E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530D Sudden high oil consumption!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D SE Auto, Silver Grey, Media pack, Visibilty pack, Panaoramic roof, Active Steering, Black leather, Memory seats, folding mirrors, extended lighting etc etc

Hi, our car is a 530D is a 2004 touring Auto with 55k always serviced on time etc - Has service/maintenance pack

It has never used any oil between services with the dipstick always showing max when checked every few weeks, never had any engine related issues.

Yesterday while driving, after about 20 miles I noticed a check control warning on the dash, I pressed the check button and the warning 'Engine oil level at minimum' was displayed!

I stopped and switched the engine off, waited a few minutes then checked the dipstick - it was dry!!

I was only a few miles from a BMW dealer so drove slowly there and bought 1L of oil, after filling it up the bottom of the dipstick was wet but still well below the MIN mark and the check contol message was bonging every time the ignition was switched on.

I bought another 1L bottle and that went in as well. The dipstick now showed half way between MAX & MIN.

There has been no smoke or visible leaks and the car has been driving as normal, the only thing I noticed was it souded a bit more diesel like when first started yesterday morning.

The dealer said this sort of usage was very unusual without any obvious fault and offered to check it over but I was a long way from home with a 2 year old on board so not really an option!

It has been driven 300 miles today and the dipstick is now on MIN! - the oil is clearly going somewhere

Does anybody have any ideas or had anything similar??

The only thing I can think of is the turbo but it doesn't smoke - would the particle filter prevent this??

The car is due a service in 1400 miles so will be getting booked in ASAP , it has BMW warranty so will be fully investigated

Stephen
Old 07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Hmmm, this is an odd one! are you sure there is no smoke, as in, have you had someone stand behind the car as you rev it? if you are sure then its likely that you have a breather off and oil is sitting on the engine covers, i would look under the car for any signs!! now if there is no trace then you are looking at the turbo, even though it should show signs of oil burn!!! either way the oil has to be going somewhere!!! Or you could be losing oil through the head gasket into the cooling system!! its really hard to diagnose without seeing the car to be honest!!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

+1 to Rislar, nice to actually have a monkey who knows his stuff
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='938222' date='Jul 10 2009, 08:50 AM
+1 to Rislar, nice to actually have a monkey who knows his stuff
Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D SE Auto, Silver Grey, Media pack, Visibilty pack, Panaoramic roof, Active Steering, Black leather, Memory seats, folding mirrors, extended lighting etc etc

Car is now booked in for next week, still no smoke and no oil leaking anywhere - but still using it?!

Dealer thinks turbo most likely and said particle filter may mask any smoke from the oil burning?

Stephen