E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

as an owner of new 520d manual I have a quick question. Comparing to my previous 525 (not diesel) I find the performance of the car similar. However the big difference is in performance of the initial pull. It is very weak with no initial instant kick. It takes a second after pushing the pedal to a real acceleration. I find this dangeorous in some situations, specially when I have to "jump" to a major road etc. On paper the car is powerful enough.

Do you, 520d owners experience the same? Is this normal for diesel cars?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Same here. It doesn't take a full second, but yes, there is a very noticable delay before the engine actually starts putting out power after flooring it.

I think that it's most serious at low revs.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by okram' post='432998' date='Jun 7 2007, 08:32 AM
Hello,

as an owner of new 520d manual I have a quick question. Comparing to my previous 525 (not diesel) I find the performance of the car similar. However the big difference is in performance of the initial pull. It is very weak with no initial instant kick. It takes a second after pushing the pedal to a real acceleration. I find this dangeorous in some situations, specially when I have to "jump" to a major road etc. On paper the car is powerful enough.

It's probably true for most diesels, the delay is caused by having to wait for the turbo to spin up. Owners with automatics often have the added issue of the gearbox starting off in second so there's double the delay!! I usually have to resort to putting the box into sport mode and even then pick-up from a standing start isn't that brilliant even on a 3.0 litre.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by okram' post='432998' date='Jun 7 2007, 02:32 PM
Hello,

This sounds normal to me, turbo lag...

It can be overcome in a manual at least by dialing in around 2,000 rpm to get the turbo spinning and the engine in the power band. Bring up the clutch smartly and then hang on!

I would only resort to such antics when joining fast flowing traffic, when the last thing you need is to trundle across in front of someone waiting for the engine to pick up.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Members

Thanks for kind responses.

I must say I'm little dissapointed - one thing is not to be able to join quickly the traffic on the main road.

Even more problematic is to make a turn (without stopping) to main road in second gear - the car almost dies and can become unresponsive. I can't believe this can be a case with BMW's, my collegues with other diesels don't have this problem.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

It's just lag. At lower speeds you really need to be in the correct gear. Although ultimately rather gutless, the 2.0 Litre Diesel is adequate for most driving and, rather surprisingly, is better the faster you go. It cruises well, which is more due to the design of the car than the engine alone, but gathers speed rather than accelerates.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

A ECU remap helps but does not eliminate this issue.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

My LCI 520d manual also behaves in this sometimes alarming way. Moreover, I think it is easier to stall than is fully safe and an unwary driver will find that stalling is sudden and difficult to intercept. On the other hand, this engine is widely used in BMW's ranges and receives seemingly universal praise in the press; so perhaps mine is more tender than it should be.

I'm going ask my dealer to investigate when I have another reason to take the car in. Does anyone have experience of doing that?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I had/have the same issues with mine. What has brought a BIG improvement in responsiveness is using the "adaptive throttle" feature on the car. The throttle gets accustomed to how you use it, so resetting it makes it very sensitive (quick) and it the progressively readjusts itself to your driving style.
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

I typically do this once every week or two. Keeps the car nice a lively. I am pretty sure you will notice an immediate improvement and should also give you more confidence that the car will respond quickly when you need it, e.g. pulling out at junctions etc.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Members

I too have an 07 520d M-Sport manual and was thinking exactly the same.

I previously ran a 2003 Audi A6 Sport TDi 1.9 which was rated at 130bhp. The Audi seemed much faster on acceleration and there was a reall turbo boost low down which is missing from the BMW. Ive only done 4800 miles and was hoping the car would get quicker with use but I will definitely try the resetting technique described above- good post!

Quick Reply: 520d manual