E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

525 E60-Post Starter Replacement issues- doesnt shift, transmission failure and more

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525i 2007
Default 525 E60-Post Starter Replacement issues- doesnt shift, transmission failure and more

Hi,
I already posted it on different forum but nobody has replied back. Hope you guys can help.
I would like to apologize if anybody has already posted the similar problem. I am new to DIY and, thanks to youtube, I was able to replace brake pads and oil filter housing and coolant gaskets myself. The starter has been replaced by friend.

My car BMW 525i 2007 – 140,000 miles.

One day at the parking lot, my car just wouldn’t start. So my friend checked the battery and decided to go after the starter which he was right. He removed all the filters, sway bar and other parts in order to pull the starter. That was not easy at all as many probably know. He took the starter to the shop, tested and it was bad. A few weeks later, after I got a new starter, he replaced it.

Things didn’t go as we expected . After, he put everything back, one connector/adapter was left unplugged. He could not find where was it located at. Eventually, we realized it was a crankshaft sensor connector. Upload is a picture of connector (it has three pins with a green thing), let me know if I am wrong.

So anyway, when we tried to start the car, it went through a number of repetitive clicking noises (can’t explain the noise very well, but I uploaded a sound I recorded, you can hear what it does when I try to start the car ) before it started. I tried a few times later, same problem. Could the unplugged connector be the cause? Or maybe the air or solenoid? At this point I don’t know what that is. ..

In addition, I received the transmission malfunction error that reads: “gear can be engaged without depressing the brake….” and my “Service Engine Soon” light came on.

When I tried to drive, it won’t shift gears. It shifts to first and second but doesn’t shift into higher gears, therefore can’t really drive more than 40 miles an hour without completely killing the car.
Semiautomatic transmission doesn’t even work. It doesn’t shift at all. Also, when I tried to leave my underground parking garage, I stopped the car right on the hill to see if it has torque to drive upward without pressing the gas pedal , it started falling backward.

Also, (it’s worth mentioning) before my friend pulled starter, he took off shift gear holder while testing neutral cutoff. I didn’t get that part but long story short he took it off and put it back in. The reason I am saying it because after the starter was replaced, I began to get the transmission malfunction error that reads: “gear can be engaged without depressing the brake….” So he felt that might have caused the error.

So the outcome (after starter replacement):
1. Connector is left unplugged
2. Transmission malfunction error with the message ““gear can be engaged without depressing the brake….”
3. Car drives but doesn’t shift into higher gear
4. The delay on startup (clicking noise or missfire)
5. The service engine soon light is on

I am thinking of taking the car to autozone to read the codes. Should I drive this car at all to a close autozone?
Also, I wanna plug that connector back, but I am uncertain which parts I need to take off to make a room for plugging it back? Pelicanparts say it’s located below the starter. I saw the video on youtube how the guy replaced the crankshaft sensor taking the air intake off only…
My main concerns remain to be: the transmission failure, car wouldn’t advance into gears, and clicking noise on startup. Have you ever experienced the same problem? Besides the connector problem, what other issues I might have? Where should I go from here?

Thank you in advance guys. Your input is crucial.
Attached Thumbnails 525 E60-Post Starter Replacement issues- doesnt shift, transmission failure and more-connector-1.jpg   525 E60-Post Starter Replacement issues- doesnt shift, transmission failure and more-connector.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Voice 061.mp3 (524.2 KB, 270 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Don't know that AutoZone, or any generic OBD code reader will help. You need a code reader that will read BMW specific error codes and not generic OBD codes. BMW codes are very specific.

Think I would spend my time getting the crank position sensor reconnected and then see what you have. With any luck, when you get the crank position sensor reattached, the car will behave as it should. Again get the sensor back on line should be number one.

Take your time and good luck...
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM
New Members

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate that.

I will try to plug the connector back on the weekend and see what it fixes. The car didn't have those problems before the starter replacement.

Do you know if that sound/delay on startup has something to do with the transmission or is it unrelated issue?
I attached the sound.

Thanks,
David

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Don't know that AutoZone, or any generic OBD code reader will help. You need a code reader that will read BMW specific error codes and not generic OBD codes. BMW codes are very specific.

Think I would spend my time getting the crank position sensor reconnected and then see what you have. With any luck, when you get the crank position sensor reattached, the car will behave as it should. Again get the sensor back on line should be number one.

Take your time and good luck...
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Voice 061.mp3 (524.2 KB, 259 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

The n52 engine appears to take an extended crank to start. Absent the reference of the crank position sensor, one would expect the extended cranking period. In some cases, I've read, some just won't start.

Without a BMW specific code reader, it's hard to say at this point, what's going on with the transmission. Our cars, e60s, are loaded with controle modules, my 05 has 36 modules working together on the bus network. You remove a sensor from the setup and it is hard to tell where a problem may pop up. Get the CPS reattached and see what you have...
Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM
New Members

Thank you very much for your help.

Ill get this reconnected first and will see if the problem remains. Ill keep you posted

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
The n52 engine appears to take an extended crank to start. Absent the reference of the crank position sensor, one would expect the extended cranking period. In some cases, I've read, some just won't start.

Without a BMW specific code reader, it's hard to say at this point, what's going on with the transmission. Our cars, e60s, are loaded with controle modules, my 05 has 36 modules working together on the bus network. You remove a sensor from the setup and it is hard to tell where a problem may pop up. Get the CPS reattached and see what you have...
Old 04-02-2017, 04:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

I can tell you right now I went thru the same and it was a pain in the ass! the problem was a plug for the crank sensor that is very close to the starter, it got unplugged as I moved all the wires and ccv hoses out of the way.
Some ccv hoses broke also as they get very brittle, gave a rough idle too.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.
Model Year: 2007

A crank sensor off should throw a crank sensor code, make sure you have a charged battery, and it' holds an amp test. If you're charging the battery, use the front posts or disconnect the cables from the rear. Low voltage will cause misc codes,,same as steering wheel sensor.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 AM
New Members

@dakest thank you for the reply. Do you have the same car by any chance? (525i 2007 - E60)
The reason I am asking is because I tried to plug the connector/adapter back to the crankshaft sensor this weekend but it got broken (it was bent already). It was actually pain in the ass to find the crankshaft sensor in the first place.

Anyways, I found this connector on different websites https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...517567686.html and the connector looks identical to what I have it broken, but for some reason it says it doesn't fit my vehicle. When I called BMW, they told me that this time is not required for my vehicle. I'm completely confused. I mean, the connector is there hanging and should be plugged to the sensor.
Some pics I took - https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...D7DfIWuBNS0Mmp
I wonder if you know anything about it.

Thanks a lot again, I truly appreciate it
Old 04-03-2017, 09:05 AM
New Members

Thank you JuniorB. At this point, I just want to connect the adaptor back to the sensor while a local bmw (Alexandria, VA) told me that this part is not required. :// Is it possible that the connector has always been unplugged and just sitting there?
here some pictures https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...D7DfIWuBNS0Mmp
Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Try going to realoem.com with your vin number and get down to, engine electric, and take a look.

I don't understand what you mean by this sentence?
[QUOTE When I called BMW, they told me that this time is not required for my vehicle.QUOTE]

I also can't see your photo...