E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d or 525d?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I'm sorry guys but I'm a bit of a noob, what's a hard start with an automatic gearbox??
Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='225413' date='Jan 17 2006, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry guys but I'm a bit of a noob, what's a hard start with an automatic gearbox??
push the brake, then rapidly push the accelrator and build up the revs on the engine,
then release brake... thats it.. just makes sure you start at a higher rev so the engine
has more torque to get you going

its called torque braking
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='224767' date='Jan 16 2006, 01:05 AM
Hi,

I went with a friend of mine who deals MBs for a ride in my new car. Before buying it he borrowed me some E class MBs but i prefer BMWs. As part of the trade he knows the market. Before i buy the car we talked about going for a bare 530d or a full options 525d.
He asked me what did i get but i just smiled and handed him the keys. When we got to the car he commented that i had gone for the 525 because of the extras.
After a while he just said: "you bastard! You blew your budget and went for all"
He was wrong. I got the 525d, but i am testing a tuningbox.

After seing some cool mini-clips here at the forum i made some of my own.
It went from 9.2s on the 0-100km/h mark down to less than 8s (about 7.8s (?)). At high speeds (around 200km/h) is where it is most visible
When i got the box, skeptical by nature, i imagined i would return it right away. But i am planing to keep it...

So my question is: what is the catch? I couldn't find any bad info on the net, unlike the ones i found reporting some turbo problems with ECU remaps.

Thank you!

(sorry for the lack of quality but had lights dimmed and had to convert from MOV to AVI and quality is gone...)
535d is better than 530d, which is better than 525d, which is better than 520d ! Always a question of money !
Especialy in Europe for tax reasons !
ECU remapping permits you for less money to improve the performance...
But for me, a 6 cylinder engine provides more pleasure than 4 cyl., and torque is more important than power in such a car.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: [b]1993 Toyota Supra MKIV (6-speed Targa top) - SP67DBB Single Turbo[/b]

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='224767' date='Jan 16 2006, 01:05 AM
Hi,

I went with a friend of mine who deals MBs for a ride in my new car. Before buying it he borrowed me some E class MBs but i prefer BMWs. As part of the trade he knows the market. Before i buy the car we talked about going for a bare 530d or a full options 525d.
He asked me what did i get but i just smiled and handed him the keys. When we got to the car he commented that i had gone for the 525 because of the extras.
After a while he just said: "you bastard! You blew your budget and went for all"
He was wrong. I got the 525d, but i am testing a tuningbox.

After seing some cool mini-clips here at the forum i made some of my own.
It went from 9.2s on the 0-100km/h mark down to less than 8s (about 7.8s (?)). At high speeds (around 200km/h) is where it is most visible
When i got the box, skeptical by nature, i imagined i would return it right away. But i am planing to keep it...

So my question is: what is the catch? I couldn't find any bad info on the net, unlike the ones i found reporting some turbo problems with ECU remaps.

Thank you!

(sorry for the lack of quality but had lights dimmed and had to convert from MOV to AVI and quality is gone...)

So what tuningbox do you use and is it plug and play and can it be removed when the car has to go to the dealership?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='225523' date='Jan 17 2006, 07:52 PM
535d is better than 530d, which is better than 525d, which is better than 520d !
Define 'better'
Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Originally Posted by 700700' post='225516
push the brake, then rapidly push the accelrator and build up the revs on the engine,
then release brake... thats it.. just makes sure you start at a higher rev so the engine

[/quote]

So, left foot on the break and the right a little on the accelarator (can you do this for a longer period when you're waiting for the green light?)... and then left off the break? Please correct me if I'm wrong

BTW isn't this bad for any parts?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

It's very bad for the automatic gearbox... It's killing the "clutch" in the auto-gearbox!!

I would never do that in our E60! Never!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

When I was deciding what diesel to purchase between the 530d & the 525d I was lucky enough to use both cars for four days each (the 530d SE & the 525d Sport). I opted for the SE over the sport not because of the money but because of the overtly firm ride in the sport with run flats, the SE is firm enough with these tyres.

My car is a 2006 model and the 3.0d engine is a revised unit with better fuel economy and better 0-60 performance. If you check the official stats between the 2.5d & 3.0d for fuel economy they are almost identical. However the torque is much better and the engine is almost silent by comparison. Given a choice between the two I would definately pick the 3.0d
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='225576
Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='225413' date='Jan 17 2006, 04:20 PM

So, left foot on the break and the right a little on the accelarator (can you do this for a longer period when you're waiting for the green light?)... and then left off the break? Please correct me if I'm wrong

BTW isn't this bad for any parts?
[/quote]

i do it at every red light ... 100 times a month, but you gotta time it... once the brake is pressed you have to press the accelerator quickly and release the brake, dont hold it for a long time otherwise you might damage it...

on the 745li i have done it for 3 years with *fingers crossed* no problem whatsoever

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='225621' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:44 PM
It's very bad for the automatic gearbox... It's killing the "clutch" in the auto-gearbox!!

I would never do that in our E60! Never!
not true. if you dont know how to do it, and slowly release the brake i.e. trying to do an sl55 style
burnout then you risk braking it....

Do you know they fit japanese style torque converters / stallers for the e60 ?

besides all bmws are tested from the factory for this also. + bmw produces their automatic 0-60 times using hard starts...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='225654' date='Jan 17 2006, 11:34 PM
When I was deciding what diesel to purchase between the 530d & the 525d I was lucky enough to use both cars for four days each (the 530d SE & the 525d Sport). I opted for the SE over the sport not because of the money but because of the overtly firm ride in the sport with run flats, the SE is firm enough with these tyres.

My car is a 2006 model and the 3.0d engine is a revised unit with better fuel economy and better 0-60 performance. If you check the official stats between the 2.5d & 3.0d for fuel economy they are almost identical. However the torque is much better and the engine is almost silent by comparison. Given a choice between the two I would definately pick the 3.0d
Dang I've gotta try this updated engine!!! It's interesting that only the 3.0 has received the updates - I wonder why? (Actually I presume the 2.0d has the 'technology' already?)

Quick Reply: 530d or 525d?