5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   530i - rough idle + stalling when hot/hot weather (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/530i-rough-idle-stalling-when-hot-hot-weather-149234/)

GreaseMonkey535i 05-03-2019 02:43 PM

Check for a broken wire. Wires around there get brittle.

MooseKnucle Johnson 03-26-2021 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by geo41e (Post 1598467)
umm

used to be a mechanic and still have all my tools..
but how do i know this is the issue ? i'm not the type to just try and see if this is the issue...

havn't seen any other people having the same symptoms as me... i mean...just doesn't make sense.
only happens when very very hot....crazy idle/hunting then stalls...

Yep I seem to be suffering the same issue I have the 2004 530i. I have installed new ignition coils, new plugs and fixed the oil leak I had by replacing the valve cover gasket and gave the old girl an oil change hoping the over due tune up was the problem after seeing how bad the plugs looked. I was optimistic however after getting the engine warmed up it began to cut off while at idle again. This seems to happen more often on warmer days i.e. 70°F+ as well as mostly cutting off on me while stopped at a red light with foot on brake. I haven't had any check lights showing the engine over heating and my foxwell scanner is showing me a code for the secondary Air pump (which I might add is a recurring code) but I don't think that would be the cause of it cutting off once the engine is at operating temperature. I'm still searching for a solution. If you have any suggestions I'm all eyes

Cipher 07-13-2021 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by geo41e (Post 1598329)
Hi All

first post here after a high number of searches, but nothing like mine...anyway... hope you guys can help !

2008 530i (i assume it is the N53 engine)

Symptoms: Engine idle hunting very roughly, shaking the whole car and stalling

Conditions: Only on extremely hot days/when driving for awhile (45+ minutes) and very hot weather. Does not occur when engine is cold.

Additional Symptoms: May not be related, but i also have a strong smell of petrol/exhaust fumes in the cabin, which leads me to believe i potentially have a cracked manifold or maybe leaking exhaust manifold gasket...not sure if related though.

I have had a few looks in the engine and underneath and i do have some oil leakage/seepage... can't see from where though.

any thoughts ? a few of my friends have advised it could be a vaccum leak, but if that is the case, why does it happen only when hot ? possible heat expansion of metal causing the leak...therefore only occurs when extremely hot ?

any help or experiences would be great...

thanks guys !!

Geoff

Hi everyone! First post, new to this forum :D

I may be late to the party, but I have the same issues on my engine, with one added symptom that points me to a faulty ccv membrane. The additional symptom is a whistling sound coming from the engine, only when it's warmed up and in hot weather, and that's when the idle problems arise. I already checked the air-tightness of the intake with no problems or leaks, checked vacuum lines, the tube behind the engine that ventilates the valve cover, MAF, and various other sensors on the intake. Last thing left to check is the CCV.

I also have an oil leak that falls right on the exhaust that comes from the valve cover gasket, which I will be replacing, but that doesn't seem to be the main issue, just an annoying one. But since I have to tamper with the CCV membrane, might as well replace the valve cover gasket.

I will be back here as soon as get the parts and replace them, see if this fixes the problem.

geo41e 07-13-2021 08:58 PM

Fyi

My issue we found out was the intake solenoid.
replacing it fixed the hunting/stalling.

In saying that, I get an occasional hunt/drop in rpm but no codes showing.

Cipher 07-13-2021 10:05 PM

I'll keep that in mind in case the ccv doesn't fix the issue, maybe I'll just clean it to be sure, if possible, but INPA data wouldn't make me think that it's VANOS in this case.
Before this issue I had the same as you, an occasional drop in RPM, but nothing to be too worried about.

McPikie 07-14-2021 06:48 AM

Do these N53s have the DISA valve?

Cipher 07-14-2021 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by McPikie (Post 1611247)
Do these N53s have the DISA valve?

Yeah, two of them to be precise. I have kits for refurbishing them, but they seem fine, probably will wait on it since i would have to pull out the entire inlet manifold