E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

535 Sports package vs No sports package and Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i Monaco Blue, Cream Beige, 20x8.5 and 20x10 Iforged Vertex, Toyo T1R, M aero kit coming soon (From Quad M)

Curious to know the Pros and Cons of each. I understand the associated equipment I would be missing if I did not get the sports package. I really wanted to understand how much better coilovers (KW variant 2) would handle and how much worse the ride quality would be. I would also be getting aftermarket rims as well (probably 19s) Are those that got sports package happy with the handling/ride balance? Thanks in advace!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

if you get the coil over or like system, you have a 3 series ride with all the firmness. the 5 and 6 series handle better than the 3s and have the smooth ride. you really miss the benifits without the sp. it takes a while to really till the difference between the SP in the 3 for 5/6 series. the 19" really dont and ot detract.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

It all comes down to "what are you trying to accomplish." I would think that the R&D resources that BMW has access to would make their SP very good, and I believe they do. If you want the look of a lowered car you have to weigh that against ride quality.
What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by merklebob' post='453319
It all comes down to "what are you trying to accomplish." I would think that the R&D resources that BMW has access to would make their SP very good, and I believe they do. If you want the look of a lowered car you have to weigh that against ride quality.
What are you trying to accomplish?
The SP is nice, but there is still a lot of intentional understeer. A lot could be had with some spring and shocks (if you were willing to sacrifice that warm squishy feeling).
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Tangled' post='453352' date='Jul 30 2007, 02:55 PM
They handle great for their size, but not better than a 3.
The SP is nice, but there is still a lot of intentional understeer. A lot could be had with some spring and shocks (if you were willing to sacrifice that warm squishy feeling).
I agree. I have had fantastic results just by upping the tire pressure from the recommended 33lbs to 38lbs in the rear to dial in more oversteer and your still under the 41lbs maximum load pressure. Doesn't cost anything.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

the benefit of coilovers is that it'll let you dial the suspension to different settings. i don't know about the kw variant 2's, but typically with coilovers you can set it from a pretty comfy/high setting, to a track/low setting, and everything in between.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The handling / ride balance in my 545 sport is superb. In the LCI 550 sport that I test drove, it was even better. I would just go with the 550 sport if you want great balance.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i Monaco Blue, Cream Beige, 20x8.5 and 20x10 Iforged Vertex, Toyo T1R, M aero kit coming soon (From Quad M)

Thanks for the replies. I probably wil rarely get to the track so it will be a street setup. The last BMW I had was an M3 convertible with the 19 inch forged rims and to me the ride was a touch too firm. So in the end I would like to have the car lowered maybe an Inch, handle great for the mountain roads and still maintain acceptable ride quality. I realize I am asking for allot but any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Contributors

In terms of ride comfort, there is a day night difference between the M3 and a sports package equipped e60. The e60 is just so much more supple, but at the same time can handle mountain roads quite well, though it won't be as nimble or as fun to drive as the M3.

If I had to choose, I'd rather have the aftermarket suspension over the sports package, but the SP does have other add ons to be considered. The wheels, ARS and steering wheel combine to make the SP a must have IMO. Even with the sports package, you can always upgrade the suspension later on if it's not to your liking.

Oh and if you don't track the car, I would just do a spring/shock combo instead of the coilovers.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by diononiz' post='453499' date='Jul 31 2007, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I probably wil rarely get to the track so it will be a street setup. The last BMW I had was an M3 convertible with the 19 inch forged rims and to me the ride was a touch too firm. So in the end I would like to have the car lowered maybe an Inch, handle great for the mountain roads and still maintain acceptable ride quality. I realize I am asking for allot but any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
Taking these aims into account I would say that the SP will definitely meet your requirements. IMHO the SP is an excellent balance for everyday 'road' use between handling and ride quality. I have a new LCI with SP and to be honest I find the whole balance excellent. Sure there are 'better' handling cars, and similarly there are cars with better ride quality, but combined it is an impressive package, particularly for such a big car.

In the past I used to own a heavily modified Subaru Impreza. This was set-up for 'handling' (with numerous Prodrive goodies and group N geometry settings) but with no consideration for ride quality. It would have easily out manouvered my new BMW but the ride quality was appalling by comparison.

Go and test drive a car fitted with the M-Sport package. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Edited to add that my BMW is also fitted with the 19" non RFT option.

Quick Reply: 535 Sports package vs No sports package and Coilovers