E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545 "rocking" slightly at idle - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has never idled smoothly since it was new. I have complained about this every time the car has been back for service (reprogramming) and have been told "it is a 545". Two weeks ago the "service engine soon" light and a warning "increased emmissions" came on. I called BMW assist and after 10 minutes on the phone got the response "We can have the car towed to the dealer or you can call the dealer in the morning". I called the dealer in the morning as the engine was running the same as it alway had. My SA said to bring it in if I want but okay to wait until June for the 1 year service. He also said it will probably go way. It hasn't

I'm wondering if anyone else has a rough idle or has had the "increased emmissions" warning.

My SA has been great and I'm not trying to hurt him, just wondering if anyone else has these problems.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've had my 545i for 3+ months and never experienced those issues.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Members

Capebimmer:

Complain to them about "erratic engine idle speed" and that it's causing this problem.

Here is TSB for this:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMW_SI_B_11_02_05.pdf (236.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Is your oil-fill cap secured tightly?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by Capebimmer' date='May 2 2005, 12:11 PM
My car has never idled smoothly since it was new.? I have complained about this every time the car has been back for service (reprogramming) and have been told "it is a 545".? Two weeks ago the "service engine soon" light and a warning "increased emmissions" came on.? I called BMW assist and after? 10 minutes on the phone got the response "We can have the car towed to the dealer or you can call the dealer in the morning".? I called the dealer in the morning as the engine was running the same as it alway had.? My SA said to bring it in if I want but okay to wait until June for the 1 year service.? He also said it will probably go way.? It hasn't

I'm wondering if anyone else has a rough idle or has had the "increased emmissions" warning.

My SA has been great and I'm not trying to hurt him, just wondering if anyone else has these problems.

Thanks,

Steve
[snapback]122982[/snapback]

Mine is very smooth. His statement is non-sense. It's a v8...it should be extremely smooth.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

My ride has been idling quite rough since day 1. I have now hit 10,000km and there has been no change. I experience misfiring sometimes; felt especially bad when reversing. However, after my insistance, the local dealer downloaded 16.2 and the misfiring seems to have gone away. Its been at least 4 days now and there is no misfiring.

The rough idling still persists. Maybe I'll show them the TSB. Seems that sometimes we've got to tell them the cure as these guys depend too much on their diagnostic programmes.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Guys, CIP 16x has made great improvements to smoothness.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Members

Did you guys notice that there is a slight delay (few mil seconds) starting the engine with the new software v.15.2 and v.16.x?

Before new software - engine starts instantaneously (rev higher)
After new software - engine starts with slight programmed delay (smoother)
Old 05-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

I have actually faxed copies of the TSB to my local dealer. They were rather reluctant to admit that this could be the fault and somehow wanted to digest further the problems. They now want to look at the reports churned out during the upgrade and let BMW Asia decide. I really don't get it. We have a problem, we provide them with the "BMW" solution and here they are telling us we might be wrong. I think the real reason is because they do not want to take the cylinder head apart and be forced to work on the insides and end up with a bigger problem later on. Either that or the costs involved. I would think its a combination of both.

BMW makes great cars. However, their quality control department, whether in testing oem parts or passing the vehicle fit for the client is another thing. Their follow-up service is also something that warrants a make-over. As far as the local dealer is concerned, they will fulfill their warranty and "repair" or fix your ride as and when you bring it in. Whether it is a temperory fix is besides the point; they will even get you a loaner and say; thats service, man. Guess what happens when the warranty expires.

Anyway, back to the subject; I am quite sure this TSB describes my ride's problems and the cure. My ride was manufactured 17 September 2004 and that is smack right in the middle of the problem parts manufacture bracket of 180/04 and 324/04.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Capebimmer' date='May 2 2005, 01:11 PM
My car has never idled smoothly since it was new.? I have complained about this every time the car has been back for service (reprogramming) and have been told "it is a 545".?
[snapback]122982[/snapback]
BTW, Steve, I was told the same thing. I was told that this is a 545 V8. It is expected. I was also told that the car's electronics had to be "run in" and that the problem would go away after 5000Km. How convenient. Like I mentioned, its been 10,000Km and its in fact got worse.

Quick Reply: 545 "rocking" slightly at idle - anyone else?