E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530d M Sport almost stolen - beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: June 2007 LCI 530d M SPORT, Carbon black, black dakota leather, Media pack, Visibility pack, elec mem heated seats, lumber support, high beam assistant, 172M Spider wheels, M-tech spoiler, piano black trim. Sun protection glass.

Hey guys

just thought i'd share with you, 2 days back i woke up at 4am to hear my alarm going off, thought it were a false alarm and waited to make sure it reset, sound stopped but hazards were still flashing which was odd. So dreary eyed got my keys and checked the car and noticed the driver window smashed. I am gutted, the mess the glass had made really upset me. Anyway could not understand why they did this as i never leave anything of value in the car or in sight, i thought perhaps maybe they saw something and try to steal it. Apart from the glass i did notice the OBD cover on the floor which was strange as i would of noticed that.

My neighbor has CCTV and i asked him to check it, to my surprise these thieves tried to disarm the car and start it to steal. They came first, broke the window by pushing a screwdriver in the side trim to exert pressure to the edge of the glass, then they walked away, came back after 10mins and plugged something into the OBD socket. He knew he would have to carefully slide his arm in without setting off the motion sensor.

In the footage i could see the hazard lights flashing once or twice, so he was trying to decode the steering lock, unlock the doors and remotely start it, something went wrong and the alarm activated at which point they (3 of them) ran off. They spent around 10-15mins on my car.

The Autoglass guy said 3 cars like mine had the same damage on the same day, all 3 were Carbon black facelift 530d M Sport models.

This happened in London, bordering Essex so please be beware if you live here.

Such a sad society this has become.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Contributors

That's interesting as a friend had the drivers side door glass smashed near me 2-3 weeks back, they never took anything, just marks around the key fob / push button area...not sure he checked the odb port will have to ask, so it seems to be bmws in the area are being targeted....great!

They where actually trying to decode the car to take it?....suppose it was a matter of time as the anti-theft steps up so do the way the thieves tools to steel them.

What did the police say?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you guys in the UK have it the worse when it comes to car vandals. i couldnt own a nice car over there without having a garage for it.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by turboawd
you guys in the UK have it the worse when it comes to car vandals. i couldnt own a nice car over there without having a garage for it.
It was the same when I lived over in Sweden. My cars were broken in to several times - it really sucks trying to clean up all that glass. I'm pretty glad I have a nice garage to keep thieving fingers away from my toys these days.

Did the cops tell you if you they managed to get away with any of the other cars they broke in to?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

the $25,000 question would be, is there any way to stop this type of decoding? maybe disable or cover lock the obdii port? or?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

maybe they were using this BMW key/transponder programming device via OBD II.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donpb
Wow crazy that there's something like that on the market.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

or maybe even this BMW Commander.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Great!!!!, just what I need more sleepless nights. Sorry your car was damaged dood, f***king bastards .
Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Members

My Ride: June 2007 LCI 530d M SPORT, Carbon black, black dakota leather, Media pack, Visibility pack, elec mem heated seats, lumber support, high beam assistant, 172M Spider wheels, M-tech spoiler, piano black trim. Sun protection glass.

Well the police would only come if the thieves were still on-site, however i had a visit today from the police who mentioned that the crime rate in the area has really rocketed, especially towards BMW. Mainly parts etc like sport bumpers from E39 and E46 were taken as well as X5 wing mirrors (the whole damn mirror!) and PDC sensor strips from 7 series models. What happened to mine is something new they said.

The other BMW's targeted like mine were also not taken, so the software they have is not yet up to scratch it seems.

I had a chat with BMW UK and they said there has been an increase in new models BMW theft, so as i understand all the new models have the start/stop key fob technology - thieves it seems are catching up.

My local dealer, BMW Sytner Harold Wood mentioned they had a new M3 stolen from the secure backyard, the thieves started it without any keys!

The cars i heard are either cloned and sold on or shipped to Europe - how they sell on without any keys etc i really don't understand.

So Guys in the US and beyond, i think you'll be OK! but London / Essex and UK as a whole beware......i have heard that these thieves have networks and cars are taken usually from big cities like London/Birmingham etc etc.

Quick Reply: 530d M Sport almost stolen - beware