E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

535 Oil Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read conflicting reports on which 535s have oil coolers and which might not.

I'm aware that with the 335s some-do/some-don't/your's might... so I don't find the inconsistencies unlikely.

(Of course this has nothing to do with my intrest in any of Steve Dinan's products... so please don't move to the Mod section )

Anyhow, I know what an oil cooler should look like and about where it should be.

I think my stick-shift 535xi wagon has one, but I'm not sure.

Would somebody mind posting a picture of what the oil cooler looks like and just where it is (a.k.a. "Oil Coolers for Dummies)?

Between engine cooling, A/C, innercoolers, etc I'm just not sure what I'm looking at... I just know this car has lots of heat-exhanging going on!

Related question: How difficult would it be to retrofit a BMW oil cooler to a 535 that didn't come with one... assuming that not all cars had them.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

There has been some debate on this subject.
The sedans, with sport ,non ix SHOULD have them. The debate is weather or not the ix, and non sport, and in your case non sedan cars have them cars have them.

Someone recently ( in the mods section say like in the past month month and a half) said his e61 DID NOT have one even though it was a sport model. The owner got in kinda a tift with the dealer and BMW over it NOT having the aux. Oil cooler. As BMW HAD been retrofitting all the E90 sedans that did not have them, I don't know about the e82/87's might check out the 1addicts forum.

e90post.com, you may be able to find out where the oil cooler is on the car , and there is a good chance that it will be in the same location on the E6x cars. The guys there are n54 mod crazy, if you don't believe me look in the turbo section. I have started going there for the most up to date n54 info , as have others here weather they admit it or not.

Rudy in all his infinite wisdom may be able to dig some more concrete info for you.
Sorry I could not be of much help , but I tried to point you in the correct direction.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='652523' date='Aug 22 2008, 11:25 PM
There has been some debate on this subject.
The sedans, with sport ,non ix SHOULD have them. The debate is weather or not the ix, and non sport, and in your case non sedan cars have them cars have them.

Someone recently ( in the mods section say like in the past month month and a half) said his e61 DID NOT have one even though it was a sport model. The owner got in kinda a tift with the dealer and BMW over it NOT having the aux. Oil cooler. As BMW HAD been retrofitting all the E90 sedans that did not have them, I don't know about the e82/87's might check out the 1addicts forum.

e90post.com, you may be able to find out where the oil cooler is on the car , and there is a good chance that it will be in the same location on the E6x cars. The guys there are n54 mod crazy, if you don't believe me look in the turbo section. I have started going there for the most up to date n54 info , as have others here weather they admit it or not.

Rudy in all his infinite wisdom may be able to dig some more concrete info for you.
Sorry I could not be of much help , but I tried to point you in the correct direction.
Good idea... thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

As your looking at the front of the car, its located infront of the radiator and inter-cooler on the lower left side.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Another thing is that if you open the hood up, look at the oil filter area. You will see two fairly heafty Rapped fluid lines , if you trace where they run to you will see the oil cooler in the front of the radiator behind the front grill. So no oil lines no oil cooler in the front grill.

It is NOT located in the same place as the 335 ones in the front right wheel well. Instead we have break cooling ducts...
Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Members

Thank you!

I'm not the dummy I used to be... and the station wagon my wife often drives has everything you describe.

I think that was one small step for my mechanical knowedge and one great leap towards 421 ft-lbs of torque!

Thanks for the excellent descriptions.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I tried to get a photo for you but its cramped in there and doesn't photgraph well.
The radiator is on top of the inter-cooler (vertically) and runs the full width of the radiator. The oil cooler is in front of the bottom portion of the radiator but above the inter-cooler and gets its oil supply and return from the drivers side (U.S. Car). The oil cooler is bright aluminum and has a different cooling element pattern from both the inter-cooler (aluminum) and radiator (black).
I hope this helps.