E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530d exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 AM
MOONRIDE

As many of you might know, the 530d is currently being fitted with a high tech particle filter. The result is almost no soot in the exhaust and thus straight exhaust pipes as oppsed to the bent-down ones.

The cange in production PROBABLY took place somewhere around March 1. BMW press statements have said as of March production. However, straight-piped 530d's have been spotted under shipment as early as last week (ending March 7), which would normally indicate that it was produced no later than the previous week.

For many of us people who are counting seconds to delivery, this is an exciying issue. Mine, for instance, is supposedly to have been produced sometime between 14 and 25 Feb. Whats it gonna be, a dirty bent one or a clean straight one? Can anyone tell me?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I will be well happy if it's straight ones.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: E90 330i Sport & E46 323Ci

MOONRIDE
Sounds great! Since Mercedes has just announced that their new E300 C.D.I. will be available here in the U.S. as a 2005 model, I am almost certain that BMW has now also perfected a way to allow their 530d (and upcoming 535d) to pass U.S. emissions.

Unfortunately it looks like these cars will probably only be available for a few years, until Federal law requires all States to follow the same emission guidelines as California. In the meantime, it looks like the rest of us here can enjoy all that great torque and fuel economy! Downside is they'll likely be priced fairly high. It'll be interesting to see what happens....

R.R.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:40 AM
MOONRIDE

Just trying again...: Does anyone have any indication as to at what exact time they started to fit the filter and the new exhaust on the 530d?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Nope, no idea, as far as I know they started fitting the new tailpipes with the start of production of the new 525d.

Maybe the easiest way to find out if your car will have it is ask your dealer to which emission norms your car complies. If it is EU3 then you do not have the particle-filter, if it is EU4 compliant then you're in luck. ;-)
BMW Fanatics
Old 03-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

Mine, arriving 10th April (got VIN last week), will be EURO-4 with straight tail pipes. Yippeee. Confirmed by dealer today.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 AM
MOONRIDE

Bromwell;

do you have any way of knowing when your car was produced?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

Not really, I suspect very strongly it is still "in production".
Old 03-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Guest_Micsor/dk

I have a 530d with the "normal" exhaust. I?m a little pissed that after 2-3 month of ownership they decide to make this change. Is this an update for the "older" cars? Or is it something you have to pay for yourself?

All the best,

Michael.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

I know how it feels when you get a new car and come to the conclusion that there is a newer version available after just a couple of months, unfortunatelly car makers update their cars all the time so there is no way around this (except buying a new one every couple of months).
BMW Fanatics

Quick Reply: 530d exhaust pipes