E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d + Diesel Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Hope you can help, I have a Nov 05 535d sport, and have two reoccuring problems which really bug me.

The first

The car has developed a vibration (slight) which can be felt through pedals and steering, it happens at low speeds around 25-45 when accelerating, but also occurs on the motorway when driving in light traffic. I have had wheels checked etc. I have noticed this getting progressively worse. I have also notice if the car is stationary in neutral and I rev the engine it rocks quite significantly, could this be an engine mounting problem? It is very bad first thing in the morning until it warms up .If you think I am mad please feel free to say so!

The second

Is this bloody gearbox, in D it is just so frustrating, I am experiencing slow changes and it always appears confused to what gear it should be in. I came off the motorway (M6 TO M58) the other night and entered the roundabout at the bottom of the hill doing around 30 -40 mph, I then tried to accelerate through the junction and the car just died, (no traction light was on so it was not the stability control) it took a good three seconds to decide which gear it wanted then it was wharp factor three (THEN THE TRACTION CONTROL CAME ON) IF another car had been coming it would have been a body shop job for both the car and me! Has anyone got any advice, I have driven a petrol (525)LCI auto and my wife has the new X5 with the the gearstick from TOYS R US, and I found it difficult to see if their was any improvement, as both cars are different from mind, I object to having to buy a new car as mine it not two years old with only 27k on the clock.

I have had the latest cip (silver background etc)

The car is booked in next week for the senior tech to take home.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

1. From what you describe it could well be a problem with an engine mount.

2. Amongst other things it could be the gearbox control module. This went wrong in my current car and I got stuck in 1st gear. No joke on a 70mph road.

It it is going to the dealer they ought to be able to sort it. With your car still under warranty I would certainly not be considering having to buy a new one.

Regards,
Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

tranny slam?!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

i got a feeling that it may be a transmission prob, but this should be told to the dealer asap, as i believe you in the 3 year warranty period, get it checked soon, otherwise it could be a costly matter if left longer, as you its progressingly getting worse, so get it checked.

Good luck..!
Old 09-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

No idea about the vibration, but the delay in acceleration sounds like a problem I had on my 535d.

In normal driving the throttle response on the 535d is very good, delay like you describe isn't normal.

Have a look at this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...rt=#entry473379

Giveaway on mine was that I'd accelerate....definietly had an effect because the mpg gauge would drop, so the throttle was working...but absolutely no acceleration...I'd then get to the point on the accelerator travel where the car thinks 'change down', drops a gear, revs go up and whoooooosh.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Members

If you find an answer to no.1 tell me, I have exactly, and I mean exactly the same problem. I too have had all the tyres and wheels checked but it does not improve it - and it is much worse in the cold weather. Not what is expected of a car of this calibre?!!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

not sure if the 535d auto has the sport or ds option, but if it does that will hepl in area where there is a need to shift gears. when i enter a free way in the states i use the ds[650]. the shifting is far faster and responce is almost nill.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by lymin6' post='472601' date='Sep 21 2007, 11:21 AM
I Hope you can help, I have a Nov 05 535d sport, and have two reoccuring problems which really bug me.

The second

Is this bloody gearbox, in D it is just so frustrating, I am experiencing slow changes and it always appears confused to what gear it should be in. I came off the motorway (M6 TO M58) the other night and entered the roundabout at the bottom of the hill doing around 30 -40 mph, I then tried to accelerate through the junction and the car just died, (no traction light was on so it was not the stability control) it took a good three seconds to decide which gear it wanted then it was wharp factor three (THEN THE TRACTION CONTROL CAME ON) IF another car had been coming it would have been a body shop job for both the car and me! Has anyone got any advice,
The problem you describe is one that in my view is the Achilles heel of the diesel e60?s be they the single or twin turbo variant - I?ve been informed the delay in throttle application is influenced by many factors not least, according to BMW UK?s written response to me, the cars? compliance to EU4 emission standards - to meet these standards when applying throttle demand the engine rev?s are built up in a controlled manner by the car?s management system, the transmission takes its cue from the applied throttle demand hence the potential for hesitation in gear selection as the demand builds - my own experiences suggest that the delay/hesitation effect is most encountered post a constant throttle application period e.g. this would fit as you describe post exiting a motorway lifting, slowing and re-applying the throttle - this may be what has/is affecting your e60.

My dealer spent time updating/injecting software changes to ?ease? the situation ? BMW UK stated to me that this effect can be reduced by a change in driving style!! They did not suggest the style to use though!! Helpful indeed??????One solution is to flick to DS and force a gear change as you slow into roundabouts, far from ideal in an auto car as it should not be necessary, however needs must in some situations and roundabouts do seem to challenge the e60?s management systems.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

have not had any problems with vibration or the like but i have had the same gearbox problems. the theory about EU4 standards seems plausible but you might also try resetting the box to its default settings.
there are threads somewhere on here detailing how the gearbox adapts to your way of driving and can be reset to default by turning on the ignition without starting the engine and depressing the accelorator (gas ) pedal past the kickdown for 30 seconds.

i have tried this and i find it helps - when i returned to the school run this september after a summer of 'tearing' around the car felt very 'jittery' during the long journey to school in traffic but after i reset things seemed to quiet down somewhat.

alternatively it is all in my head and reset did not do anything - but you could give it a try

good luck
Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Members

Thank you all for replying, I will keep you informed of the out come should know more next week!

Quick Reply: 535d + Diesel Drivers