E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d Sport on demo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of committing forum suicide (or at least being burned at the stake by 535d owners ) I have to say I'm not overly impressed by a 535d sport I have on demo at the moment.

I had visions that the car would feel significantly faster than my 530d but that is just not the case. It is quicker without a doubt but there is not a highly noticeable improvement. If anything the second turbo actually makes the engine sound a bit coarser and less smooth when under hard acceleration as you wind on the power from low speed. Having now driven it I personally don't think it is worth the additional money over the 530d. The fuel consumption is quite alarming after having got used to the exceptional performance of the 530d although this could be down to my prodigious use of my right foot in the interests of scientific research.

I'm also surprised by my reaction to the looks of both cars when parked side by side. I personally much prefer Sapphire black to the Carbon black of this demonstrator. Sapphire just has a lot more depth in my eyes and makes Carbon look like Orient blue when parked side by side. I also really don't like the alumium cube dash trim on the sport (apologies to those that do). I think it would look a lot sharper with the aluminium trim fitted to the E90. I just can't get used to the cube pattern which is overpowering. I also surprised myself by preferring the non-bodykitted 5. I think this may be down to the fact that the standard 18" alloys look somehow lost on the car as the deeper skirts and bumpers add visual depth to the side profile of the car and make it look larger. If I went for a sport I think I'd have to order the new 19" wheel option to compensate for this. Perhaps BMW agree hence the reason for the appearance of a larger wheel on the options list..... The standard headlights also look poor when compared to the xenons which add a real nice technical look to the front that I hadn't appreciated before.

All in all I'd stick with an SE spec 530d.... I'll get my coat
Old 03-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Interesting - I have been planning a 535d demo (mainly out of curiosity). How did you find the low down response ?

Agree with your thoughts on the cube interior - it looks quite odd to me.

On the bodykit - I do prefer the look of the Sport over the SE but to be honest I think its the wheels and the front grill that make the difference the skirts are not obvious and the rear is worse.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Marty,

I agree on the front bumper. If I was keeping my car I'd probably do that mod. I much prefer my style 124 alloys to the 135 M style. They just look more substantial and larger. As for low down response it is better but the difference isn't glaringly obvious. I guess I had high expectations which just haven't been fulfilled. The strange thing is the engine seems to have lost its deep growl.

As I said just my personal opinions but I'd rather spend the near ?4k price difference on pro-nav and an Individual interior on a 530d SE.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Mar 22 2005, 03:40 PM
At the risk of committing forum suicide (or at least being burned at the stake by 535d owners? ) I have to say I'm not overly impressed by a 535d sport I have on demo at the moment.

I had visions that the car would feel significantly faster than my 530d but that is just not the case. It is quicker without a doubt but there is not a highly noticeable improvement. If anything the second turbo actually makes the engine sound a bit coarser and less smooth when under hard acceleration as you wind on the power from low speed. Having now driven it I personally don't think it is worth the additional money over the 530d. The fuel consumption is quite alarming after having got used to the exceptional performance of the 530d although this could be down to my prodigious use of my right foot in the interests of scientific research.

I'm also surprised by my reaction to the looks of both cars when parked side by side. I personally much prefer Sapphire black to the Carbon black of this demonstrator. Sapphire just has a lot more depth in my eyes and makes Carbon look like Orient blue when parked side by side. I also really don't like the alumium cube dash trim on the sport (apologies to those that do). I think it would look a lot sharper with the aluminium trim fitted to the E90. I just can't get used to the cube pattern which is overpowering. I also surprised myself by preferring the non-bodykitted 5. I think this may be down to the fact that the standard 18" alloys look somehow lost on the car as the deeper skirts and bumpers add visual depth to the side profile of the car and make it look larger. If I went for a sport I think I'd have to order the new 19" wheel option to compensate for this. Perhaps BMW agree hence the reason for the appearance of a larger wheel on the options list..... The standard headlights also look poor when compared to the xenons which add a real nice technical look to the front that I hadn't appreciated before.

All in all I'd stick with an SE spec 530d.... I'll get my coat?
[snapback]105206[/snapback]
Oh my god! What have I done, I was looking forward to the extra performance but now somehow I don't think I will be. Oh well I'm getting a whole host of stuff I didn't have before.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

Oh my god! What have I done, I was looking forward to the extra performance but now somehow I don't think I will be. Oh well I'm getting a whole host of stuff I didn't have before.
[snapback]105236[/snapback]
[/quote]

merv trust me the 535d sport is great fun and you will love it
Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Mar 22 2005, 05:12 PM
[snapback]105249[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks Johnno, feel much better now
Old 03-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Mar 22 2005, 08:40 PM
At the risk of committing forum suicide (or at least being burned at the stake by 535d owners? ) I have to say I'm not overly impressed by a 535d sport I have on demo at the moment.

All in all I'd stick with an SE spec 530d.... I'll get my coat?
[snapback]105206[/snapback]

Well, you made me feel a lot better, as there is no way I can afford to change my car. Cheque in the post sir!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:55 PM
[quote name='johno535' date='Mar 22 2005, 05:12 PM']
[snapback]105249[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks Johnno, feel much better now
[snapback]105262[/snapback]
[/quote]

Drove a 535 today and have a 530. It went and went and went. Didn't have the turbo lag of the 530. it growled and looked awsome in Carbon Black. Don't know if I should buy it. It corners a hell of a lot better than the 530. The 530 also looks fatter. That twin turbo does make it move. Dealer claims 32 mpg. Guy driving it is conservative. Without a heavy foot what car quote 32 combined, high 30s motorway driving. Its heavliy loaded, but not got HUD. Who fits a TV in their car for christ's sake. Bitching ride though.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
stu
Members

I always take a great deal of notice of ISUK's mutterings ( on all stuff such as boxsters, 997's, E60, car trim colour combinations etc !) I frequently find I agree with him!

I like Browellms' comment (lol) - I'm chuffed too.

Like ISUK. I've been in a loaner for the last 4 days . Apparently, the main control box ( whatever that is ?) wouldn't accept the software update and they have had to order a whole new system. (also heated seat recall which takes 2 days!)

I'm in a new (05) 530i with 124 wheels and the obligatory E60 10" crack in the windscreen.
For the first 30 miles the new R6 Titanium engine felt really flat after my 530D and I was truly shocked/disappointed.
After closer examination/testing ( during which the fuel consumption average hit 18 mpg ... yuk) I found that it does actually pull ok between 5000 and 6200 but it's not what I'd call accessible performance. I guess the car goes better with a manual box.
The one thing does impress me is the active steering. Wow , its fantastic. The car is wonderful to hustle around slow curves and mini roundabouts with just a 90 degree turn of the wheel. Parking is a pleasure.
It's also given it superb motoway stability and pretty much eliminates the tramlining (under braking) tthat often exasperates me with my 124 wheels.
The loaner doesn't have the sports suspension of my own car and at first felt as if it had been "jacked up" and rolled around a bit. However after a few days I've become accustomed to it and now I like the fact that the ride is better and you can take speed bumps in it at normal speeds.
All in all I've concluded that I like my auburn interior more than the black dakota of the loaner. The silver exterior looks great though and shows the cars lines magnificently.
It's fun to drive another car - but it's made me realise how fantastic the 530D SE is!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

of course the engine is coarser its a diesel, when will you old misers get your wallets out and buy cars with proper engines LOL

Quick Reply: 535d Sport on demo