E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520D 2006 - Media Package, M-tec Kit, Lighting package, extended lights, Leather seats, Auto High beam. Carbon Black, with black leather.

I had the same problem on my 520d untill i had remapped with chippeduk. He kept changing the mapping untill i was completely happy all the lag was removed. Now the second i press the accel it goes, no more turbo lag.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Originally Posted by biggun' post='436422' date='Jun 16 2007, 07:59 PM
I had the same problem on my 520d untill i had remapped with chippeduk. He kept changing the mapping untill i was completely happy all the lag was removed. Now the second i press the accel it goes, no more turbo lag.

Sounds good!

Was a little bit worried but you seemed to solved the problem!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D 2006 - Media Package, M-tec Kit, Lighting package, extended lights, Leather seats, Auto High beam. Carbon Black, with black leather.

hehe if you do get your car remapped ask them to kick the turbo in at 5 degree accel point. This way it put more power out faster. or 0 if you want it running all the time! but that will use much more fuel
Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by okram' post='432998' date='Jun 7 2007, 08:32 AM
Hello,

as an owner of new 520d manual I have a quick question. Comparing to my previous 525 (not diesel) I find the performance of the car similar. However the big difference is in performance of the initial pull. It is very weak with no initial instant kick. It takes a second after pushing the pedal to a real acceleration. I find this dangeorous in some situations, specially when I have to "jump" to a major road etc. On paper the car is powerful enough.

Do you, 520d owners experience the same? Is this normal for diesel cars?
Hi, just take your car to the BMW garage and ask the guys to reduce the delay when pressing the accelerator pedal.
They can do you it by using car software.
If they say no, ask directly BMW germany.
Bst rgds

Jos? - Portugal
Old 06-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='436388' date='Jun 16 2007, 05:17 PM
I had/have the same issues with mine. What has brought a BIG improvement in responsiveness is using the "adaptive throttle" feature on the car. The throttle gets accustomed to how you use it, so resetting it makes it very sensitive (quick) and it the progressively readjusts itself to your driving style.
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
I typically do this once every week or two. Keeps the car nice a lively. I am pretty sure you will notice an immediate improvement and should also give you more confidence that the car will respond quickly when you need it, e.g. pulling out at junctions etc.
Thanks. Doing this has brought my car closer to my memory of the one I test drove! Now need some time to judge if it's enough...
Old 06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='436663' date='Jun 17 2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks. Doing this has brought my car closer to my memory of the one I test drove! Now need some time to judge if it's enough...
glad to hear it helped. know what you mean though, this approach is more of a "work around" and it shouldn't be like this.

I was in a friends 120d today, which seemed to pull better off of the lights and be more responsive (-and that's not weight related because we had 3 men in there as passangers, i.e. extra 200+KG.) My car is going in for a service next week, so I will ask the Service Team if they can do anything with the software/ updates.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Members

I tried resetting technique immediately - maybe the car is slighty more responsive now, but initial acceleration (from standing) is still the same. A good tip anyway!

After reading a lot of posts on 520d no one mentioned this initial responsivness issue before. I also had experience with other diesels (like VW 130bhp) without any problem. Now I understand that everybody with 520d have similar issues.

So again - is it normal? I thought turbo lag is a thing from the past and still cannot believe BMW's praised modern motor behave like this.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='436740' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:07 PM
My car is going in for a service next week, so I will ask the Service Team if they can do anything with the software/ updates.
Hope you will give us a report. It would be really interesting to hear a German service department's opinion on this. Some posts here suggest that fine tuning improvements may be possible within a dealer's service procedures.

I don't want to get into a third party remap. but even though I'm not entirely happy about the car's fuel consumption, I would sacrifice a bit of economy to be able to launch into a busy traffic stream with more safety margin.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Members

Would the "adaptive throttle" procedure also work on older cars without start button and how?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by okram' post='436977' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:41 PM
I tried resetting technique immediately - maybe the car is slighty more responsive now, but initial acceleration (from standing) is still the same. A good tip anyway!

After reading a lot of posts on 520d no one mentioned this initial responsivness issue before. I also had experience with other diesels (like VW 130bhp) without any problem. Now I understand that everybody with 520d have similar issues.

So again - is it normal? I thought turbo lag is a thing from the past and still cannot believe BMW's praised modern motor behave like this.

I had a Golf Gti Tdi 150, now that had turbo lag! It felt like it was going backwards until you hit 2,000 rpm then took off like a cat after a rat!

Is it not the case that most highly tuned relatively small capacity diesel engines will behave like this. The only way to truely overcome lag is increase capacity, fit sequential turbos or have a re-map. But then, if you are like me our fleet manager would take a dim view to me re-mapping my car!

I would be interested to see if your dealer can do anything to sort this out.

Quick Reply: 520d manual