E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535xi vs. i with sport in mild snow/ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was putting together an order for a xi but noticed that I cannot spec the sport auto and a true sport package. For those of you that have a 550i or 535i in winter climates, what is the real world usability of a rwd with sport in a winter (mild to moderate snow and ice). If I went with the rwd sport, I would definately have to get winter tires/wheels.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gleek' post='514358' date='Jan 6 2008, 12:12 PM
I was putting together an order for a xi but noticed that I cannot spec the sport auto and a true sport package. For those of you that have a 550i or 535i in winter climates, what is the real world usability of a rwd with sport in a winter (mild to moderate snow and ice). If I went with the rwd sport, I would definately have to get winter tires/wheels.

Thanks!
I think you answered the question yourself. In addition, it is illegal in many parts of the world to drive on snow and ice on summer tires. Gross negligence if you get into an accident.

With winter tires, it?s fine.

Naturally, an AWD car with winter tires would be even better but that would be for heavy winter conditions moreso than mild to moderate.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

My previous 330i performed like billy goat on a mountain trail with snow tires. I would not bother with Xi (speaking from experience). Only have an Xi Wagon, because that is the only way you can get it in the US.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Advantage of AWD

1. higher ground clearance
2. quicker starting from a stop on slippery inclines

Advantage of RWD with winter tires

1. less weight for shorter stopping distance when slippery
2. better handling when the roads are dry - for most locations the roads are 90% dry during winter

My personal opinion is that AWD is overrated unless you need to take things offroad or live in locations which would require it.

I'm in my 6th winter with a RWD BMW with winter tires. Never have had an issue getting to where I need to go. No white knuckles either. Kind of chuckle when I drive by 4x4 SUV's in the ditch.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Get the RWD car. I like my AWD, but I totally miss the true "sportiness" that makes a BMW. I had an E39 530 Sport before my E60 and the Sport suspension is key. Now don't get me wrong, I have the Sport Pack on my E60, so everything is identical to the RWD except for the suspension. And to me, that's one of the most important pieces that make up this car.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

I'd love to have AWD to add that extra level of security in the winter, but I've been driving RWD 5ers - with snow tires - for years in Boston without incident. Driving a non-sport suspension BMW is like driving a Merc or an Infiniti imho.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

my 545 Sport was horrendous/horrible/ridiculous in any small amount of snow. My 535 which has the same wheels/tires would have been the same. I installed Bridgestone RE960AS all season tires and have been through the snow twice, its now a very capable car in snow.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

Unless you plan on more that 50% of your time on snow and ice, why get AWD. I have had both, lived in mountain locations, still an avid skier, but would never make the trade off AWD presents. Snows and Go!...and Stop! The only limitation is not RWD, but ground clearance of the sport package. More than 6'' of snow that is really soft, and it can build up under the car. I don't know about you, but that is rare, like only happend once in 15 years.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

AWD or RWD ...

My other BMW's have been RWD and with proper tires and careful driving I've been able to negotiate moderately heavy snow.

The (only) reason I bought the 530xi was the options and color combinations were perfect, as was the price. It has the sport package but I would have been happy to pass. On the xi some of the RWD suspension tweaks aren't included. Mine also has the 18" RF all-season tires - they are notorious for wearing faster than the standard shoes, but they really handle and ride quite well. When it's time to re-tire listen for my wallet screaming.

No snow yet to try out traction, but in heavy rain it sticks nicely. If i were living in the snow belt the AWD w/proper winter tires would be a great combination. That's why Audi Quattros have been such popular cars for drivers in snow country. For most others, it's marketing magic and it looks like everybody is jumping on the bandwagon - even the Infiniti M45 is now available with AWD! And, when I was thinking about the M35, my local dealers had more of them than the RWD models. Guess we know what they're pushing!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jmatthe' post='514421' date='Jan 6 2008, 01:00 PM
Unless you plan on more that 50% of your time on snow and ice, why get AWD. I have had both, lived in mountain locations, still an avid skier, but would never make the trade off AWD presents. Snows and Go!...and Stop! The only limitation is not RWD, but ground clearance of the sport package. More than 6'' of snow that is really soft, and it can build up under the car. I don't know about you, but that is rare, like only happend once in 15 years.
Thanks for all the replies. As it relates to the differences between ride height on a sport vs. non-sport, do you know approximately this difference?

Quick Reply: 535xi vs. i with sport in mild snow/ice