E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545 engine - noisy on startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

I need your help...again.

I was giving the engine bay a good clean today and removed the plastic cover to wipe the clean the top of the engine.

Anyhow, I started her up and was suprised how noisy the engine was.

It was making a noisy ticking sound, which seemed loudest on the right hand bank (the noise seemed to be coming from below the ? coil pack on this side.

there was also a periodic ticking sound (valvetronic making adjustments?)

I made a reocrding on my phone, standing approx 1 metre away from the fornt bumper - its very loud !

I took the car for a spin to fully warm up, It seemed quieter on return, but not as quiet as I think it should be.

(from inside the car, with the bonnet down, you cant hear anything untoward)

Can any 545 owners let me know how noisy thier engine is.

also, when first starting up, for approx 1 -2 minutes, when cold, there is an intermitant squeal coming form the engine - its not coming from the drive belts... is this common, or normal.

The engine has done 25k miles.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='403963' date='Mar 17 2007, 08:26 PM

I was giving the engine bay a good clean today and removed the plastic cover to wipe the clean the top of the engine.

It was making a noisy ticking sound, which seemed loudest on the right hand bank (the noise seemed to be coming from below the ? coil pack on this side.

I made a reocrding on my phone, standing approx 1 metre away from the fornt bumper - its very loud !

I took the car for a spin to fully warm up, It seemed quieter on return, but not as quiet as I think it should be.

also, when first starting up, for approx 1 -2 minutes, when cold, there is an intermitant squeal coming form the engine - its not coming from the drive belts... is this common, or normal.

I have exactly the same...even as you describe it > more pronounced on the right side.
Ticking is the valvetronic mechanism and is no problem, loud as it is - - - do you have however any "tapping" (not ticking) when accelerating between 1500-2200rpm ?

with regards to the squeal, not sure exactly what you mean. Something similar exists when engine is cold, outside temp is cold and you have a heat demand inside. During idle a device like a water pump operates to give extra warm water for the heating = this sounds like a squeal but it's ever so discreet. Comes from the front driver side and is intermitent.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

Andy

Thanks for that.

No, I do not have any ticking at 1500 - 2000 rpm - just on tickover.

I will investigate the squeal a bit more - and try to narrow down where its coming from.

Thanks for the sppedy response!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='403976' date='Mar 17 2007, 04:21 PM
Andy

Thanks for that.

No, I do not have any ticking at 1500 - 2000 rpm - just on tickover.

I will investigate the squeal a bit more - and try to narrow down where its coming from.

Thanks for the sppedy response!
Stay out from under that hood.
Enjoy it from behind the wheel,
Ray
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my 04 545( 12/03) at the dealer's last week for a noise that sounds almost exactly like what you are describing. The dealer diagnosed the noise as coming from the air conditioning compressor. The tech and foreman said they even found an SIB identifying the compressor as the source of the clicking from the lower right side of the block for eary 545's. The noise for me is momentarily exacerbated when I load the engine by engaging the clutch. The dealer ordered the compressor and is going to replace it under warranty next week.

Bill
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='403963' date='Mar 17 2007, 02:26 PM

Our 545i (February 2004 build) was in for an extended service visit (5+ weeks) for multiple issues. The ticking noise on the right bank of the engine was a primary issue, coupled with a surging/pulsing during cold start (below 32 F). Adjusting the eccentric valves completely resolved the ticking issue, however, the surging/pulsing persisted until the outside air temperature increased. In other words, I may have to wait until next winter to revisit the issue. Nevertheless, the vehicle stalled four separate times in five days after being returned. Each time the vehicle was stationary, foot on brake pedal, transmission in D, and HVAC on auto (A/C on). The vehicle is back in for service. BMW (PUMA) and the FSE have been involved, yet progress is slow.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by billeul' post='404068
Adjusting the eccentric valves completely resolved the ticking issue,
..do you mean the valvetronic valves ? by adjusting, do you mean they were found to be out of tolerance...?

appreciate the feedback
Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Members

I am sure the shop foreman was referencing to either;
SIB 64 04 04 Trouble shooting air conditioner compressor noise
SIB 64 14 06 A/C compressor noise "Droning, howling or ticking" at low engine RPM.

I was surprised also. I asked the shop foreman how confident he was in the diagnosis and he said "very".
I'II find out next week.

Bill
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by billeul' post='404377' date='Mar 19 2007, 12:48 AM
I am sure the shop foreman was referencing to either;
SIB 64 04 04 Trouble shooting air conditioner compressor noise
SIB 64 14 06 A/C compressor noise "Droning, howling or ticking" at low engine RPM.

I was surprised also. I asked the shop foreman how confident he was in the diagnosis and he said "very".
I'II find out next week.

Bill

let us know how if it confirms.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Members

Hello,

Picked my car up yesterday after the A/C compressor was replaced to fix the bearing/ticking noise coming from the lower front side of the engine compartment. To my surprise, the annoying noise appears to be gone. Must be a somewhat common problem in early E60's since the cause and fix is documented by SIB 64 14 06 A/C compressor noise "Droning, howling or ticking" at low engine RPM.

Bill

Quick Reply: 545 engine - noisy on startup