E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

528xi goint to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I recently purchased a 2008 BMW 528xi that I would like to take from the US to Europe (Spain) for a 2 year work assignment. I am confused by the fact that in Europe the models seem to be different (no 528xi). I also need certain car modifications to pass Spain's traffic regulations. If you have any experience in this area PLEASE HELP !!!

Questions:

BMW International Warranty
I called BMWUSA and I was told that my 4 year North America warranty would not be valid there but a 2 year international warranty would be in effect. Any experience with the international warranty and BMW shops in Europe?

528xi Model in Spain/Europe
My 528xi has the new N52 engine for 2008 (the one with the updated 230HP engine) but I do not see a similar model/engine listed in Spain's BMW website. This concerns me as I want to have a car that I can service there. Will the 528 with its updated V6 be introduced in Europe in 2008 or is it a US model only?

5 series modifications for Europe
When I bring the vehicle to Spain it will have to pass inspections for emissions, lights, etc. One problem seems to be with the tail lights - in Europe you need amber turning tail lights but here in the US they are red. I found a place that sells 5 series euro tail lights for 2007 models but I think they may not fit a 2008 528xi because apparently they were changed in the 2008 5 series models. Are they the same as 2007? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Help !
If you have moved your US spec'd BMW 5 series to Spain or Europe please let me know. Selling this car and buying a new one there makes no sense even after considering the cost and inconvenience of dealing with modifications and shipping - bringing a EU spec'd car into the US on the way back is even more difficult since the emission regulations here are actually stricter so I would lose twice...

Thank you in Advance
Old 07-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

My company deals with lots of international relocations, mostly between EU and US and I've never heard of anybody having their vehicle shpped between the two continents. They rather compensate the employee for selling the car in the country he's moving out and buying a new one in the destination country.
A good friend and co-worker relocated to Belgium, he owned a 530i here, he sold it. Once he got there, he got a company car, a 525i. Worth mentioning that many positions in EU include a car as a company benefit.

If you do decide to ship the car, you might have to deal with importing taxes/duties.
Just my two cents, sorry I cannot help with your issues.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Members

Hi Wiu,

My company deals with lots of international relocations, mostly between EU and US and I've never heard of anybody having their vehicle shpped between the two continents. They rather compensate the employee for selling the car in the country he's moving out and buying a new one in the destination country.
yes, it does not make any sense to bring a late model from the EU to the US. You need to pass strict NHTSA regulations which in general may require mods that are not just cosmetic... To bring a car into Spain from the US is different. At least in my case the actual modifications are under $1500 and I do not have to pay taxes or import fees. My main concern is with getting the car serviced once it is there and the issue with the tail lights and model compatibility.

If anyone has more info on this please let me know.

Thanks !
Old 07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

First thing, you can drive your car on U.S. plates and registered in the U.S. for up to one year. I realize you are going for two years but I wanted to throw this in.

A few comments:

Originally Posted by bmwyazoo' post='448178
5 series modifications for Europe
When I bring the vehicle to Spain it will have to pass inspections for emissions, lights, etc. One problem seems to be with the tail lights - in Europe you need amber turning tail lights but here in the US they are red. I found a place that sells 5 series euro tail lights for 2007 models but I think they may not fit a 2008 528xi because apparently they were changed in the 2008 5 series models. Are they the same as 2007? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I would try to get 2008 lights since the wiring has been shown to be different even though they are physically the same.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Members

528xi Model in Spain/Europe
My 528xi has the new N52 engine for 2008 (the one with the updated 230HP engine) but I do not see a similar model/engine listed in Spain's BMW website. This concerns me as I want to have a car that I can service there. Will the 528 with its updated V6 be introduced in Europe in 2008 or is it a US model only?
It isn't a V6, it's a I6. European & ROW markets have their own engine upgrades that came with the LCI. They have the 523i, 525i & 530i. The 525i & 530i uses the same engine but with different power outputs. Ur US 528i uses a similar engine, so servicing should not be a problem. If BMWUSA say that u have 2yr Intl Warranty, that means ur car is supported overseas.

Help !
If you have moved your US spec'd BMW 5 series to Spain or Europe please let me know. Selling this car and buying a new one there makes no sense even after considering the cost and inconvenience of dealing with modifications and shipping - bringing a EU spec'd car into the US on the way back is even more difficult since the emission regulations here are actually stricter so I would lose twice...
This is all to do with politics. EU, DOT & Japanese regulations are based on different standards, one cannot be said to be stricter than the other. Japanese & EU regulations are converging whereas DOT isn't
Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

EU is not like the US.

We have regulations for each country and they are - what they are.

I tried to buy a E70 3.0dA from the US but that was fully impossible,
do to all kinds of protectionistic red tape.

I suggest that you sell your car in the US and buy yourself a new one overhere.

In Spain you don't need a 4x4 but a diesel car. Go for a 525dA.

Free commerce, people, rases, religions etc works only on the internet