E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d Transmission jerk

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My transmission has a mind of its own... In the last month these 3 events occured:

First: I was driving around 70kph (40miles) and went full throttle to overtake...then I heard a really weird "jerk / sound" and the transmission refused to shift back and the car stalled (as in not wanting to accelerate while I had my foot down)... then 10 secs later everything was fine and overtook the car like a yet.

Second: 2 Weeks later, same thing happened at approximately the same speed, full throttle, weird jerk.

When I try to duplicate these events ( by going full throttle again at the same speed) it won't and downshifts fine and smooth as normally.

Third: Yesterday my car didnt use 6th gear for a while...it kept in 5 while the poke was in D. Normally it would hold a lower gear when in D/S but this time I was keeping a steady speed, and the gear lever was in D.

Ten kilometers further down the wrong it did upshift to 6th gear after I slowed down completely to a standstil.

Anyone else who got these issues? The sound is really really weird

But aside from these situations the car is absolutely perfect and upshifts and downshits like a charm. And the engine is a beast!!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by BMW535d' date='Mar 29 2005, 02:25 PM
My transmission has a mind of its own... In the last month these 3 events occured:

First: I was driving around 70kph (40miles) and went full throttle to overtake...then I heard a really weird "jerk / sound" and the transmission refused to shift back and the car stalled (as in not wanting to accelerate while I had my foot down)... then 10 secs later everything was fine and overtook the car like a yet.

Second: 2 Weeks later, same thing happened at approximately the same speed, full throttle, weird jerk.

When I try to duplicate these events ( by going full throttle again at the same speed)? it won't and downshifts fine and smooth as normally.

Third: Yesterday my car didnt use 6th gear for a while...it kept in 5 while the poke was in D. Normally it would hold a lower gear when in D/S but this time I was keeping a steady speed, and the gear lever was in D.

Ten kilometers further down the wrong it did upshift to 6th gear after I slowed down completely to a standstil.

Anyone else who got these issues? The sound is really really weird? ?

But aside from these situations the car is absolutely perfect and upshifts and downshits like a charm. And the engine is a beast!!
[snapback]108313[/snapback]
Picked up new 535d today and will keep an eye on it and post any problems if any.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

Picked up new 535d today and will keep an eye on it and post any problems if any.
[snapback]108368[/snapback]
[/quote]

nice one mark it's great fun to drive in it
Old 03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

More or less same problem with my 535D but I noticed is after having turned quite sharply:

once after engaging on a motorway after a 360 ? entrance: jerk + delay in downshifting and same symptoms as you
the second time after a 90 ? turn + refuse to downshift until the car is in straight line.

Did you also notice some jerk when the car is reversing at very low speed and gearbox cold?

Than you to keep me posted of the evolution.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Mar 29 2005, 04:39 PM
[snapback]108368[/snapback]

nice one mark it's great fun to drive in it
[snapback]108371[/snapback]
[/quote]

What a car - love it and not even done 100 miles yet
Old 04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Mar 30 2005, 08:36 AM
More or less same problem with my 535D but I noticed is after having turned quite sharply:

once after engaging on a motorway after a 360 ? entrance: jerk + delay in downshifting and same symptoms as you
the second time after a 90 ? turn + refuse to downshift until the car is in straight line.

Did you also notice some jerk when the car is reversing at very low speed and gearbox cold?

Than you to keep me posted of the evolution.
[snapback]108544[/snapback]
I have noticed the "reversing jerk" with gearbox cold on mine too. Has anybody reported/got any answers on this from BMW?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

I do not intend to go to the service until a noticable software upgrade is available.

I am waiting for feedback of version 17 which should have been released on Monday
Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Members

Well, this sounds like a bit of billy but I have this directly from BMW today. I have a 3 month old 530d sport auto(smashing !!) and i have noticed that periodically it hesitates to change up. sometimes, when driving on the motorway at 70-80 mph, it changes up into fifth for no reason. The only way that it will go back into 6th is if you select DS and manually change up. Re-select D and it goes back up to 5th. There is also a distinct change to the engine note.

After 2 visits to the BMW dealer, and a long test drive with technician (the "fault" did not occur during the test drive) the chap went away scratching his head and said he would investigate further.

The next day, I get a telephone call from the BMW dealer who informed me that there is nothing wrong with the car and it is designed to do this. This is what BMW say............

Read this !!!!

On EU4 compliant engines with auto boxes the car will periodically self-clean the particle filter by increasing the engine speed and consequently increase exhaust gas temperature. This will "burn off" soot particles from the filter, leaving it clean. The cleaning may go on for 8-12 miles. The effect is almost as if the car selects SPORT mode by itself.

If it is true, it is very clever but it should be mentioned somewhere in the owners manual (which for the record, I think is a piece of rubbish for BMW). The only credence that I could give this explanation is that when you select the service function on the I drive, the symbol next to the particle filter displays 120000 miles, whereas on other cars, as I understand it, the particle filter has to be manually cleaned at every major service.

All I will say is that if this explanation is not entirely accurate, my gearbox is probably buggered !
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Senior Members

We had some strange sounds in our gearbox to, when driving in 70-80 km/t and just doing a "fast" accelration (not even kick-down) it sounded terrible sometimes. :'(

After some discussions, BMW changed our gearbox for free.. Never heard any noises since the gearbox change...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60Sim' date='May 25 2005, 03:31 AM
We had some strange sounds in our gearbox to, when driving in 70-80 km/t and just doing a "fast" accelration (not even kick-down) it sounded terrible sometimes. :'(

After some discussions, BMW changed our gearbox for free.. Never heard any noises since the gearbox change...
[snapback]132946[/snapback]
Done 2,200 miles now and not noticed any jerk from autobox. My old 530d box however was awful. It held low gears especially downhill, when I wanted accelerate it wanted to slow down. Also on the motorway it would keep hitting 5th unless I selected M6.

Quick Reply: 535d Transmission jerk