E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530xi idrive alert overheating message

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue Metallic 545I

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='925657' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:20 AM
Hmmmm ... overheat related to engine or electronics? Do you have Navigation?
If that was directed to me i dont have the navi. I wish . I live in arizona so its like 110 Degrees outside lately. And it has plenty of fluids
Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

No ... sorry ... I meant to the OP ...

Originally Posted by ConviktColby' post='925822' date='Jun 27 2009, 03:43 PM
If that was directed to me i dont have the navi. I wish . I live in arizona so its like 110 Degrees outside lately. And it has plenty of fluids
Old 06-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='925830' date='Jun 27 2009, 03:59 PM
No ... sorry ... I meant to the OP ...
I do have Navigation and its a 6 sp manual.... i'm interested to know your thoughts. any experience with a false message with nav?

also the SA is thinking that its more of an electronic/sensor problem. they are waiting to hear back from BMW with the PUMA case. they told me that they tested the car overnight and all the monitors while hooked up to the car showed that the car was not overheating. (prior to this testing, the water pump and thermostat was replaced).
Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Since the engine related checked out OK (plus some stuff been replaced) ask the tech to chk on the fan for the CCC navigation module behind the dash ... just a thought maybe the overheat warning being generic & not being specific, I've heard the cooling fan for the CCC tend to fail ... similar to computer when the fan inside fail then the heat may cause failure in a strange manner.

GL!

Originally Posted by jdhmd' post='926298' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:07 AM
I do have Navigation and its a 6 sp manual.... i'm interested to know your thoughts. any experience with a false message with nav?

also the SA is thinking that its more of an electronic/sensor problem. they are waiting to hear back from BMW with the PUMA case. they told me that they tested the car overnight and all the monitors while hooked up to the car showed that the car was not overheating. (prior to this testing, the water pump and thermostat was replaced).
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='926307' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:35 AM
Since the engine related checked out OK (plus some stuff been replaced) ask the tech to chk on the fan for the CCC navigation module behind the dash ... just a thought maybe the overheat warning being generic & not being specific, I've heard the cooling fan for the CCC tend to fail ... similar to computer when the fan inside fail then the heat may cause failure in a strange manner.

GL!

thanks for your input. i will ask them on monday. i also did have an AUX input added into the glove box; do you think this could contribute
Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hmmm ... do you recall if the overheat issue popped up after the AUX installed?

Originally Posted by jdhmd' post='926380' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:31 AM
thanks for your input. i will ask them on monday. i also did have an AUX input added into the glove box; do you think this could contribute
Old 06-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='926532' date='Jun 28 2009, 01:59 PM
Hmmm ... do you recall if the overheat issue popped up after the AUX installed?
good question... I purchased the car CPO and had the AUX input installed during the purchase. the dealer states that the overheating message never came up before and the service records from BMW do not mention any reports of overheating problems in the original 25 K miles.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jdhmd' post='926575' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:46 PM
good question... I purchased the car CPO and had the AUX input installed during the purchase. the dealer states that the overheating message never came up before and the service records from BMW do not mention any reports of overheating problems in the original 25 K miles.
Mentioned it to the SA, but they do not think its the AUX input...
Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

It's not the AUX input but as I mentioned if it started after the AUX input installed then more than likely the fan for the CCC failed either due to aging or they knocked it off during the AUX installed since they have to run wire into the back of your CCC computer in the middle of the dash, why I'm leaning toward the fan is 'cause when you have the overheat warning you have audio cut out issue ... do you have audio issue w/o the overheat warning?

Originally Posted by jdhmd' post='927469' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:10 PM
Mentioned it to the SA, but they do not think its the AUX input...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='927508' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:48 PM
It's not the AUX input but as I mentioned if it started after the AUX input installed then more than likely the fan for the CCC failed either due to aging or they knocked it off during the AUX installed since they have to run wire into the back of your CCC computer in the middle of the dash, why I'm leaning toward the fan is 'cause when you have the overheat warning you have audio cut out issue ... do you have audio issue w/o the overheat warning?

to add more to the story.. I talked with the SA today. he said that the PUMA case recommended for them to change the temp sensor, so now, not only do i have a new water pump and thermostat, but now I also have a new temp sensor. I asked him about the possibility about the fan for the CCC and he didn't seem to think that was the cause. at any rate, while I was driving the car home the message popped up again on the iDrive. it was there for about 10 seconds then disappeared.

in regards to the audio, what happens is when the alert pops up, the audio fades quickly. with respect to them working up the car, they did on overnight test with monitors hooked up and they are very certain the the engine is not overheating. i feel relieve that it is not overheating, but the question is what's the next step? i plan to call them tomorrow and see what they want to do, but it is a pain in the butt not being able to drive my bmw and having the feeling that they don't know what they are doing.. any thoughs?

Quick Reply: 530xi idrive alert overheating message