E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530 w/SMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

I'm torn between the 530 and the 545, SMG and Steptronic (I have an 04 Steptronic 530 now). Since BMW is "taking me out" of my car due to I-drive and various other problems, I have an opprtunity to upgrade at invoice, and therein lies my quandry. Also considering ED for add'l savings and the trip.

Your comments, please (Especially if you've owned or at least driven both).

Confused.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

How hard was it to get a replacement car?
Why is SueBMW having such a hard time?

I would go for the 545 SMG. Don't forget the insurance and gas will cost more.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Euro Delievery is Wonderful. I saved approximately nine prercent between ED, negotiation, and $1000 back from BMW CCA. Plus it is a great vacation. And after 1200 miles, it is fun to drive 130 mph or higher on the Autobahn. The e60 is incredibly stable and refined at high speeds. It makes you appreciate the high quality of the car.

545 vs. 530 I had both. Both are great engines. The 3.0 is a fine engine for the US. It is torquey and ultra smooth. The 545 has a lot of power and has a higher fun factor. A loaded 530 is about the same price as a stripped 545. I would go for the horsepower, if it were me.

Leasing and European Delievery If you lease make sure that they use US MSRP, not Euro MSRP, when calculating the residual value. After all the car is returned in the US for resale. It makes a huge difference in your lease payments. In the Chicago area all dealers try to screw you and use Euro MSRP. Always check the math with lease wizard software when leasing.

After 3,400 miles I look forward to every opportunity to drive my 04 545. It is an awesome ride. Build quality has been perfect for my May 04 build 545.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 16 2004, 05:42 PM
Build quality has been perfect for my May 04 build 545.
[snapback]45672[/snapback]
Too bad we can't say that about the '03 builds.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by branie555' date='Oct 16 2004, 12:49 PM
I'm torn between the 530 and the 545, SMG and Steptronic (I have an 04 Steptronic 530 now). Since BMW is "taking me out" of my car due to I-drive and various other problems, I have an opprtunity to upgrade at invoice, and therein lies my quandry. Also considering ED for add'l savings and the trip.

Your comments, please (Especially if you've owned or at least driven both).

Confused.?
[snapback]45651[/snapback]
if i were you, i'll take the 545 since you have a 530 now. it'll give you a "new car" feeling . but if you change to another 530, it'll "only" give you a "same car with another color (if you get another color)" feeling . i'm sure nobody will say no for extra hp if all the costs are not a factor . also, i'll take the smg. more fun to drive . but it all depends on you. how do you drive and are you the only driver and all other factors.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 16 2004, 04:51 PM

[snapback]45652[/snapback]
I am getting better gas mileage on my 545 SMG than my previous 525ia. I guess my foot was deeper into the pedal on the 525 more frequently.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

branie,

The transmission decision might be a tricky one. Since it seems like you're considering the step or the SMG, you might want to read the SMG FAQ thread here. It has some information that might help you decide between the two...
Old 10-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

The SMG has a "auto" mode also. How does it compare to the steptronic auto mode.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:21 PM
The SMG has a "auto" mode also. How does it compare to the steptronic auto mode.
[snapback]45717[/snapback]
It doesn't. The auto mode on the SMG should not to be compared with a true automatic or steptronic. Most SMG owners rarely, if ever use auto mode.

branie,

The step is probably the finest automatic available today. If you're considering an automatic or an SMG, first take the SMG out of the picture and decide what you'd buy if it were between an automatic and a traditional manual. If the answer is automatic, then it's over -- get the step. If the answer is a manual, then you need to decide between the traditional manual and the SMG. At this point, I say just get the SMG -- you'll thank me later!!

Here's a link to the SMG FAQ. You'll find plenty of additional links there to give you a ton of info on SMG, etc.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 16 2004, 04:51 PM

[snapback]45652[/snapback]
Thanks everyone for the great input. That's why I love this board!

In answer to your query, Jimbo, I met with the Aftersales Marketing Manager (AMM) at the Service Manager's suggestion in June. The car had been in service at this point probably seven times, and I'd been waiting over six months for the fix for my CD/Radio problems (software version 12, before that vers. 11, etc, etc were to have resolved), A/C odor issues, squeaks and rattles. I asked the service manager if he had seen any other E60's with as many problems as mine and he said "no" and suggested I speak to the AMM, which I did. After that meeting we agreed that a Field Service Engineer (FSE) would take a look at the car. I decided to wait for version 12 which I believe became available in July. As this did not resolve the CD/Radio issues and I was getting nowhere fast and becoming more and more frustated, in desperation, I contacted my Sales Advisor and asked him what my options were at this point, as by this time the car had been in the shop nine times for a total of 27 days. I wanted to be rid of this headache once and for all, via a trade in, BMW assistance, or whatever he could suggest. (I really like the car, you see, and just want a trouble free experience). I also asked him to ask the GM of the dealership for a meeting, which he arranged. After meeting with the GM, he (the GM) told me he would contact BMW again and "beat on them" a little to see what could be done. After a few days he called me to say that BMW had agreed to take me out of the car. After further discussion, we agreed on a fair price for my car and that BMW would sell me a new car at invoice.

Although I am taking a hit on the trade ($41,000 vs $48,900 plus tax I paid in December 03 for a car that stickered for $50,220), I feel that BMW is being very fair on this deal since I am getting a MY05 wwith 0 miles as opposed to a MY04 with 14K miles. I should have a better idea of BMW's final solution by this time next week, hence my inquiries as to ED, SMG vs. Step, etc.

If you have any further questions, please PM me on this board.

Finally, I think that SueBMW decided to go the Lemon Law route (as I did also consider) because her dealer(s) would not intervene on her behalf. I did my share of yelling and screaming, and I think it helped somewhat, maybe I was just lucky to have a conscientious GM, Service Manager, and Sales Advisor going to bat for me. Will keep y'all posted. Sorry for the lengthy post, but you asked. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 530 w/SMG