E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Range Rover Westminster Edition,6000 Mile Corvette C4 And titanium Gray 2005 530i

Thanx For The Replying
But I Was Wondering If The Acceleration Time Between The 550 and 530 is Just A One Sec Difference !
And Dose That One Sec Make It A Slow Car?
Anyways I Drive My 530i And Its satisfied me By All The Meaning, I Killed All The E Class Benzed except The New E350 Or The CLS350 Benzes And Thats Why Am Asking Here If That Anyone Had That experience ?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Too bad we won't be getting the 530i after March '06. Still puzzled by the BMW NA decision.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by niktee' post='379466' date='Jan 17 2007, 07:52 AM
Too bad we won't be getting the 530i after March '06. Still puzzled by the BMW NA decision.
You mean 07. Yep, we're going to a 528, 535, 550 and the good ol' M5. Is it me, or does BMW like to go back and forth on model numbers? They had the 528 on the E39 here in the US, but ended it with the E60 from 2004-2007. Now we're losing the 530 and bringing back the 528 and going back to a 535 again. Make up your mind people!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Originally Posted by A-R-H' post='379465' date='Jan 17 2007, 07:51 AM
Thanx For The Replying
But I Was Wondering If The Acceleration Time Between The 550 and 530 is Just A One Sec Difference !
And Dose That One Sec Make It A Slow Car?
Anyways I Drive My 530i And Its satisfied me By All The Meaning, I Killed All The E Class Benzed except The New E350 Or The CLS350 Benzes And Thats Why Am Asking Here If That Anyone Had That experience ?
I was considering the 530i couple of years ago when they first came out with the E60 body style. I test drove it and it felt fine. The straight line acceleration was not as quick as I wanted it to be. I almost bought a G35 or a Lexus IS350 at the time just because they came packed with more horse power (considerably more). I just loved the way the E60 looked and was willing to sacrifice on the power at the time.

Anyway, I did not buy the car at the time because we were moving to a new house. When my move was over, I went to the dealer 6 months later and they did not have a 530i to test drive. I decided to test drive a 545i. I was immediately sold. I felt the power of the V8 and it put a big smile on my face but not on my wallet.

Yes, in American we want more power! I am willing to bit that many folks who do not care about handling will rather buy a G35, M45 or IS350 because they are more powerful cars. People here care a lot about straight line performance. The highways and most roads do not curve too much in most states and people typically don't think about handling like Europeans do.

I do remember that the 530i was quick from 0 to 60. To me it felt almost like the 545. But the difference was that the 545 will get there in style! When accelerating hard with the 530 you feel that the I6 is suffering or working extra hard. The V8 on the other hand does it much more smoothly. It is hard to explain it but you really have to drive a car with a V8 to appreciate it. Now that I bought the 545, I don't think I'll ever buy a car with a six cylinder engine. I'll always go for the V8! It is thrilling experience. It also allows you to have complete control when maneuvering between slow cars (lane changes). You see a tight spot where you could jump to and you'll be there immediately. Can't do that with only I6!

With gas prices at roughly $3.30/gallon (for premium gasoline) it is really no big deal. It is really worth it for what you get back from the V8.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='379437' date='Jan 17 2007, 06:36 AM
This is an amusing thread!

It never ceases to amaze us Europeans how our American bethren can refer to a 3.0 i-6 BMW as 'a dog' and too slow...
It seems that many Americans are very focused on raw firepower ... hp, 0-60, #cylinders, cubic capacity...
In this part of the world, is often about handling and real-world performance weighed up against economy and emissions...

This would kind of explain BMW's recent push to hit certain bhp and 0-60 numbers ... seems that the US market is competing on these specs...
(not that I'm complaining!)

Going back to the OP's question...
IMHO, the 3.0l is a wonderful engine... very refined and balanced and you have more power than you would ever really need...
I think the straight-sixes are BMWs fort? and the naturally aspirated 3.0l is the BMW classic...
We are total HP whores and retain must of our self esteem based on the size of our engins.

Of course, its not how you use it either!

WE try to go fast in our SUVs also with no regard to the environment or safety of others. We have adopted a "bunker"mentality which explains the poplulairty of the hummer and chrysler 300. Small windows and high beltline. THis moring I dropped my kids off and a lincoln Navagater was infront and they were playing Scooby doo cartoons on its video system.

We are raising a bunch of gas guzzling cartoon watching idots!

Performance. If you look at the last 20 years the 0-60 times keep going down. O-60 in 6.4 seconds at one time was a fantastic time! Now its slow because we have incredible technology that we waste on putting smiles on faces instead of reducing our MPG and dependence on OPEC oil.

Bottom line is if your looking for "KILLS" (in Jordan???) then get the 550 for sure. If the 530 is not satisfactory then one must do what they must do. But in the perspective of things, the 530 is a great performer all the way around.

A Dodge Charger with a "hemi" will more than suffice for making kills at thousands less!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: Range Rover Westminster Edition,6000 Mile Corvette C4 And titanium Gray 2005 530i

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='379517' date='Jan 17 2007, 10:49 AM
We are total HP whores and retain must of our self esteem based on the size of our engins.

WE try to go fast in our SUVs also with no regard to the environment or safety of others. We have adopted a "bunker"mentality which explains the poplulairty of the hummer and chrysler 300. Small windows and high beltline. THis moring I dropped my kids off and a lincoln Navagater was infront and they were playing Scooby doo cartoons on its video system.

Performance. If you look at the last 20 years the 0-60 times keep going down. O-60 in 6.4 seconds at one time was a fantastic time! Now its slow because we have incredible technology that we waste on putting smiles on faces instead of reducing our MPG and dependence on OPEC oil.

Bottom line is if your looking for "KILLS" (in Jordan???) then get the 550 for sure. If the 530 is not satisfactory then one must do what they must do. But in the perspective of things, the 530 is a great performer all the way around.

A Dodge Charger with a "hemi" will more than suffice for making kills at thousands less!

Great
Old 01-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='379517' date='Jan 17 2007, 08:49 AM

Nicely put.

We (in the U.S.) are getting more and more spoiled in terms of everything. Self parking Lexuses, overpriced organic food at Whole Foods, huge Suburbans and McMansions for families of four - stop the madness!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='379546' date='Jan 17 2007, 05:06 PM
We (in the U.S.) are getting more and more spoiled in terms of everything. Self parking Lexuses, overpriced organic food at Whole Foods, huge Suburbans and McMansions for families of four - stop the madness!!!
Don't worry...
You are not alone!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Members

I have an 06 530i and its powerful enough to over take traffic on high ways without much of a sweat. However, its going to wow you with acceleration. I even got whipped by a current generation VW GTI from a standing start race once. I was leading in 1st and 2nd gear, but by the 3rd gear the VW GTI had passed me already, man was I embarrassed! Made me seriously consider a 550i :-(
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KickinA' post='379567' date='Jan 17 2007, 09:47 AM
I have an 06 530i and its powerful enough to over take traffic on high ways without much of a sweat. However, its going to wow you with acceleration. I even got whipped by a current generation VW GTI from a standing start race once. I was leading in 1st and 2nd gear, but by the 3rd gear the VW GTI had passed me already, man was I embarrassed! Made me seriously consider a 550i :-(
Correction to my previous post:

However, its NOT going to wow you with acceleration.

Quick Reply: 530i Performance Question