E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525i jerky 2-1 downshift update

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 AM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by abdkhan1
Yep listen to this guy. The update will most likely fix your problem. Its the cheapest alternative. What have you got to loose. These trannys on our cars are built to last. Also you might want to consider changing out your tranny fluids and filter.
yup, I agree ,,, do a tranny update . new pan and fluid. is probably all u need,, Member schpenxel and Vapianno from bimmerfest both have changed their selinoids and fixed their tranny issues.. member bmwoem1 has done updates on trannys and fixed the exact same issue u have and others have gotten updates including myself and fixed the 2nd gear jerk coming to a stop... defitnatley have nothin to loose trying those things and saving seveal thousands for a new tranny.....
Ive also heard a essentric sensor will give u shifting issues too, A new tranny is the easy way out, the dealers will just replace with no mercy on ur wallet....
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

I wanted to throw my 2c in here since i have a bit of experience in this area. I have BMW ISTA/X so i was able to program several options.

Items Done:
(1) Pan/filter/fluid change - (No Change)
(2) Sealing sleeve change (preventative)
(3) Program update to latest code (No Change)
(4) +HADS programming (no change) (+HADS = Hard Acceleration / Downshift Program)
(5) Replaced Mechatronic Unit and standard program (Shifting all gears is much better but 2-1 bump still exists)
(6) +HADS program again (No Change)
(7) Back to standard program for further changes.
(8) 2-1TI Programming, required IBAC Code. this is called the 2 to 1 Tip In Procedure, 2-1 bump is gone finally but trans feels different now, like it is always loaded and holding gears longer in low range. Others state they feel the same.

Final analysis : You can spend a crap load of money on this but likely the 2-1 tip in will rectify most of what you are experiencing. thectsc.com has some good info on this.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
I wanted to throw my 2c in here since i have a bit of experience in this area. I have BMW ISTA/X so i was able to program several options.

Items Done:
(1) Pan/filter/fluid change - (No Change)
(2) Sealing sleeve change (preventative)
(3) Program update to latest code (No Change)
(4) +HADS programming (no change) (+HADS = Hard Acceleration / Downshift Program)
(5) Replaced Mechatronic Unit and standard program (Shifting all gears is much better but 2-1 bump still exists)
(6) +HADS program again (No Change)
(7) Back to standard program for further changes.
(8) 2-1TI Programming, required IBAC Code. this is called the 2 to 1 Tip In Procedure, 2-1 bump is gone finally but trans feels different now, like it is always loaded and holding gears longer in low range. Others state they feel the same.

Final analysis : You can spend a crap load of money on this but likely the 2-1 tip in will rectify most of what you are experiencing. thectsc.com has some good info on this.

Good luck!
I'm having some doubts about my current mechanic. I told him that I want solenoids replaced + trans flush. He says this doesn't align with his recommendation and can not give me any guarantee for this work. He'll only follow the instructions (as provided by Vapiano). I also find it very difficult to talk about the details listed on this forum and he refuses to even consider the information brought up here. Is this a red flag? Is this a normal response from a reputable independent mechanic? Can anyone recommend a mechanic out here in LA? The ones I've used and have had no luck list themselves on bimmershops.com and have near 100% ratings on yelp.com.

In regards to 2-to-1 tip in, I spoke to my previous mechanic and he said it's only for 545/550i cars. Is this true?

Last edited by peachykonan; 03-10-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by peachykonan
I've been dealing with a 2-1 downshift jerking issue on an older '04 525i w/ 85k miles.

After bringing it to a mechanic that was mentioned on this site, it looks like the transmission fluid is fine, I have a very minor mechatronic sleeve leak (no drips), and the mechatronics (valve body) and solenoids appear to be fine.

Due to a transmission fault code in the car, they've traced it down to an issue with third gear in the transmission resulting in slippage. He's recommending a transmission replacement as the best fix for this issue with a quote above 6k.

The software is also out of date and adaptations can be reset. They'll try to reset both on on Monday and see if it gets any better (the mechanic doubts it).

Is this price quote normal for a transmission replacement?
I just fixed an M54 the other day E46..same engine. Car had lamda sensor errors, misfiring on all cylinders, and had a bad mass air flow sensor.
Replacing the MAFS made things worse actually. Ended up just replacing the intake side camshaft position sensor, reinstalling old MAFS, reset all adaptions and cleared out all memory from car. Monitored it for 3 hours. Car shifted like butter and owner is very happy. Said it's the best it's shifted in 5 yrs. There were no camshaft sensor errors. But because of experience I knew what to look for with these engines given the symptoms.
$20 fix
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: Bmw E60 530d

i have a 530d e60 and have the same problem with the tranny. downshifts fromn 2-1.
does the software update really help ?
and what is the name of the latest software.
i took my car to bmw here i Denmark, and they told me that my car runs the latest software.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Members

Default Update

Hi guys,

Just adding info from Klaus: 2-1 tip in applies only to 545, 645, and X5.

I don't have the car yet but can report from the mechanic who test drove the car after the service.

2-1 downshift jerk is now gone!!! There's a 2->3 3->2 shift that can be felt but appears to be getting less after a 2nd test drive. He mentioned that it could continually get better due to adaptations being recently reset.

Many thanks to both thectsc.com (Klaus) and Tim from Bimmer PHD!!!

Once I pick up the car tomorrow I'll know for sure.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by peachykonan; 03-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I just fixed an M54 the other day E46..same engine. Car had lamda sensor errors, misfiring on all cylinders, and had a bad mass air flow sensor.
Replacing the MAFS made things worse actually. Ended up just replacing the intake side camshaft position sensor, reinstalling old MAFS, reset all adaptions and cleared out all memory from car. Monitored it for 3 hours. Car shifted like butter and owner is very happy. Said it's the best it's shifted in 5 yrs. There were no camshaft sensor errors. But because of experience I knew what to look for with these engines given the symptoms.
$20 fix
Thank you for this info!

I'm lucky that my engine starts up instantly and still idles well. I've recently cleaned my MAFS a few months ago.

Is there more info on the intake side camshaft position sensor (where is it, what is it responsible for, etc)? What is involved in clearing out all memory from the car?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You can find everything on the site I'm sure. It's a 20 min process. You need BMW software tools to be able to do it correctly. Everyone owning a bimmer needs to have that anyway. Unless they want to go to dealer for every little thing.
I will try to find a location pic....
BimmerBoost - BMW M54 Video - Camshaft position sensor - How to test or diagnose P0369

That should work. As far as deleting you can use INPA, ISTA, DIS softwares. Pretty straight forward. I have some snapshots of the work I did. Of course no errors picked up for camshaft sensor but I because I had all the parts that did error out and call for replacement and changing them didn't work, and because of done this too many times, I knew what the issue was.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Had the exact same issue in my 07 525i, since it was a CPO they checked the tranny and found a leak, after they fixed it my SA told me to bring it back a week later and told me to say the tranny didn't feel right. Boila! They gave me a brand new transmission.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Members

Picked up the car today. Transmission shifting is very much improved with no 2-1 jerkiness. I may have a hiccup between two and three, but that's probably related to the 4F8F I was getting. I'll keep an eye on this, see if further driving improves anything. Will do a followup trans + diff flush in about a month. Overall I'm really happy with the results.

Pictures courtesy of Bimmer PHD:

Last edited by peachykonan; 03-12-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 525i jerky 2-1 downshift update