E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530 Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 530 with 45,000 miles. I recently put M6 replica 19 inch wheels with Conti DWS tires on it. When I replaced the tires, they were still the original Conti's They were quiet with still some good wear left on them. I had the new wheels and tires mounted and balanced and had the car aligned by NTB. The car now has a consistent drift to the right. I took it back to the shop and subsequently to another shop to recheck the alignment. Both said the car was in spec. With the original wheels and tires, this never happened. It not real bad but I don't want to ruin a new set of tires. After parking the car,if I get near the tire (i.e. checking pressure) I can smell a very slight tire scent. Any ideas? DOes the car need to be weighted,or anything else to look for? Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Cross rotate the two front tires, does the drift go away? Does it drift the other way? Sometimes tires have what is called a tire pull and the only way to remove this pull is to replace them.

Oh you did not give any specifications of what the alignment specs were.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

Take it to get it aligned to a different place ntb did a horrible job last time i took it then to autoscope and they fixed it. Also do the tire rotation sometimes they mount the tires in different order so every tire will have a different wear so that could cause the pull to one side, check tire pressure some places put too much air on the tires check the tire specs and putt he right pressure

just my two cents i hope it helps

Luis
Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Members

I cross rotated the front tires and ensured the pressue was right. Attached is a scan of the sheet I got. Rear tires 40 psi, fronts are 36 psi530 Alignment Question-alignment.jpg
Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Members

My Ride: MY05 E61 535dA

Originally Posted by stokesrl
I cross rotated the front tires and ensured the pressue was right. Attached is a scan of the sheet I got. Rear tires 40 psi, fronts are 36 psiAttachment 109800
Why does that sheet say E53/X5 ?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

Like i said before if you have checked all of that take it to a bmw specialized place another thing that happened to me was that my car before i got my rims the alignment was not perfect and one of my tires had more wear on the inside fo the tire you could barely notice it but once my car was aligned they showed me the problem they told me i had two options 1 replace two tires option 2 just wait for the other tires to match once that tire started wearing out after being aligned properly so i waited since my tires still had good life on them
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Members

My Ride: MY05 E61 535dA

Pun. Ctuation. Please?!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

If your car was aligned prior to adding new rims with tires why did you re-align the car? A car does not just un-align itself. The culprit should have been obvious. It is the tire. When replacing rims you need to do 2 things that are extremely important to continue the integrity of the ride.

1) Know that your hub bore is 74.1 and then measure center bore of wheel and buy the appropriate hub centric rings. If you're unsure do some research on the wheel you've chosen and/or contact manufacturer.

2) You MUST choose a shop that does Road Force Balance. Do not do a standard "computer balance"....you will eventually have problems. The road force balance is exactly what you need, no less. Otherwise you'll get tiny vibrations during driving. It may be all speeds it may be between 60-80mph (most common) and your car can pull because the tires are not effectively mounted on the wheel appropriately. The RFB will detect the integrity of the tire.

I used to have a friend mount/balance my tires/wheels. I used to get the same tire prices as he does at his shop since we both get them wholesale. However he charges me $60 to do a set which is not bad. But for the last few sets i've had to have them re-done with a Hunter GSP9700 to get perfection. So needless to say, I won't waste my money with him anymore and I will not do without the RFB again.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/images/demo.cfm
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Members

The second place (still a NT rebalanced the tires and it was a road force balancer and it did a much better job on balancing. This obviously didn't help the drift problem.

Just to reclarify the sequence of events, they were:

(1). Original tires and rims, no drift
(2). New tires and rims, fresh alignment - right hand drift and some bumpyness
(3). Recheck by another NTB shop, road force balance and checked the alignment. Bumpiness gone (because of the reblalance) but drift still there. The sheet above came off the alignment machine.

I assumed (yeak I know) that the various models have the same alignment specs. Is that not the case?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

K so you did not try swapping the two front tires from left to right and right to left?

Quick Reply: 530 Alignment Question