E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

535i HPFP woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -

After reading some of the previous threads, I see that high pressure fuel pump issues have been a problem in the past...especially in the 523i and 530i. BMW thought the problem was fixed but it's showing up again this time in my 535i.
Sometimes when I start the car, it take 3-5 seconds to start and a warning message comes up on iDrive which states; "Engine malfunction. Reduced power". At first I thought it was a problem with the turbos. I took a short drive after one of these episodes and the car seemed a little sluggish but it was not the turbos. They are fine. Took it to the dealer who ran diagnostics and determined it is the high pressure fuel pump. They were surprised and called BMW in Munich since they thought this known defect had been eliminated. Dealer says this is a big job requiring them to have the car 2-3 days. They can't get me in until the 27th of Nov which is okay as the car is running fine and this is only a problem once in a while...which seems a little strange. I would think it would always be a problem vice only popping up intermittently. At any rate, they only have mini coopers available as "loaners" at the moment which may be fun for a few days...hope it's an "S".

Any other 535i owners experiencing this problem?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Ace90' post='494284' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:58 PM
Hi all -

After reading some of the previous threads, I see that high pressure fuel pump issues have been a problem in the past...especially in the 523i and 530i. BMW thought the problem was fixed but it's showing up again this time in my 535i.
Sometimes when I start the car, it take 3-5 seconds to start and a warning message comes up on iDrive which states; "Engine malfunction. Reduced power". At first I thought it was a problem with the turbos. I took a short drive after one of these episodes and the car seemed a little sluggish but it was not the turbos. They are fine. Took it to the dealer who ran diagnostics and determined it is the high pressure fuel pump. They were surprised and called BMW in Munich since they thought this known defect had been eliminated. Dealer says this is a big job requiring them to have the car 2-3 days. They can't get me in until the 27th of Nov which is okay as the car is running fine and this is only a problem once in a while...which seems a little strange. I would think it would always be a problem vice only popping up intermittently. At any rate, they only have mini coopers available as "loaners" at the moment which may be fun for a few days...hope it's an "S".

Any other 535i owners experiencing this problem?
Ace sorry to hear this man, keeping my fingers crossed it's not a wider issue.
Be careful though, you don't want it to cut out in the middle of a left turn at a light with cars bearing down, or the expressway.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='494292' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:20 PM
Ace sorry to hear this man, keeping my fingers crossed it's not a wider issue.
Be careful though, you don't want it to cut out in the middle of a left turn at a light with cars bearing down, or the expressway.
MP - Luckily, it's not an issue with the car running or continuing to run. Just that it's a little difficult to start from time to time. Once it's running, I'm GTG. Otherwise for the reasons you point out, it wouldn't be safe to drive. And if I couldn't drive my car I'd be pretty upset. Having to take the car in and be without it for a few days while an inconvenience, doesn't change my mind that BMW makes a GREAT car and I made the right decision with my purchase. I understand things like this happen and I accept it. The team at my dealership is SUPERB and feel very bad when this sort of thing happens to one of their cars and go out of their way to help. Good luck to you man! Cheers!
ace
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Ace90 - I don't think you are the only one with the continuing fuel pump issues. I have seen several similar posts recently.

Mods - should we consider making this known issue a sticky so we can track this situation? Also, is this HPFP only used on the I6's (seems that's the only posts I have seen) or, is the same pump on the V8's?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Members

Has anyone else heard that this issue was addressed in post Aug shut down production? I thought there was a modified pump in those cars.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='494336' date='Nov 14 2007, 04:29 PM
Ace90 - I don't think you are the only one with the continuing fuel pump issues. I have seen several similar posts recently.

Mods - should we consider making this known issue a sticky so we can track this situation? Also, is this HPFP only used on the I6's (seems that's the only posts I have seen) or, is the same pump on the V8's?
The HPFP is only on IL-6 TT engines (335i & 535i currently).
No definite answer if BMW switch vendor last summer, some say Siemens is no more and BOSCH is in but that's unsubstantiated.

I've followed this issue on e90post.com but the problems seem to peak around Feb of this year and less now. Not sure if because BMW uses better batch of pumps or oxygenated gas for winter is not in circulation yet.

Ave90 are you in Germany, I thought you guys have better gas than us here in America????
Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2' post='494444' date='Nov 15 2007, 04:23 AM
Ave90 are you in Germany, I thought you guys have better gas than us here in America????
I am in Germany but can't speak to the gas quality being better here than back in the states. I know the formula used to determine octane levels is a little different usually coming up lower than the US equiv. but I've heard (unofficially) it burns cleaner. Never had any issues with the fuel.