E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530i one year later

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned my 530i for a year and 12,000 miles, love it but something BMW should have done better...

1) the steering wheel position is odd. The telescoping positing is not enough and the wheel is slightly bias to the left. I think it wouldn't bother too much if drivers are under 5'10"

2) steering feels too light (non active steering) it's like Japanese car, love the old mercedes steering feels.

3) steering cover plastics are cheap and loose

4) wind noise form the sunroof, regardless open or close

5) suspension feels loose. e.g. the sensation from bumps/rough-surface are transferred with bounce feelings. Something like over spring rate and lack of damping + insufficient insulations. Commently happens on Japanese cars.

6) overall insulation is not enough

7) i-drive need a separate CPU

8) voice recognition is weak. e.g. It couldn't tell CD or CITY, Tone or Town
Old 01-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Interesting, I have had mine for 14 months with 22,000km and ....

1) I have a right hand drive and the steering wheel is dead center - I do agree on the 5'10" thing cause I am 6'2" and can not adjust wheel to see all of the dash board fortunately I have HUD

2) Have Active steering and am beginning to love it

3) ???? What are the alternatives??? The wheel is the same as other BMWs in construction. isn't it?

4) Not had that problem. First time user of sun roof and only compliant is that when closed it does not keep out other road users noise as much as solid roof. Notice it the most when in a tunnel next to a behemoth truck.

5) Not had that problem - suspension is very compliant

6) Never noticed this, but the coldest it gets here is 35F

7) Yes, Yes, Yes

8) Must be the accent. Mine can't tell the different between TV and CD.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey Bad are you going to the SLO meet? I want to see your car... THAT bad??? what have you been doing to it?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='523155' date='Jan 26 2008, 11:55 AM
Hey Bad are you going to the SLO meet? I want to see your car... THAT bad??? what have you been doing to it?
hey EBM, can't go SLO, too far for me. I didn't mod anything on my e60, it is bone stock. =)
Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='523125' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:44 AM
Interesting, I have had mine for 14 months with 22,000km and ....

1) I have a right hand drive and the steering wheel is dead center - I do agree on the 5'10" thing cause I am 6'2" and can not adjust wheel to see all of the dash board fortunately I have HUD

I'm 6/3" too, I am sure the steering wheel touches your knees yeah? Also if you sit dead center, look at the dashboard. You will see the steering wheel is not centered

2) Have Active steering and am beginning to love it

3) ???? What are the alternatives??? The wheel is the same as other BMWs in construction. isn't it?

I know, I am complaining the material BMW use on this specific piece is very cheap!!

4) Not had that problem. First time user of sun roof and only compliant is that when closed it does not keep out other road users noise as much as solid roof. Notice it the most when in a tunnel next to a behemoth truck.

You can tell the noise different by just open/close the sunroof cover.

5) Not had that problem - suspension is very compliant

6) Never noticed this, but the coldest it gets here is 35F

Sorry, I meant noise insulation not temperature =P

7) Yes, Yes, Yes

8) Must be the accent. Mine can't tell the different between TV and CD.

Try enter address, say CITY it will take you to play CD. Say TOWN, it takes you to TONE control.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='523309' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:33 PM
hey EBM, can't go SLO, too far for me. I didn't mod anything on my e60, it is bone stock. =)

TOO FAR??? NO WAY!!!!! there are a ton of people going from nor cal... even one from vegas I think...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=523186
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='523114' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:20 AM
I owned my 530i for a year and 12,000 miles, love it but something BMW should have done better...

1) the steering wheel position is odd. The telescoping positing is not enough and the wheel is slightly bias to the left. I think it wouldn't bother too much if drivers are under 5'10"

2) steering feels too light (non active steering) it's like Japanese car, love the old mercedes steering feels.

5) suspension feels loose. e.g. the sensation from bumps/rough-surface are transferred with bounce feelings. Something like over spring rate and lack of damping + insufficient insulations. Commently happens on Japanese cars.

#1 - yes, I can't seem to find a good position that is comfortable and does not block speedometer.
#2 - this is odd, I drove several cars and BMW steering was the heaviest and Audi was like grandma Buick
#4 - agree, I can't stop verifying that sunroof is closed.
#5 - Do you have sport? I drive xi with Sport, but xDrive sport package does not include sport suspension.
#7 - absolutely true.
#8 - agree
Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='523114' date='Jan 26 2008, 07:20 PM

After 12000 kms, 7500 miles
1) Agree, the 3-series (E90) has a much better position.
2) The LCI steering is "updated", and I think the resistance is quite OK. But it dosn't have the feel for the road as the E87 or E90. Which of course make sense as it's a heavier car, but still...
3) Really? Mine is ok.
4) My pan roof is quite as a mouse.
5) My suspension feels too stiff when driving on bad roads. I like the "tight" feeling on good roads, but I hope BMW can adjust this on next model.
6) Think it's OK. What do you compare with?
7) iDrive needs a quicker CPU!
8) I use the German version and it has no problem understanding my German with Scandinavian accent... But it is sooooooooooo slooooooooooooooow it makes almost no sense using it.