E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d midrange thrust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Driving down a fast A road today I pulled up behind another car doing about 60mph. As soon as the car pulled in I put my foot down and the midrange punch took me by surprise, the other cars on the inside (50mph) were just like parked cars.

Still only done 500 miles trying to savour every moment.

I notice some members have said the 535d is very smooth and doesn't feel overly quick. Try driving with other traffic and also look at the speedo, the needle goes round as quick as the revcounter needle.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

the other cars probably pulled over as they thought a tractor was coming past good write up though

still i know what you are saying, mine's got 1500 miles on already now so have just started using the DS auto mode a bit...it quite scary....few times i've put my foot down to perform a gentle overtake, looked down to see i've gone from 60mph to ahem 90+'ish (honest officer) in the blink of any eye...need to be careful otherwise this car will be a licence loser...and the sound from that N52 engine is sweet when its revvin
Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Apr 12 2005, 04:44 PM
the other cars probably pulled over as they thought a tractor was coming past? ? good write up though
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

We here in the left side of the Atlantic are very envious. Only caveat (for me at least) is that you're stuck with an autobox.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 12 2005, 08:39 AM
Driving down a fast A road today I pulled up behind another car doing about 60mph. As soon as the car pulled in I put my foot down and the midrange punch took me by surprise, the other cars on the inside (50mph) were just like parked cars.

Still only done 500 miles trying to savour every moment.?

I notice some members have said the 535d is very smooth and doesn't feel overly quick. Try driving with other traffic and also look at the speedo, the needle goes round as quick as the revcounter needle.

[snapback]114474[/snapback]
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Old 04-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Members

Sweet. Mine just turned a week old and hitting 1200 miles(breakin done ). I think it is time to let loose on this beast. The car?s 6spd Auto is a perfect match for the engine (it is the only box able to handle all that ferocious torque).
Old 04-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AfroBMW' date='Apr 13 2005, 03:46 PM
Sweet. Mine just turned a week old and hitting 1200 miles(breakin done ). I think it is time to let loose on this beast.? The car?s 6spd Auto is a perfect match for the engine (it is the only box able to handle all that ferocious torque).
[snapback]115012[/snapback]
Do you love the way the car accelerates rapidly with small throttle input and changes up through the gears say at around 2,000rpm. The feeling is well weird - its awsome
Old 04-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Robert A' date='Apr 12 2005, 11:42 AM
We here in the left side of the Atlantic are very envious.? Only caveat (for me at least) is that you're stuck with an autobox.

[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 12 2005, 08:39 AM']Driving down a fast A road today I pulled up behind another car doing about 60mph. As soon as the car pulled in I put my foot down and the midrange punch took me by surprise, the other cars on the inside (50mph) were just like parked cars.

Still only done 500 miles trying to savour every moment.?

[snapback]114474[/snapback]
[snapback]114488[/snapback]
[/quote]

Robert,

Its a shame you can't at least try one of the diesel E60's to see what all the fuss is about.

The auto box is the only option to have with 535d but it is the best. I had the same with my 530d too. You could probably just get away with three gears as the torque is the thing that sorts out the pace.

Cheers

Merv
Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

Merv,

There is no doubting the fact that the car is very quick in mid range acceleration. It just doesn't "feel" quick by which I mean there is no noise, fuss or drama and you are unaware of the speed you are travelling at. The only way you know you are going fairly rapidly is that it would appear that traffic around you has either slowed down considerably or stopped It would be very, VERY easy to pick up a lot of penalty points (if not a complete ban) in this car. The NVH in this car is so good it has almost been sanitised past the point of fun. The new E90 320d is very similar in this respect. It's sometimes good to feel the sensation of speed too.

For contrast I'm driving an X5 4.8iS this week which feels very fast due to the high driving position and the wail of that glorious V8 The Alpina tuned engine in this car is naughty to say the least. Colleagues have said they can hear me approaching the office quite a bit before I actually drive into view. It is really no bigger size wise than and E61 Touring but it provides a higher grin factor than the 535d. Having said that the tax bill is almost twice as high so it may well be the less involving 535d Sport for me together with a Road angel or some such.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AfroBMW' date='Apr 13 2005, 09:46 PM
Sweet. Mine just turned a week old and hitting 1200 miles(breakin done ). I think it is time to let loose on this beast.? The car?s 6spd Auto is a perfect match for the engine (it is the only box able to handle all that ferocious torque).
[snapback]115012[/snapback]
I've driven other cars with lots more torque using manual gears, no problem there... BMW just doesn't care about it since most customers buying expensive cars want auto... still, the young ones like me still prefer manual

compared to manual, auto just isn't driving... it's for lazy old people

Quick Reply: 535d midrange thrust.