E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535D M-Sport or a M3 Saloon

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d Msport, Silver Grey, Amethyst Dakota Leather, 19" Mixed alloys, Media Pack, Visibility pack, Electric Memory seats, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors. 2007 320d Msport Touring, Sparkling Graphite, Lemon Dakota Leather, Comfort Access, Heated Seats. Westfield Megablade, Honda Fireblade 919cc engine, 135 BHP, 416 Kgs, FAST!!

To stick in my two penneth, I think when considering any 'M' car you cannot be discussing fuel / running costs. If you do you will never buy one

The 535d is to be bought with the head, the M3 with the heart. Only you know whether that itch is big enough to need scratching.

For what it's worth I've got my name on the list, as my itch is sooooo bad I've got cream from the doctor
Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

So there you have it Garry. Out of the two you should choose...both
Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by megablade' post='497719' date='Nov 22 2007, 06:21 PM
To stick in my two penneth, I think when considering any 'M' car you cannot be discussing fuel / running costs. If you do you will never buy one

The 535d is to be bought with the head, the M3 with the heart.
Sooo true! In other words when targeting an M you shouldn't look at the fuel consumption. Expect it to be big and that's that.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='497704' date='Nov 22 2007, 07:48 AM
I think it's awkward to choose between a 535d or M3 as they are two very different cars. If it were me, I'd be running through a checklist...

1) Do you prefer the looks of the E60 M-Sport or M3
2) Do you want the "racing" performance of an M3, or the more useful "power" performance of an x35d engine
3) Discounts on a new M3 will be non existent. On a brand new 535d, expect around ?8.5k (UK) (www.drivethedeal.com !!)
4) Do you need/want a 5 series or 3 series. For me, 3 series is too small for my needs.
5) Do you want the extra "ambience" that the 5 series has, both internally and externally?
6) Do you want your car to look boy racery (M3), or executivey (E60). (yes they are made up words)
7) ... and lots of other things.

I don't really care for the looks of the 3 series (looks cheap IMHO).

+1

You can't compare these two together, very very different cars, price, size, practicality, thirst, running cost (especially insurance I believe), 2 door coupe vs 4 doors saloon, petrol vs diesel.......etc.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I think you would miss the size of the e60 .
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport

My 535d is coming up to the end of its 2 year lease, so I'm currently looking at my options.

One option was the new M3. I've just handed one back after a 3 day test drive and have to tell you it is one amazing car. The sound from the 420bhp V8 is superb - you don't need to upgrade the stereo on this car as the soundtrack from the engine is all you'll want to hear! Performance is in a different league to the 535d. My 535d is stock so that's my comparison here. The M3 accelerates like a rocket. In 2nd and 3rd gear it just flies - you have to be really careful with your licence with this car. It does need to be driven in a different manner to the 535d, as the peak power of the M3 is delivered at about 8k revs. Was good fun in a manual again.

I was a bit worried about the ride quality before the test drive. Shouldn't have been though, it was fitted with the optional Electronic Damper Control, and I'd say on the default setting the ride quality was as soft as the 535d M Sport.

I've got two young kids aged 4 and 2. The child seats fitted fine in the back and the boot was a reasonable size. My only complaint was the mechanism to slide the seats forward to get into the back. You can push the back of the front seat forward, but then you have to press a button on the top of the seat to electronically slide the whole seat forward. Then once the kids are in the back you have to press the button again to move the front seat back to its original position.

My only negative feedback is on the ecomony, especially when you're used to a diesel. My 535d when full claims a range of about 550 miles. The M3 was well under 300 and nearer 250. When you're pushing the car you can literally see the fuel needle dropping. Avg mpg over 3 days was 15. I manage 35 in the 535d.

So I have a similar dilemma now. I can either purchase my 535d at the end of the lease in Jan, or consider the new M3.

I agree it's head vs heart on this one.

Cheers

Roger
Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rxlee' post='497826' date='Nov 22 2007, 08:52 PM
My 535d is coming up to the end of its 2 year lease, so I'm currently looking at my options.

One option was the new M3. I've just handed one back after a 3 day test drive and have to tell you it is one amazing car. The sound from the 420bhp V8 is superb - you don't need to upgrade the stereo on this car as the soundtrack from the engine is all you'll want to hear! Performance is in a different league to the 535d. My 535d is stock so that's my comparison here. The M3 accelerates like a rocket. In 2nd and 3rd gear it just flies - you have to be really careful with your licence with this car. It does need to be driven in a different manner to the 535d, as the peak power of the M3 is delivered at about 8k revs. Was good fun in a manual again.

I was a bit worried about the ride quality before the test drive. Shouldn't have been though, it was fitted with the optional Electronic Damper Control, and I'd say on the default setting the ride quality was as soft as the 535d M Sport.

I've got two young kids aged 4 and 2. The child seats fitted fine in the back and the boot was a reasonable size. My only complaint was the mechanism to slide the seats forward to get into the back. You can push the back of the front seat forward, but then you have to press a button on the top of the seat to electronically slide the whole seat forward. Then once the kids are in the back you have to press the button again to move the front seat back to its original position.

My only negative feedback is on the ecomony, especially when you're used to a diesel. My 535d when full claims a range of about 550 miles. The M3 was well under 300 and nearer 250. When you're pushing the car you can literally see the fuel needle dropping. Avg mpg over 3 days was 15. I manage 35 in the 535d.

So I have a similar dilemma now. I can either purchase my 535d at the end of the lease in Jan, or consider the new M3.

I agree it's head vs heart on this one.

Cheers

Roger
I would have to drive both, but for me the M3 would have to be the saloon. I just couldn't be doing with a 2 door.

15mpg is an issue too, but so is the limited range. I drive around 450 miles a week and hate filling up.

What about a 550i or a 535i (when it finally gets to the UK)?

Regards,
Old 11-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Members

Choices, choices, I know they are very different cars and I know my head is screaming get the loaded 535D but then I watch a video of a M3 and the sound of the engine is rather nice.

Price wise the 535D I was optioning was about 54k so after discount maybe 49k from the local stealer, so about the same as the new 4 door M3 without options, so it would cost maybe 2k more to get the M3 with some reasonable options, a lot of standard stuff is included looking at coupe. Business partner has ordered a X5 for just under 51k so that's my budget

I always dreamed about having a M3 when I had the E46 328ci too but didn't ever think it an option with young kids until the new 4 door appeared.

On my 530D I'm getting about 30mpg, I'd expect maybe 20mpg on a M3 so at 15k miles it's costing me approx ?1000 more on fuel a year, insurance I dunno but I would expect the M3 to get maybe 3-4k more back compared the the 535d at sale time cause I'll get sod all for the 535d options so I'm using that as an argument against the high running costs

Here's the 5th gear video on M3

I totally agree that the head says 535D and heart yells M3
Old 11-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

I just traded my E46 M3 for a CPO 545i. Hated to let the M3 go but it is not the easiest car to live with every day. Very touchy gas pedal and brakes, razor sharp steering, very frim ride, expensive tires that were out quickly... From what I have read the E92 M3 is not as edgy as the E46 but the 5 series has much more room and comfort.

If you are a sports car nut and think you might like to do some track days the M3 is incredible. If you want a great road car with plenty of room and comfort with great power go with the 5...
Old 11-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Members

maybe 20K @ less than 20mpg is going to be painful.

4 door m3s never took off the last time. I'm not sure they look 'right' this time - particularly as people associate the m3 with being a 3 door. That could have a knock on effect come trade in time.

Quick Reply: 535D M-Sport or a M3 Saloon