E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d egr

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had wondered what the effect of making the egr inoperative would be so bit the bullet and tried last week, the increased emissions warning came on in 5 secs after starting, which seemed staggeringly quick considering theres no telemetry on the valve, must be from measuring the exhaust emissions ?
The improvement in smootheness and driveability is quite considerable, the turbo does seem to spool up quicker from low speeds, almost like having another 1/2 an sb connected
Sure i read somewhere that the hole into the egr can be reduced to keep the light off and the egr operative but reduce its effect, so may try that.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

RESPECT to the innovators

this is one thread to watch
Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Did you just blank the feed to the EGR then Rob, or remove the vacuum ?

Made a nice difference to economy and performance and throttle response on my 320d E46, without the errors, damned sensors eh

Maybe the trick is to do a full EGR bypass but somehow disable the emissions sensor then ?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Yeah my light is on to When i did mine it was fine. I drove around 30 miles no light. i started it from cold the next morning then the light came on.

No difference in mpg but much more responsive around the town. Hardly have to touch the throttle and were off. performance on the open road just feels the same.

When I put on the egr bypass on my old e39 it deffo had more go higher up the rev range

I put a small screw in the end of the pipe. Can't do the usual egr bypass due to newer type. There is an "O" ring seal on the newer ones. I am looking for a secondhand egr so I can mod it but not so easy to get hold of.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='896516' date='Jun 1 2009, 12:12 PM
Did you just blank the feed to the EGR then Rob, or remove the vacuum ?

Made a nice difference to economy and performance and throttle response on my 320d E46, without the errors, damned sensors eh

Maybe the trick is to do a full EGR bypass but somehow disable the emissions sensor then ?
just removed the vac pipe and plugged it as Paul has done Mark.

It will probably stay as it is for now, until the light annoys me and i have to do something about it, also wanted to see how the gbox adapts to the change before i decide which way to go with it, as even that seems better.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

I think in that case we should focus some attn to the emissions sensor for sure, we could block the source feed to the EGR unit at worst to stop the gases reaching the EGR in the first place as well if we can solve the emissions warning problem ?

Gonna ask a few people I know about this............cant be that hard to fool the emissions sensor, its only electronics after all.

Should be no hassle to fabricate a proper EGR bypass once we solve the electrical problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

worth checking yours is the same because i have the daft throttle flap thingy before my egr

getting rid of the light would be good. How is it gererated though? high lambda reading or is there another sensor?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Thats the question atm...see what I can find out on that.

My old 320d had the flap in the middle of the EGR, have not taken my E60 apart to look havin read before you got the problems with the light coming on, kinda avoided it so far.

Looks like its becoming worth some effort however.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

I wonder if moving the lambda out of the dircet flow would help. I bought an adapter for when I de-catted my m5 it stopped the cel light coming on.

I cant believe it is the lambda though and looking on oem there is nothing else to cause it unless it throws the error because it sees the vacuum pipe as blocked? I have INPA but no interface yet so cant clear the code to find out.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I'm not doing this myself, but I've heard people who have done this here have programmed the EGR to be switched off to get rid off the warning. I don't know how this actually has been done, but it's possible though.

Quick Reply: 530d egr