E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525d LCI owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007 | 05:16 AM
Ulr
Members

I've checked on "REALOEM.com" and its seems that the turbo is the same on both 525d and 530d.

Here is a link to other 525d owners (here) you may ask them by email...

I've post on my french forum, waiting for news...

regards
Old 11-09-2007 | 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='489930' date='Nov 4 2007, 11:35 PM
Will be taking car out on a long run tomorrow - will look out for this noise on mine - but I don't think mine does this. Is yours manual or auto? What is the age & mileage of yours?
I have covered approx. 600 miles this week in my 525d. It definitely does NOT have the 'resonance' noise at 1700 rpm that is being referred to on here.

For the record, mine is an LCI 525d M Sport with manual gearbox and I took delivery on 24th April 2007, so this falls outside of the June / July possible link mentioned on this thread.
Old 11-09-2007 | 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='492187' date='Nov 9 2007, 05:22 PM
I have covered approx. 600 miles this week in my 525d. It definitely does NOT have the 'resonance' noise at 1700 rpm that is being referred to on here.

For the record, mine is an LCI 525d M Sport with manual gearbox and I took delivery on 24th April 2007, so this falls outside of the June / July possible link mentioned on this thread.
I am pleased for you. This means that the problem must be fixable (unless its the auto box of course).

Roll on Tuesday, maybe it will get fixed...

Regards,
Old 11-09-2007 | 09:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ulr' post='492161' date='Nov 9 2007, 02:16 PM
I've checked on "REALOEM.com" and its seems that the turbo is the same on both 525d and 530d.

Here is a link to other 525d owners (here) you may ask them by email...

I've post on my french forum, waiting for news...

regards
I didn't think RealOEM has been updated for a while, the E60 LCI models are not there?
Old 11-13-2007 | 11:10 AM
Senior Members

An update:

Very helpful dealer had the car in today but couldn't solve the resonance riddle.

They compared to a 530d - no problem, and then a 525d. The 525d had additional noise at 1700 rpm (I also listened to it), but not as loud or droning as my car but with a bit of vibration at 1850rpm.

The workshop manager pointed out that at 1700 rpm (stationary), vibration (slight but there) could be felt through the footrest in both my car and the 525d demo car. I hadn't noticed that before.

This could be another test for you guys with 525d.

He suspects it is something to do with the EGR valve/system (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) as they could see the valve opening when the noise starts.

He is contacting BMW technical and going to listen to other 525d they get in the workshop.

I asked why the 530d might be different, he said it could be the bigger turbo.

So in a way I am no further forward.

I have complained again to BMW UK and have asked for refund, repair or replacement.

If anybody else has talked to their dealer about this, I would suggest mentioning the EGR valve.

Not much more I can add except not happy!

Regards,
Old 11-13-2007 | 12:13 PM
Members

Many thanks for the update. For what it's worth ... your not alone
I'll be so free to grab your comments, translate it into dutch and send it to my dealer too. Then they can investigate this matter too. And of course, when I have some news I'll post it immediately. But for now ... let's keep dreaming of a no noise BMW 525d.
Old 11-14-2007 | 11:58 AM
Members

As I said I send a mail too. They searched their databases again and found nothing in Puma, so that name and database are confirmed. They will have an BMW engineer there on December 6 so I'll take a day off and go there. I hope I'll be able to reproduce the sound so will come a step closer to a possible solution.

So my colleagues sufferers, send me all the info and experiences you have so I can talk them through. Because I don't have this sound all the time maybe some of you who does can record the sound so I have something more to throw on the table.

Perhaps a good start would be if all of you fellow sufferers individually describe the problem in as much detail and honestly as possible. Questions that look interesting to me as:

- Do you have the noise always?
- Do you have the vibrations described above?
- Do you have it stationary and driving? In what gears?
- Exact manufacturing date and maybe VIN number (you can send it by PM) *see procedure below to find out
- RPM when the noise is at it's peak
- Any other info that can be helpful

I really hope we'll get somewhere with this.

* Instructions to get the manufacturing date (and other stuff)

- Get in your car.
- Put the key in, nothing else.
- Press and hold the trip reset button for about 10 seconds then the display changes to 01.--
- Release the button
- Entry will change to 01.00
- Now press the button four more times till you reach 01.04
- Bingo => the exact date

See also this post for a complete list: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43925
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:38 AM
Senior Members

[quote name='Bart sMartWeed' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:58 PM' post='494308']

- Do you have the noise always? YES, but less when the engine is cold
- Do you have the vibrations described above?YES very slight vibration though the footrest.
- Do you have it stationary and driving? In what gears?YES, stationary and driving, all gears - whenever at, or passing through, 1700rpm for about 300 rpm. The noise is gone at 2000rpm. At 1500rpm the engine is silent..
- Exact manufacturing date and maybe VIN number (you can send it by PM) build date 13th July 2007
- RPM when the noise is at it's peak1700-1750rpm
- Any other info that can be helpfulThe noise seemed reduced this morning as I drove the car - 0oC, but was still there. If on a noisy road surface, or with the radio on you cannot hear it. If driving gently so the shift point is at about 2000 rpm you get the noise when the engine is accelerating and then as the revs drop when the gear is changed.

I really hope we'll get somewhere with this.Me too

Will send VIn by PM.

Regards,
Old 11-15-2007 | 02:09 AM
Senior Members

sorry, to hear this, but hope its gets sorted!!

Good luck
Old 11-15-2007 | 04:31 AM
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007 LCI e61 530d Touring. Auto, Deep Sea Blue, Natural Brown Leather, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Professional Navigation, USB Audio, Manual Side Blinds

FWIW (as a complete aside) - the Audi A6 2.7 TDI Quattro I test drove had an annoying vibration through the accelerator pedal at this sort of rev range. Something that immediately put me off the car. My BMW 530d (LCI, Sept 07 Build) does not appear to suffer from any such issue.

Quick Reply: 525d LCI owners