E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525XI transmission problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried lots of other forums whithout any success... but they don't host a soooo large community as I find here!
I'm from Montreal, Canada and I have a problem on my 2007 525xi automatic with 80K miles that I bought in Chicago a year ago. Yesterday I was going to work and suddenly wanted to make an overrun and it never shift to the next gear, the engine was running at 6000 RPM(as if I was running in manual mode)... I then spent it in manual mode and I had to go this way, the automatic mode unresponsive. When I stop and go, the transitions between gears where made painfully with a strong shot coming from the back each times... as if the differential was badly hung! At the end of my day, wanted to go reverse, but nothing happened(like in neutral position) For cons, I was able to go forward , but only till the third gear and I had to go home by the highway at 30Mph at 4500RPM!!!
Tonight I will try do a tranny reset as I?ve seen here(thanks to AchtungE60 and Krn530) so I hope this to be successful. Someone here had the same experience? Many thanks for your advices.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Members

I am amazed at the number of visits of this post(62 in 2 days wow!) but at the same time a little disappointed with the lack of support for pros, users and E60 fans!
So the verdict is therefore dropped this morning...
Despite its reputation, my ZF GA6HP19Z passed away my mechanic told me ... With 80 000miles on a 525xi 2007 what happened you think ?!?!?
Have you heard about this bad situation? Is this an isolated case?

Now, what do you recommend, a second opinion?
A repair without any idea of how much this will end$?$?$?
A rebuilt one at 2800$?
A used one at 2800$?
It is a very very saaaad day(((
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Well I guess that you haven't gotten any replies because there aren't many with experience concerning such a fullblown transmission failure as far as I can tell.

I've seen a lot of steptronic issues with the 'slam' and/or limp modes, leaks and mechatronic sleeve replacements but only one other complete replacement and that was after repeated limp mode episodes, not a mechanical malfunction like yours seems to be.

Did a quick search again and you might be on your own on this one... sorry. Can say that I know several of these auto boxes making it well over 150k (miles) without notable issues and still going strong, 80 is quite unacceptable to me anyways.

Only real useful advice I can give you is to get a second opinion in expensive cases like this, just to be sure that it is dead and the cause lies within the transmission itself.

Good luck on getting through this episode!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Contributors

The episode you described (though I had a bit of trouble with some of your descriptions) sounds like the transmission is failing. Unless abused prior to your ownership at 80K miles that is premature. My recommendation is to have a diagnosis completed by a BMW dealer. It might be more expensive on the front end BUT relying on a cheaper investigation might actually cost you more money in the long run.

If the service records on your car are complete and thorough - indicating all required maintenance by BMW - it is possible (not guaranteed) that BMW might help out financially. The approach I recommend you take, if they advise the transmission is shot, is that based on BMW's reputation it seems very strange that a complete transmission failure would occur at 4-5 years and 80K miles -- ESPECIALLY in a low-horsepower 525xi.

Good luck with your situation.