E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Sport rough on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody, Im new to this forum, i have recently brought a 2005 530d sport which I absolutely love to bits, but ive come across a couple of problem's, just wondering if you could help me out with them please :

1. Car runs fine most of the time and very smooth except at low speed when I lightly touch the accelerator it seems to jerk before going, the only way I can describe it is seems like something sticks then opens after about 2-3 seconds, its only when I press the accelerator lightly though not when I accelerate fast !! I have searched through this forum and I noted a few people with similar symptoms have cleaned there EGR valve, which I did 2 weeks ago as best as I could (it needed it as it was very much blocked) I thought it sorted the problem out, it was a lot better but the problem seemed to come back again !! (might be related but I had my car cleaned one weekend which they used a jet wash and it seemed to be a lot worse straight after).

2. My air bag/restraint warning light is on !! for the past 10-15 times the passenger seat belt had been put on you can hear a mechanical moving noise like a slight whirring for about 3-4 seconds, but now it doesn't make that noise when you plug in the passenger seat belt and the lights come on ? (could this be a problem with the tensioner ?)

Also I am considering having it profesionally re-mapped would you recommed ?

Hope you can help, Thank you in advance
Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hello and welcome to the forum!

1. Try resetting the gearbox. You can find the instructions in this useful thread: https://5series.net/forums/topic/400..._1#entry423737

2. It does refer to a belt tensioner, I occasionally have the same problem (except the noise). However, I've noticed that when my battery is not 100% full (short town driving etc.), this kind of "errors" appear. Try charging your battery or if you know the battery is still the original one, go change it. These cars are very sensitive for a healthy battery. Even if you don't have any other symptoms that would refer to a low voltage, recharge it or cahnge it anyway .

- Antti -