to fix the problem. I asked if the software was simply an upgrade to the overall software or something specific for the tranny?she commented that it was just for the tranny. They?re trying it another car first and I?ll be making my appt on Tues to bring the car in?fingers crossed it?ll work.

She did make the comment that X5?s had a similar problem a while back and that was eventually fixed via software?
[snapback]133717[/snapback]

Please keep us updated on the progress and get all the information you can from your dealer. I hate having to tell my dealer what to do to fix my car, but since I have to, I need to be prepared. They always seem to have no idea what I am talking about until I document it.

Quick Reply: 545 Transmission "Slam"