5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   525 E60-Post Starter Replacement issues- doesnt shift, transmission failure and more (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/525-e60-post-starter-replacement-issues-doesnt-shift-transmission-failure-more-146815/)

JuniorB 04-03-2017 11:26 AM

Yes I have the same car, yes that is the crank sensor by the started, when you press the start there is slip second delay, any clicking when applied it the starter, where is it from? It is hell to get at, thats were quality parts come into play. Try to straighten the sensor tabs, it may not be the plug, you may have to remove the starter again ,but make sure thats connected. You trans issue sounds like some thing is not connected at the ahifter. There is a small circuit board that is for your ds mode, check the wiring in there. If your friend was in there, thats were i would start. The car will just crank with no sensor, it may pull a related code, but not trans. Unless your battery is weak and your car is not seeing the right voltage, it will throw random codes up.

david888 04-03-2017 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing (Post 1587835)
Try going to realoem.com with your vin number and get down to, engine electric, and take a look.

I don't understand what you mean by this sentence?
[QUOTE When I called BMW, they told me that this time is not required for my vehicle.QUOTE]

I also can't see your photo...

Sorry, I meant to say when I called local BMW and tried to explain what happened and told them about this part (the crankshaft connector). They said the part is not required for my model (525i 2007 3.0L) and that's why it was not showing up in their system. They tried to explain that the part is not meant to be there but I think they are wrong.What is there then?

please, let me know if you can see pictures now.
https://plus.google.com/117536922304...ts/RvZUwdP5f2J

https://goo.gl/photos/m2YqzuKztswqh4WLA

Thanks

JuniorB 04-03-2017 01:49 PM

I don't think he new what he was talking about, all n52 engines are the same sensor,same place. If the connector is damaged, it will come as a kit that you have to assemble. These cars are being parted out,like the e90,I would but it used, cut and made as a pigtail. All the e90 n52 are also the same. I believe the n54, and n55 all use the same sensor in the same location. Use realoem or pelican for your part numbers.

jtbgonesailing 04-03-2017 03:20 PM

I think what the BMW parts man may have tried to convey is, the pigtail you show, is not required as the crank position sensor connector is part of the engine wireing harness assembly.

I see your photos now, thanks... The connector appears to be in good condition. Check the pins in the CPS to insure they are straight and centered in the houseing. The connectors are keyed to allow them to mate together only in one orientation.

david888 04-04-2017 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorB (Post 1587837)
Yes I have the same car, yes that is the crank sensor by the started, when you press the start there is slip second delay, any clicking when applied it the starter, where is it from? It is hell to get at, thats were quality parts come into play. Try to straighten the sensor tabs, it may not be the plug, you may have to remove the starter again ,but make sure thats connected. You trans issue sounds like some thing is not connected at the ahifter. There is a small circuit board that is for your ds mode, check the wiring in there. If your friend was in there, thats were i would start. The car will just crank with no sensor, it may pull a related code, but not trans. Unless your battery is weak and your car is not seeing the right voltage, it will throw random codes up.

Thanks for the reply.
"You trans issue sounds like some thing is not connected at the ahifter. There is a small circuit board that is for your ds mode, check the wiring in there." Can you please tell me where is circuit board located at?
As I mentioned before, my friend took off shift gear holder. Could it be possible that he accidentally have some thing disconnected?

david888 04-04-2017 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorB (Post 1587844)
I don't think he new what he was talking about, all n52 engines are the same sensor,same place. If the connector is damaged, it will come as a kit that you have to assemble. These cars are being parted out,like the e90,I would but it used, cut and made as a pigtail. All the e90 n52 are also the same. I believe the n54, and n55 all use the same sensor in the same location. Use realoem or pelican for your part numbers.

I actually called another BMW dealer and he told me the same thing.
I checked the website you recommended and I can only find the adapter for crankshaft connector is used for 540, 545, and 550 RealOEM.com - Part Search
Though I don't think it's accurate since I have this adapter. Should I go ahead and just order this part?
BMW E53 E60 E63 E65 E66 Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor Adapter Wire Genuine | eBay
Mine looks like it's broken
Thank you

david888 04-04-2017 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing (Post 1587848)
I think what the BMW parts man may have tried to convey is, the pigtail you show, is not required as the crank position sensor connector is part of the engine wireing harness assembly.

I see your photos now, thanks... The connector appears to be in good condition. Check the pins in the CPS to insure they are straight and centered in the houseing. The connectors are keyed to allow them to mate together only in one orientation.

Thanks for the reply.
I think you are right and it's a part of the engine wiring harness assembly. But why then it shows that it doesn't fit my car taking into consideration that it is the part of the engine harness assembly>? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/12517567686/ <-- that's the part I'm trying to buy.

You mentioned the connector is in good condition but I believe I broke it when I tried to connect it unless I'm wrong. If you take a look at pictures again, you would see the connector (with a green rim ) is broken. https://plus.google.com/117536922304...ts/fRHL1j3joVY
Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to figure out should I go ahead and buy the connector?!

jtbgonesailing 04-04-2017 11:10 AM

"I think you are right and it's a part of the engine wiring harness assembly. But why then it shows that it doesn't fit my car"

The connector with the green O ring is part and parcel to the engine electrical wireing harness. What you are looking at a ECS is a short pigtail assembly with connectors at either end. I believe it will plug into your engine wireing harness assembly only if your existing harness was to short to mateup with the crank position connector. That is why ECS site shows it not fitting your car. The existing engine electrical harness is all you need, you don't need any pigtail assembly for your car....

On to the broken connector, your not talking about the connector with the green O ring, but the crank position sensor molded connector. If that's the case, look at the 3 pins within that molded connector and verify they are in fact present and streighten them if any are bent. You may have tried to plug it together without aligning the key. You may have to flip the connector, with the green O ring, over to get the keyway to line up.

If the crank position sensors' molded connector is broken to the point where it does not provide a waterproof connection when the connectors are mated, you will need to replace the CPS.

JuniorB 04-04-2017 12:59 PM

Make sure that you also have the clip to hold it on, it won't stay if it's missing. When you take off the shift console,,there is a plug into a circuit board for the ds side. If that's not connected, or broken,it will be an issue.

david888 04-04-2017 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing (Post 1587877)
"I think you are right and it's a part of the engine wiring harness assembly. But why then it shows that it doesn't fit my car"

The connector with the green O ring is part and parcel to the engine electrical wireing harness. What you are looking at a ECS is a short pigtail assembly with connectors at either end. I believe it will plug into your engine wireing harness assembly only if your existing harness was to short to mateup with the crank position connector. That is why ECS site shows it not fitting your car. The existing engine electrical harness is all you need, you don't need any pigtail assembly for your car....

On to the broken connector, your not talking about the connector with the green O ring, but the crank position sensor molded connector. If that's the case, look at the 3 pins within that molded connector and verify they are in fact present and streighten them if any are bent. You may have tried to plug it together without aligning the key. You may have to flip the connector, with the green O ring, over to get the keyway to line up.

If the crank position sensors' molded connector is broken to the point where it does not provide a waterproof connection when the connectors are mated, you will need to replace the CPS.

" If that's the case, look at the 3 pins within that molded connector and verify they are in fact present and streighten them if any are bent."

Here is the pictures of what it looked like before and after it got broken when I tried to connect it back to the crankshaft sensor. It doesn't have 3 pins but it has three little holes for those pins, and I believe the crankshaft sensor has those three pins.. correct if I am wrong.
https://plus.google.com/117536922304...ts/YZdA8arboJu

Thank you