E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535D M-Sport or a M3 Saloon

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

current car is in my sig, I'm due to change in March and was looking at a 535D M-sport with most options, taking into potential discounts etc the net price would be similar to the new M3 Saloon (?49k list).

I probably do 15-20k miles a year so fuel wouldn't be to big a deal, I just wonder if I'd have 6 months of fun with the M3 before wishing I could have an E60 back, I'll have to keep it 4 years though. Needs to be a 4 door as I have a 1 year old and 3 year old.

So what would would you pick, 535D with all the gadgets or a M3 saloon
Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

I take it you have driven an M3 before? In my opinion, with an M3 u need to drive fast - reach the high rpm - to FEEL the power and have the thrill. With the 535d u get most of the feeling of power (due to the torque) at 2000 rpm. And since u have your sites on an M3 u most probably would chip the 535 to 350HP.

I have fun with my 535d (350hp) even when driving in the congested city - all under the 2000rpm.

So again a matter of taste and where u drive. do u do a lot of highway driving?

i'd so go for the 535d and get an M3 for the wife. Then u can always borrow it
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

For me it would be the M3...CSL Current M3 is quite too heavy if you ask me despite all the wizardry.

Really now, having a 535d i'm quite bored, but don't get me wrong the car is spectacular. The engine is still stock bu it so acts as a petrol engine, pulling almost from idle to redline without a fuss. I just wish it had some extra rpm. But you can't have all. I mean sometimes the car still amaizes me how hard it pulls form 1000rpm to the end. I don't really need more speed since 95% of my driving is in the city and with all the torque and turbo spooling all i need is to feather th throttle and uuups instantly another 20km/h on the speedo. it's like blinking But in the end there's nothing like driving and owning an M. It's just different and so much a drama at every drive. I simply can throw all that torque away just to hear that v8 rev at 8300rpm. PLUS IT HAS AN LSD>>>proper drift !!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Members

I do 50 miles a day on twisty scottish back roads for my commute, cops can be a hassle so I generally keep it under 70 on the straights, I love dynamic drive on the 5, it amazes me how fast you can corner.

I've not actually driven an M3, I'm about to arrange to go see the dealer so have to see if he has a coupe for a test drive, I did have a try in a 335i 6 months ago and I know what you mean about having to make the petrol scream to feel the power, diesiel is nice around town

Previous car to the 530D was a 328ci which I really enjoyed having, but the 5 has been great too

totally agree about getting the wife the M3, if only I could
Old 11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

I have my name down on the waiting list for a M3 convertible.I was disappointed when i saw the M3 coupe in flesh ,it somehow manages to look much less impressive than the standard sport 3 series. I think this is partly to do with the crap wheels ( even the 19") the M3 is given, and the fact it doesnt look different enough from the standard car.

I prefer the shape of the 3 convertible anyway , and hopefully the M3 version will look better aswell otherwise I will cancel my order.

The saloon looks to me not very special in the pics seen so far.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

Split the difference and get a 335D
Old 11-22-2007, 03:24 AM
Members

Oh well, going for a test drive in a coupe on Tuesday, will see how that goes looks wise I don't really mind it looking similar to the normal 4 door, I'm not really looking for a flash car, discrete performance is good
Old 11-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GarryF' post='497699' date='Nov 22 2007, 06:24 AM
Oh well, going for a test drive in a coupe on Tuesday, will see how that goes looks wise I don't really mind it looking similar to the normal 4 door, I'm not really looking for a flash car, discrete performance is good
I think it's awkward to choose between a 535d or M3 as they are two very different cars. If it were me, I'd be running through a checklist...

1) Do you prefer the looks of the E60 M-Sport or M3
2) Do you want the "racing" performance of an M3, or the more useful "power" performance of an x35d engine
3) Discounts on a new M3 will be non existent. On a brand new 535d, expect around ?8.5k (UK) (www.drivethedeal.com !!)
4) Do you need/want a 5 series or 3 series. For me, 3 series is too small for my needs.
5) Do you want the extra "ambience" that the 5 series has, both internally and externally?
6) Do you want your car to look boy racery (M3), or executivey (E60). (yes they are made up words)
7) ... and lots of other things.

I don't really care for the looks of the 3 series (looks cheap IMHO). And I've never been a fan of the M3 (too boy racer). I much prefer the prestige associated with the 5. If I were going to get an M car today, I'd get a used LCI M5 (if they are available yet?? If not, I'd wait for that to arrive, then get a used/ex-demo one after a few months). Buying a new M5 is ruled out due to the cost comparison against a 535d/M3.

Ultimately, as I said at the start, they are two different cars COMPLETELY - you need to think about your daily use of the car and then work out which is going to be more useful. Yes, the M3 will be fun on twisty roads at weekends, but sitting in stop-start traffic with 3 kids on the school run, or in city traffic, or UK motorway in rush hour, 535d every time
Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

brother the M3 running costs are high, so are services, and well with ?1 a ltre (more even later this year)

i would suggest to go for the 535d, plus theres more room for kids luggage etc.

Makes total more sense, unless otherwise go for the ( You know what ) M5.

On this one i reccommend the 535d M Sport 2007 > With all the new Gear levers and interior features!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Contributors

hey,

i was having the same dilemna/crisis/frustration 3 months ago when i could not choose between a x5, 535d and a 335d coupe... after trying out my dad's new x5, it all boiled down to the 535d and the 335d coupe - what eventually turned down the 335d coupe option was the fact that if i were to ever drive my parents anywhere, i would not know how to tell my 60+ year old mum to struggle her way into the back of the coupe. ok, with the m3 sedan, you dont have that problem, but considering the longer wheel base of a 5 series, i would enjoy the comfort vs feel every bump on an e90.. and when you say you do 30k miles / year, that is quite a bit of mileage. a new 535d can be driven under 10l/100, a m3 will need atleast 50% more - in austria that would be over 120 eur more petrol every month compared to the diesel...

otherwise, it surprises me that pricewise a 535d can compete with a m3 - i would have thought that 535d is way cheaper than the m3...

greetinz

Quick Reply: 535D M-Sport or a M3 Saloon