E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535 sport automatic transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i

I am a little confused regarding the gear shifting on my 2009 535i. I have the sport package.

I can drive in sport mode by pressing the "sport" button. I can also drive with the gear lever to the left in a type of sport mode, but when I do this, the D turns into S1-S6 and it shifts on its own. If I do manual shifting with the gear lever to the left it is labeled M1-M6. When I have the gear lever to the right and the sport button pushed, it just reads "sport" beside the "D".

What happens if I press the Sport button AND move the gear shift to the left without manual shifting?

I am just curious as to what all of these variations are and if anyone else is a bit confused. The manual really does not go into detail.

It just seems weird to have a sport button when you can just push the lever to the left without the button. Does the performance improve more when the button is pushed and the lever is pushed to the left???

Please no flaming. I no the basic principles of the transmission, but the difference in labeling on the instrument panel has me confused.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Members

Excellent Question, I was wondering the same. I've heard sport button improves throttle response/steering response/possibly anti-roll, but haven't heard anyone with a 100% definitive response.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributors

S1-S6 means Steptronic/Sequential, (one of the two) Gearbox
M1-M6 means Manual Gearbox

Here is the basics of it:

1) pull shifter to the left is sport mode automatic: This mode makes the transmission shift closer to the redline allowing for faster accel. It also has you start in 1st gear from a dead stop. It ALSO stiffens up the steering wheel for sportier manuevering and better control.

2) leave shifter to the right is regular automatic: This mode makes the trans shift sooner to higher gears allowing for better fuel economy and less of a sporty feel to the engine. It also has you start in 2nd gear from a dead stop. It ALSO loosens up the steering wheel giving more power to the power steering allowing easier turn of the wheel especially at slower speeds.

3) pushing the shifter up and down to switch gears: This is manual mode that lets you upshift and downshift to your own taste depending on the driving style. Please note, you do not need to downshift as you come to a stop, the car will still do it for you as you decellerate. Also, you do not need to let go of the gas when you upshift as the electronic throttle control will handle all of that. It ALSO stiffens up the steering wheel for sportier manuevering and better control.

In regards to your "sport" button. I believe this is like the "M" button on the M5. It activates more horsepower and really gives your car an animalistic BEASTLY FEEL.

Yes, our cars are the shit. ENJOY!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by buhbyyy' post='750713' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:46 PM
Excellent Question, I was wondering the same. I've heard sport button improves throttle response/steering response/possibly anti-roll, but haven't heard anyone with a 100% definitive response.
I think you've got the jist of the sport button. I think it does multiple things:
1. More agressive (higher RPM) shifting in D & S1-S6 modes and drops to M1 at a stop instead of M2 (same as moving the shift lever left).
2. Faster response to the paddle shifts, even in manual (M) shift mode. If you hit the paddles twice, it does a double downshift instead of 2 separate ones. And does a small blip at times.
3. Tighter steering (less boost).
4. More agressive throttle response.
5. Possibly a slight tightening of the active roll stabilization. This is not documented or proven anywhere.

It does not change the HP like the M button on an M5.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i

Originally Posted by jzcrna' post='750708' date='Dec 22 2008, 03:34 PM
I am a little confused regarding the gear shifting on my 2009 535i. I have the sport package.

I can drive in sport mode by pressing the "sport" button. I can also drive with the gear lever to the left in a type of sport mode, but when I do this, the D turns into S1-S6 and it shifts on its own. If I do manual shifting with the gear lever to the left it is labeled M1-M6. When I have the gear lever to the right and the sport button pushed, it just reads "sport" beside the "D".

What happens if I press the Sport button AND move the gear shift to the left without manual shifting?

I am just curious as to what all of these variations are and if anyone else is a bit confused. The manual really does not go into detail.

It just seems weird to have a sport button when you can just push the lever to the left without the button. Does the performance improve more when the button is pushed and the lever is pushed to the left???

Please no flaming. I no the basic principles of the transmission, but the difference in labeling on the instrument panel has me confused.

I have the same question for the SAT on my 550: Can't tell the difference between Normal Drive + Sport button vs. Lever to left and no Sport button.

The way I interpret, there are four automatic modes for the SAT (not taking into account manual shifting via flappy paddles or shift lever, which can also be done in any of the modes):
  1. Normal Drive
  2. Normal Drive + Sport Button On
  3. Gear Shift Lever to Left
  4. Gear Shift Lever to Left + Sport Button On

I'm assuming that #1 is least aggressive, and #4 is most aggressive, but I have no idea as to #2 and #3??? As jzcrna indicates, the manual is pretty vague on this.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by ramtip' post='757483' date='Jan 1 2009, 11:36 PM
I have the same question for the SAT on my 550: Can't tell the difference between Normal Drive + Sport button vs. Lever to left and no Sport button.

The way I interpret, there are four automatic modes for the SAT (not taking into account manual shifting via flappy paddles or shift lever, which can also be done in any of the modes):
  1. Normal Drive
  2. Normal Drive + Sport Button On
  3. Gear Shift Lever to Left
  4. Gear Shift Lever to Left + Sport Button On

I'm assuming that #1 is least aggressive, and #4 is most aggressive, but I have no idea as to #2 and #3??? As jzcrna indicates, the manual is pretty vague on this.
IMO, the transmission shift speeds and RPMS are basically the same whether in sport mode or by using the sport button. However the sport button changes the throttle and steering as well. But sport mode in the SAT enables the use of the console shifter for manual modes and keeps you in manual mode once using the paddles. Enabling both does result in the quickest shifts, including allowing a double downshift if you hit the paddles twice (instead of 2 back to back downshifts).

My preference for much driving is manual mode without the sport button. It seems to have a smoother more responsive launch off-line without being too aggressive for in town traffic. I don't mind having to use the paddles or cnsole shifter to shift.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the following thread covers things pretty well:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43318
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='757729' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks for posting that again Rudy, I needed the refresher.

Bottom line is that there are 6 discrete modes with the SAT

The sport button adds a "super sport mode" if you like even when the shifter is moved to the left

Got it!!

And for those considering Sport Auto over step, it's the best $500 option BMW offers today. I love it.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='757729' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks Rudy - that helped.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i

Originally Posted by ramtip' post='757788' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks Rudy - that helped.
Thanks for the post. I read that thread, but there is one thing that was left out.

If you have the sport button pushed and move the lever to the left, the gears will change automatically with an "S" next to each gear number until you manually shift. Once you manually shift then you are required to upshift as necessary and The "S" changes to an "M".

Quick Reply: 535 sport automatic transmission question