E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d turbo lag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by stiker
Darron,

How is the performance now? I have just had the pipes replaced on mine but it has not made any difference - still no poer when I put my foot down - only when the big turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm?

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

Unfortunately there has been no real change in the power delivery. They did find that one of my swirl flaps had broken and had that changed, but when I drive the car I still feel the lag is more than it should be.

I still feel that there is a power surge at around 3,000 rpm so believe that the two turbo's are not working together as they should be. I am unsure what I can do as they cannot see any problems or find any fault codes and am on first name terms with all staff at the garage now as i've been so often!

Did you notice any lag before your turbo began to play up? for example, come off the power at 3k rpm and put back the power back in but wait for the power to actually happen?

On your car... have you had your fault codes checked? When chatting to the engineer when we were driving, he stated that the car will monitor the pressure, speed, RPM and gear etc and flag where the problems are - not sure how true this is but they had a fault code for a split pipe on mine so must be some truth! perhaps this could be an indicator for you?

I'd also suspect the flaps (not swirl) getting stuck, stopping the smaller turbo from getting exhaust gasses, therefore spinning up - just a theory! Do let me know what it is when you resolve it...

Regards
Darron
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe
Mike,

Unfortunately there has been no real change in the power delivery. They did find that one of my swirl flaps had broken and had that changed, but when I drive the car I still feel the lag is more than it should be.

Regards
Darron
Offtopic, but if there was already one broken swirl flap, I suggest you'd get rid of them all ASAP!

- Antti -
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Offtopic, but if there was already one broken swirl flap, I suggest you'd get rid of them all ASAP!

- Antti -
Deffo! they already had the manifold off so they replaced it (warranty). I'll be looking to have them replaced soon, just need to find an indy nearby who wont take me for a ride.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Did they clean things up when changing the flaps??????????
A dirty EGR and air filter can cause turbo lag if not the software.
Come to B,mouth £36(blanking plates), couple of hours and a large drink will sort your swirl flaps problem.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ali-cap
Did they clean things up when changing the flaps??????????
A dirty EGR and air filter can cause turbo lag if not the software.
Come to B,mouth £36(blanking plates), couple of hours and a large drink will sort your swirl flaps problem.
Who knows what they did?!?! would the EGR and AirFilter give errors at the dealer if they were dirty? Do you know how i would check the EGR or is that a dealer thing?

I may take you up on the offer... I am on Holiday in a few weeks to Egypt so will be after then...
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Darron,

Car still drives like a dog until 3000rpm (small turbo not operating), dealer has it and came back today saying it is the small turbo pressure regulator.

Quoted around £500. As the pressure hoses have already been replaced, this seems likely so I will update when it has been done.

I'll also let you know how the turbo lag is.

Mike
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Members

Hi,
I know this is an old post, but did the small turbo PS actually fix your problem?

Mark
Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Hi Mark,

Didn't realise I hed left this incomplete - it turned out that the hose attached to the pressure converter was split where it attached. This was replaced and all was then fine.

Have you an issue with hose replacements not fixing the job?

Mike