E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d M Sport Lci

Hi, Just got myself a lci 530d sport 2007. Its been a long time since a got my self a BMW the last one I got was a 1997 e36 328i M sport which I still have and love, But I have wanted a 5 series for a while now so, I did last Friday, and I love it.

I wanted it to be of specific spec but was willing to sacrifice some things for another, 1 of them being the usb connection. Now I'm thinking that was a bad decision, as I am getting conflicted information regarding this and trying to understand what needs to be done.

I have an iphone 3gs and I have the cradle in the armrest, where it plugs into, and charges it and uses the cars aerial, but when asking dealers the cost to add usb, I am being quoted between £400 - and £500 from one dealer, around a thousand from another and it can not be done from another???

Which is it, I am aware there are discussions after discussions regarding this, but can some one point me in the right direction?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

You can get the USB retrofit for £170+vat but you might need extra modules for it to work which will cost extra. Maybe why they are quoting £500 to you. I dont know if youve been looking at the iphone cradles with usb connectors on them so you can plug the iphone in and control the music from iDrive. Even with the USB retro fit you wont be able to use this as the car needs smart phone intergration fitted which wasnt available on the first LCI car and is still a pretty rare option. The USB would allow you to use a memory stick to put a load of music on and browse through I drive or connect the BMW ipod connector to the car.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Lci

Originally Posted by Dandle
You can get the USB retrofit for £170+vat but you might need extra modules for it to work which will cost extra. Maybe why they are quoting £500 to you. I dont know if youve been looking at the iphone cradles with usb connectors on them so you can plug the iphone in and control the music from iDrive. Even with the USB retro fit you wont be able to use this as the car needs smart phone intergration fitted which wasnt available on the first LCI car and is still a pretty rare option. The USB would allow you to use a memory stick to put a load of music on and browse through I drive or connect the BMW ipod connector to the car.

Thanks, so the usb retrofit, is that the one that goes in the glove box where you loose the cd changer? I also here that if the cd player plays mp3 cds its just a case of taking out the changer and plugging the kit in is this correct?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by dexteryout
Thanks, so the usb retrofit, is that the one that goes in the glove box where you loose the cd changer? I also here that if the cd player plays mp3 cds its just a case of taking out the changer and plugging the kit in is this correct?
The USB retrofit I mentioned is option "6FL USB/Audio" and is located in the cubby hole below the mobile phone holder in the centre armrest, you will have a vent there now with a sliding cover. It replaces that. The USB option in the glovebox is the BMW iPod kit and not very good. I've not seen anything about a multichanger that can be fitted that plays mp3s but if you find one let me know.