E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545 purchase advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, 6sp manual, sport pkg
Default 545 purchase advise

Hello E60'ers!

I've been wanting to pick up a 545i and i have my eye on one right now. This will be my first Bimmer. I've had 5 SAABs and want something more substantial.

Why a 545i? I want a rwd sports sedan, high performance v8 power, and a 6sp manual tranny. And i want it to be german, not american or japanese. And a 545 wlll not be priced as high as a 550, so im leaning in that direction. Its going to be a comfy commuter of 20mi per day that i can get on every now and then. I dont want to spend alot to get into it, but I don't want to pick up junk either. Just want to find the right' car at the right time at the right price... May have found one...

The car i'm looking at as about 115k on it. Since its broken the 100k mark, I'm very wary so I've been reading up here to try to get an understanding of reliability after 100K. Maintenance is key of course. It has had 3 owners so its a bit of a riddle, but i do have some of the more recent items documented:

92k - new clutch

100k - new brakes, rotors, tires

105k - UPPER TIMING COVER GASKET, VANOS SOLENOID SEAL, VALVER COVER GASKET, VALVE CdVER FLA, VALVETRONIC SERVO, CRAN'KC~VENT VALVE, INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET, VACUUM PUMP ORING, CRANKCASE VENT HOSE, ALTERNATOR BRACKET SEAL TIMING CASE COVER - Remove & Replace -

114k coolant pipe replacement kit / valley pan at 114k, and

Cant get anymore records...

The current owner has only had it a short period of time. i think he has realized the car is way too costly since he dropped over 5k in the most recent maintenance items and he is about to have a life changing event, so he wants out. I have no problem taking it off his hands. i just don't want to get stuck with another 5k in repairs in the short term.

From what ive read, it seems like the main items people have had issues with are the items performed at 105k and 110k and automatic transmission related problems which dont apply to this ride. I'm hoping all the oil leaks / seeps and coolant system issues have been adequately addressed at this time. `I'm going to road test and inspect this car carefully. If all electronics are functioning, engine runs smooth without any hesitation, ticks, or rattles, tranny shifts smooth, no creaks or banging comes from the suspension, drives straight, and feels solid - what else should i check for?

What maintenance items can i expect in the short to medium term? What are the big ticket repairs i can potentally see come up next with a car like this? i dont mind dropping a few bucks to fix it right when something comes up, i just want to get an idea of what this particular car may have in store for me based on your guys knowledge and opinions.

Your guys .02 would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Question A critical piece of information needed

What year is it?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi, ESSVT550 e39M5, Cayenne Turbo S, Stg 2+ B5S4, 57 Chevy Truck LSx

Hello and welcome to the world of BMW! Although I do enjoy the cars, they do come with some faults. Maintenance can get pricey if you don't plan on doing things yourself, or have a reliable Indy that can cut down on costs. Here's a link that may help:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...issues-119336/

I recently sold a 2006 530xi that needed the CCC unit(CD/DVD/radio) replaced. The part and labor to code the part to the car totalled nearly $800.

I'm not sure what your price range is, but have you considered a 535i manual? They can be hard to find, but hard to beat for performance when you install a tune such as JB4 or COBB...
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
New Members

its an 04' 545i.

I would love a 535i manual.

How does reliability compare between the two vehicles?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Honestly, it looks like you've had a lot of major items knocked out, including the coolant transfer pipe and the engine gaskets (assuming you buy this). Plan on needing new tires in the short future, but you're going to need to budget that with any BMW or high performance car.

I would also plan on replacing portions of the 'exterior' cooling system if they have already been (expansion tank, thermostat, hoses, water pump). These items aren't staggering in cost and can be replaced by the average shade tree mechanic. I say exterior in the sense that they are not inside the engine, like the coolant transfer pipe and valley pan, which are a huge pain.

You're getting a fast car at a low price. Just know that there will be bumps along the road (as would be with any 100k+ mile car).
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

If i can give you some advice from someone who has bought many BMW's that needed work, higher mileage, etc. Bypass it. you will get a much better car by saving a little more money and buying something without trouble. No matter what they have replaced the 545 is not the car to get into especially your first. I have a 550i that i bough and wound up putting gobs of money into it, and it is a much more reliable car than the 545 on average. Buy a 530i manual. A wonderful marriage of pep, reliability, and gas mileage. Its a fun car still. 535 you are looking for issues down the road with turbo and other issues. Good luck with your search though.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Sounds to me like the majority of the so called "big ticket repairs" with the 545 has been addressed or taken care of already, so I'd say buy this car with confidence unless something major is uncovered on the test drive. Any vehicle with over 100k you'd expect to find maintenance issues but, not necessarily a major one. You seem to be proactive with maintenance so this car may just be worth it for you.

Items that come to mind in addition to what's been previously said are:
Shocks
Oil pressure switch
Control arm bushing
Coolant vent pipe
IBS

Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 AM
New Members

Default 545i puchase advise

Ok, I think i'm liking what im hearing...

Vig03 - The Nav / stereo unit seems to be working fine. no flickers or anything. Is this the ccc unit your referring too?

Onlybimmers - What kind of money did you put into that 550 and what work did you end up doing - general overview is what im looking for. I was looking at the 530 - they're real nice, and im sure easier to maintain, but im just itching for that raw hp... as far as the 535 goes, i love the idea of that tt, especially chipped. But i dont want to be dealing with vac leaks and constantly searching for them. I love turbos and have had nothing but turbos for 10 years, i just fig normally aspirated engines are a bit more reliable or at least straight forward. Plus i want that raw low end torque...

West & E6 - The items you guys mention are:

1. expansion tank - these things wear? Does the system need to be drained to replace this?

2. thermostat - noted, these are usually very straight forward to replace - any complications i should be aware of?

3. hoses, water pump - guess i can do this all at once

4. Coolant vent pipe - this wears also? Looks like the rubber hose would just break down. doesnt look like an expensive part. Does the system need to be drained to replace this? In general, it probably is a good idea to go over the open items on the cooling system to make sure its all set for another few years. Probably want to replace the fluid anyway and the parts you guys mention don't seem to be crazy expensive.

5. Shocks - if it feels jittery ill keep this in mind

6. Control arm bushing - I'd just listen for any banging or rattling. i understand these things go after a while depending on age and salt exposure...

7. Oil pressure switch - this is the oil pressure sensor right? Looks like a nice inexpensive part. im assuming a snap to replace...

8. IBS - forgive my ignance... what is this part?

Thanks guys - really really appreciate your input!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi, ESSVT550 e39M5, Cayenne Turbo S, Stg 2+ B5S4, 57 Chevy Truck LSx

Originally Posted by cdk545
Ok, I think i'm liking what im hearing...

Vig03 - The Nav / stereo unit seems to be working fine. no flickers or anything. Is this the ccc unit your referring too?
Yes that's the unit. I don't recall any indication before it went out, so just something to keep in mind. Although our CCC was not working for radio or CD player, the DVD for NAV did work.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Sorry

IBS = "Intelligent" Battery Sensor" Been know to cause excessive battery drain. Currently an issue I've been dealing with for the last couple of months.

Quick Reply: 545 purchase advise