E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Hard to Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d

My 530d has recently become hard to start from cold or even after the car is warm, doesnt matter.
It takes at least 6 to 7 turns to get it started, also has a slight 'miss hesitation' occassionally and also a lumpy idle
which is more noticable for about the first 30 seconds after starting.
Car is out of warranty by the way, but has a aftermarket warranty for what they are worth, that came with the car
Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by CS111' post='601800' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:35 AM
My 530d has recently become hard to start from cold or even after the car is warm, doesnt matter.
It takes at least 6 to 7 turns to get it started, also has a slight 'miss hesitation' occassionally and also a lumpy idle
which is more noticable for about the first 30 seconds after starting.
Car is out of warranty by the way, but has a aftermarket warranty for what they are worth, that came with the car
Any ideas?
Not a problem I have with my current LCI 525d, but similar to what happened on one of my past cars. I used to own a Vauxhall Omega (sold as Opel Omega's in Europe) that was fitted with the older BMW 2.5 Diesel Turbo Engine (straight 6 as fitted to the older 525TDS). This same engine was also fitted to Range Rovers of the same era.

When these engines had covered higher miles, they became notorious for bad starting, both cold & warm - but were actually worse when warm. Many forums pointed to warn fuel injection pumps (a common fault) etc. Mine suddenly began to do this, but only initially when warm. Over a period of a month it also effected cold starting, until on occasions, it barely turned over initially (as if it had a flat battery). Tests proved the battery was fine & alternator was changing perfectly.

In my case it turned out to be the starter motor. Even though it sounded as if it was turning the engine over fine, it was in fact spinning over more slowly than it should have. The reason it was worse when warm was because the engine was programmed to provide less fuel on start up to prevent a big puff of smoke and the as the starter was spinning 'slower' it wasn't enough to fire. A new starter cured it 100% with no repeat problems. So maybe this is your problem?

Mine too used to 'mis' for 10 - 15 seconds when it finally fired after spinning over for a while. I was told this was because fuel was being pumped into the engine but not burnt, then when it did start it was effectively 'flooded'.

Long story I know (apologies) but it explains maybe one area for you to look into. It may of course be something completely different in your case? The other obvious thing is Glow Plugs..... what year is your car and how many miles had it covered? The country you're in may also be helful to help diagnose.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply, im in the Uk, N ireland to be specific, car is Jan 05, 47k.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by CS111' post='601805' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, im in the Uk, N ireland to be specific, car is Jan 05, 47k.
My first thoughts then are Starter Motor / Glow Plugs. Interesting thing was when I had starting problems, the starter didn't necessarily sound as though it was turning over slowly, it was only when the new one was fitted that I could hear how much faster the new one whipped the engine over. The sound of my 525d (2007) sounds similar to the sound the replacement starter made on the old car - so they must still be similar in design.

Also think I have read a few posts on here in the past with people having starter problems - do a search.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Members

My car was turning over very slowly when I first got it, just like the battery was low.
Took it to dealer and as soon as I told him he said "That'll be the starter motor". They're notorious for it.
Mine was a 2004 530D and it was changed in October last year so about the same age as yours is now. My car had only done 30,000 miles as well.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='601807' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:50 PM
My first thoughts then are Starter Motor / Glow Plugs. Interesting thing was when I had starting problems, the starter didn't necessarily sound as though it was turning over slowly, it was only when the new one was fitted that I could hear how much faster the new one whipped the engine over. The sound of my 525d (2007) sounds similar to the sound the replacement starter made on the old car - so they must still be similar in design.

Also think I have read a few posts on here in the past with people having starter problems - do a search.
Guess it could be so many things to be honest from what i have read, will take it to the garage next week and hope they can actually find something wrong
Old 06-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

particle filter should also be considered