E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d cold start issue all glow plugs changed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been having a hell time with my 530d 2003 62k fbwsh

since the cold weather has started its struggled to start

i turn the key and its not firing up i have to hold the key for nearly a minute of ch,ch,ch,ch,ch starter noise then it finaly fires up goes all lumpy makes a wining noise and splutters a bit so i rev it and it then starts to idle and run normal and will start almost perfect for the rest of the day.

battery and alternator checked out perfect

diags showed open circuit on all 6 glow plugs, all glow plugs changed with genuine bw spares yesterday left car at home today and last night got hoe from work thinking lest test it out and to my horror same issue!?

all oir and filter changed, car funs smooth fast and torquey as it should be no issues anywhere but this (and my hand brake another issue)

the glow plug wire symmbol coes up in the instrment cluster i wait for that to go out i tried giving it 2 heats still no different i am very miffed ands have paid a big bill to garage for nothing

car has swirl flaps removed, fresh oil and filter glow plugs and oil crank case breather gasket changed good battery and good altenator i a miffed ???????????????????????????confused:mad
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all six glow plugs showed faulty it's almost definitely the glow plug control unit, or fuse to it.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Members

can anyone advise the location of the fuse and location of its relay i suspect it must need a relay too
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Members

hi,
i have had 1 530d and 2 535d and they all showed faults on the glow plugs. Never had any difficulty starting though. And never changed the glow plugs. highest mileage was 235,000 miles.

something more obvious. Battery, starter etc.

good luck
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Originally Posted by matttytn2
can anyone advise the location of the fuse and location of its relay i suspect it must need a relay too
Hello there!

Had the exact same problem as you. Ruggish cold start in the beginning,and almost impossible start lately in cold weather like -10 degr.

Yesterday I changed all 6 glow plugs since the diagnose came up with these beeing faulty. Never done such an operation to a car before and was rather proud that I made it all alone :-)

This morning I can hardly describe my dissapointment when I tried to start the car.... everything was just as bad as it was.
So then the next step for me is to change the glow relay/module/control unit (many names for this I see).

It's a real bummer to know I could have changed this unit very easy yesterday since I had the engined "opened up" and the suction manifold off... But I am told that it can be changed without having to take off the manifold, though not as easy as if when it is not there.
I am waiting for my new control unit and will post some pictures if I beat you to it :-)

Would be happy if you found out something before me and you keep me updated!

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Members

I'm not sure there is a relay because the glow plugs are driven by solid state electronics. The fuse is one of the ones in the panel in the glovebox. I don't know which fuse though, but it won't be 5A or 10A it will have to be more.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

same problem here, does fire up straight just only on 4 maybe 5 cylinders, after 15 - 20 second she's running smooth.

I have this problem every year, every time i send it for service bmw tell me i need to change the glow plug. It still start so won't be changing them yet. never had this problem on my E46 320d.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Members

where did you source the control unit jehovden?

its so strange its not been as bad last few days but Monday it started then struggled to stay no and stalled
Old 12-09-2010, 10:10 PM
New Members

The fuse for the glow plug is 100A black and in may 525d e39 is near the battery in the trunk, on a pannel.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how cold does it get there?
possible that fuel is jelling?
has the fuel filter been changed recently?

sounds like the glow plugs arent heating up properly, or lack of fuel/pressure.

Quick Reply: 530d cold start issue all glow plugs changed