E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530XiT towing weight limit in europe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530Xit, Ty Silver/Black leather, 6MT, Sport, Cold, Nav, PDC, sport seats, square 18
Model Year: 2007

Hi guys,
Having just moved back into BMW's from years with trailer towing Volvo wagons, I need to add a trailer hitch to my 530XiT 6MT sport pack wagon. I know all about the legal environment that pushes makers like BMW to state low towing limits (or none at all) for the US market, and I know that BMW's are highly regarded in Europe as towing machines and that BMW offers nice Class III hitches as OEM over there on the same cars that they say no hitches in US. Two questions that I haven't found so far:

1. What is the oficial towing weight limit for the 530XiT in European markets? (overall limit and separately the tongue weight). I see that companies like Westfalia and Witter have appropriate hitches rated at 2,000kg (4400 pounds)
2. Are there any known mechanical differences between the US spec cars and the Euro spec cars that would significantly impact the trailer limit? Looks like they all have the air suspension in back.

I am not interested in buying another vehicle just to tow, as came up often in posts I searched for advice. These wagons are built to be multi-use, and are very good at it.

Also, any advice on actually getting a hitch shipped from one of the European suppliers? Several that I found links to say they won't ship to US.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails 530XiT towing weight limit in europe?-cars-home-2.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

You may want to put this in the E61 section.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Permitted trailer load (unbraked) 750kg

Permitted trailer load (Braked) 2000kg

Max permitted towbar download 90kg

There should be no difference between US and EU models for this.

BMW in the UK do a towbar for these models

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/
accessories_enquiry/0,,1156_148179482__bs-NQ%3D%3D@bb-NVRP@bm-Tks3Mg%3D%3D,00.html

(type 'Tow' into search field)

Not sure about shipping though.

Maybe a EU/UK member could get one and ship it for you?

(sorry can't make the link work, might need to cut and paste into browser.)

Keith
Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

http://www.towsure.com/product/14970...te_E61_June_03

Found this link, they ship to US. 14-21 days, you need to e-mail them for a quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 530Xit, Ty Silver/Black leather, 6MT, Sport, Cold, Nav, PDC, sport seats, square 18

Originally Posted by KAF
http://www.towsure.com/product/14970...te_E61_June_03

Found this link, they ship to US. 14-21 days, you need to e-mail them for a quote

Thanks a lot, Keith. The only hitch for the 530 in the US is a very light duty Curt hitch that I don't want to bother with, so these Euro heavy duty units are really desirable. I never looked at Towsure, but it seems to be one of the big names, and really cheap. Any particular reason why they might be so much less than others? I did get the BMW web link open, but they don't say much, just that it is available. I think they use Westfalia, so it should be good but expensive, and I'm sure BMW won't ship to US. However, I do have someone in the UK that I could deliver to and get it here later at the cost of paying the VAT. anyway, thanks again - just what I was looking for.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Towsure are a fairly large UK concern, and due to high volumes can keep costs down. They are generally not the cheapest (although reasonable), but they do the trick, and if they ship to the US, then great. I use Towequipe a lot, but I don't know if they will ship abroad.

I've just today fitted a Westfalia bar to my brother's new Merc C250, and it is indeed very well engineered ( more than I can say for the Merc - I broke more plastic clips today than I have done in fitting a number of BMW, Rover, Ford and Vauxhall bars).

The Westfalia instructions were garbage - I used Witter instructions from their website. The Westfalia papers said "remove bumper". Witter detailed the number and location of clips and screws - important for a first time working on a car, as it saves a lot of time.

As far as the wiring goes, do spend the extra money to get the dedicated wiring kit, as it integrates into the car nicely, is generally less fiddly to fit, and you don't need to get the car coded for it to operate.

Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Members

Thanks, Mike. The different instruction sources will be very helpful, as is the hint on wiring.

If all three hitches were available, Westfalia, Witter and Towsure (all detachable bar), is there an agreed order of preference aside from prices?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

In decreasing order of price!!

Westfalia, in my experience are by far the best engineered.
Witter are excellent, but when you put it next to a Westfalia bar, it looks mediocre.
Towsure, I'm not sure about (pun intended) as I haven't fitted one of those for a while - probably on a par with Witter, although Towsure used to be the lower end of the market. I stand to be corrected, but I think Witter have gone downhill, whereas Towsure has gone up.

My car? I have a Witter, but only because I got one cheap!!!
(I've previously had Thule/Brink and Bosal too)

Mike
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530, Nav, HUD, Sat Radio, Xenon, Cold Pkg,

I own a 530xiT Manual Transmission and I installed a Westphalia hitch. I have towed a 17 foot whaler that all together weighs about 2000 lbs up and down the east coast with no issues except a surprisingly big drop in gas milage. Like from 28mpg to 18 mpg. The Westphalia hitch is 50mm which is plenty close to 2 inches, but that was one of the reasons stated for not shipping to the US. It is actually easy to install and really stong.
It is almost impossible to import the hitch. I had to get someone to bring it in baggage. Or perhaps you could find someone in Europe to personally ship it. I could not find a company that would ship it to me.
The lights present another issue.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Newdetour
I own a 530xiT Manual Transmission and I installed a Westphalia hitch.
I could not find a company that would ship it to me.
The lights present another issue.
I too am currently looking for a Westfalia towbar. They are indeed non-existent in the US. Maybe some of our German friends would order a few and put them in the DeutschePost.

Lights are simple. Just a little adapter. If I ever get a towbar I will make kit for other US folks that need the wiring for lights.

What I have been doing is searching ebay.de and asking/looking if sellers ship to the US.

Quick Reply: 530XiT towing weight limit in europe?