E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am owner of 535d 2007 (not LCI). :thumbsdown:
Before I had 530d E39 .
Since I got this car I noticed that transmition in my previous car was much better.

This is the problem;
1. when changing gear from 1-2,2-3,2-1 I feel very bad because it doesn't do it smooth.
Maybe I can compare it with first auto transmition ever so than you can feel what I feel whan this happen.
2. It is toooooo slow!
3. frequently changing gears when driving in town.
4.when u start from 0 to 120 you have feeling that it had 7 speed not 6. This is mayor problem and
bmw service can not help me because they think that everything is normal.
Than I noticed while driving in manual mode in 2.gear that from 2000 to 2500 rpm it makes something like it is
changing gear(but it is not changing it because it is in 2 gear manual.

It is not nice feeling to give 70.000 euro for car and have problems with it every day.

I try to reset transmition but it did not help.

Does enyone has this problem?
What to do?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

I had problems with mine too. I was getting a bit of a kick up the ass when starting off and then when slowing down at roundabouts and setting off again.

Took it into my dealer and explained the problem along with a bluetooth problem and said my iDrive was slow. They upgraded my software to (i think) 26 and the car feels like brand new. The torque is there continuously, there's no transmission slamming and the iDrive now starts up immediately!

I say, take it back to the dealer, say your iDrive is playing up and get it updated. If this doesn't fix the problem then ask for a replacement transmission. As you say yourself, 70,000 euro for a car you're not happy with is madness!

Marc
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='442875' date='Jul 3 2007, 03:15 AM
I had problems with mine too. I was getting a bit of a kick up the ass when starting off and then when slowing down at roundabouts and setting off again.

Took it into my dealer and explained the problem along with a bluetooth problem and said my iDrive was slow. They upgraded my software to (i think) 26 and the car feels like brand new. The torque is there continuously, there's no transmission slamming and the iDrive now starts up immediately!

I say, take it back to the dealer, say your iDrive is playing up and get it updated. If this doesn't fix the problem then ask for a replacement transmission. As you say yourself, 70,000 euro for a car you're not happy with is madness!

Marc
Mine idrive was also slow but I upgrade it but transmition problem is still there...
I had different oppinion on BMW antill now.
Maybe I will make false accident and take cash from insurance company?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

Upgrading the software helped probably because the ECU was reset at the same time.

How did you do the reset?

There was a thread about this not so long back but you can do it yourself by first turning the ignition on (but dont start the engine). Hold the throttle pedal in the wide open position for about 45 seconds, turn off and start it up.

You should find all the factory preset values for gearchanges, etc will be restored and the car should feel like new again!

Over a number of miles you may find it reverting back to its old ways but you can always do the reset again.

Try this first and let us know how you get on.

Failing that it could be a torque converter probelm which isnt unheard of.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Aeroresh' post='442914' date='Jul 3 2007, 07:10 AM
Upgrading the software helped probably because the ECU was reset at the same time.

How did you do the reset?

There was a thread about this not so long back but you can do it yourself by first turning the ignition on (but dont start the engine). Hold the throttle pedal in the wide open position for about 45 seconds, turn off and start it up.

You should find all the factory preset values for gearchanges, etc will be restored and the car should feel like new again!

Over a number of miles you may find it reverting back to its old ways but you can always do the reset again.

Try this first and let us know how you get on.

Failing that it could be a torque converter probelm which isnt unheard of.
I did reset in service for two times and I have not noticed any big difference. After few days everything was the same as before.

Now I will try to reset it myself.
What is wide open position?(I do not understnd english well)
Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear Herzegovina,

They did not install the newest BMW Progman software version into your car!

The new software installation takes more than 4 hours to do.

Ask for the BMW CIP PROGMAN 26!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Members

This is a good post, and very topical to my situation currently.

I to feel the transmission is not doing its job properly.

My car has the usual start off delay, but also suffers from the same thing in the lower gears, it feels that unless I use kickdown there is a pause in the gear changes, it feels like a flat spot. On the motorway it is ok.

I have been complaining about this to my dealer for sometime, on Monday the best tech took the car out and said it was fine. (Usual Urban road test)

I have the lastest CIP (Silver background new colour on Sat Naf! etc) and it has made no difference.

This is my third e60 (525d,530d &535d) and it is the most expense, but is a real let down.What is the point of this car if you cannot transfer the power on the ground. I think its just poor by design.

Is it time to call curtains on BMW, with all the software glichs I am pissed off. The i drive is a mess and week does not go by that another glich appears then disappears, its a brave or rich man who keeps an e60 out of warranty. OR MANY THATS THE POINT.

Driven E class 320cdi sport, much better drive, I know its not going to handle well, but what have I GOT TO LOSE, the e60 has not finished being road tested by BMW and its been out 4 years.

Just purchased new X5 for the wife, great car for the family, but usual quality issues, second visit in one month to the dealer minor issues, and new i drive, just repackaged, will go the same way as e60.

BMW need to lose the arrogance and realise the other manufactures are raising their game.

I am still unsure what to do, and the dealer is too. (ps good guys at dealer ship) a wise man said to me once ' you cannot polish a turd! and maybe this car is just not that good.

Sorry about the long post! :thumbsdown:
Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 Fully Loaded 2005 X5 Fully Loaded

Totally with you guys on the quality and transmission issues.

See my post: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=35549