E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d m sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

i'm new to the site but thought it was the best place to come for some honest advice and opinions. I drive a 318ci Coupe at the moment and am getting ready to change. I've got a 9 month little girl so the time has come to get a 'sensible' 4 door car...but no quite ready for a Ford Mondeo.

Been looking at a 520d m sport - approx 50 - 60 000 on the clock on a 55 plate. A mate of mine had a 525d and loved it but said the fuel consumption was a bit heavy. I did find a similar post about that on here but wanted to address some other points as well.

1) Any feedback on the fuel consumption would be great. I mostly drive about town but twice a week do a motorway blitz about 100 miles each time to drop the little one with her grandparents for babysitting. What do you think I'd manage on a tank.
2) What are the running costs - service etc. Have to say as outside warranty etc would take to an independent garage who have worked on my 3series but is there a noticeable difference between the 2 models.
3) Any good/bad points or faults that are common. I know BM's are generally reliable and everyone's experiences are different but any major things I should be looking out for etc when buying.

Any help you guys can give me a 5 series drivers would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend up to 15k - life's changed since the costs of a little one!!!

Cheers

Graeme
Old 06-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kcbabi' post='896973' date='Jun 1 2009, 03:05 PM
Been looking at a 520d m sport - approx 50 - 60 000 on the clock on a 55 plate. A mate of mine had a 525d and loved it but said the fuel consumption was a bit heavy. I did find a similar post about that on here but wanted to address some other points as well.

1) Any feedback on the fuel consumption would be great. I mostly drive about town but twice a week do a motorway blitz about 100 miles each time to drop the little one with her grandparents for babysitting. What do you think I'd manage on a tank.
2) What are the running costs - service etc. Have to say as outside warranty etc would take to an independent garage who have worked on my 3series but is there a noticeable difference between the 2 models.
3) Any good/bad points or faults that are common. I know BM's are generally reliable and everyone's experiences are different but any major things I should be looking out for etc when buying.

Graeme
I have a 520d m sport. Mines is a lci one (new) so I think mine has a slightly updated engine than the one you are looking at. Have only done 3500km so far in it.

1) Fuel consuption: I drive a mixture of highway running and stop / start city driving. I am quite consersvative and smooth in my driving and I get an average of 6.9l / 100km (between 820km ~ 900km) per tank.

2) Don't know sorry.

3) iDrive has crashed twice but other than that it's been perfect so far.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Having driven both the 163hp and 177hp versions i belive they are under powered for the weight of the car! IMO they wouldn't pull the top off a rice pudding the mpg are around 44 combined, mines around 35 ish and thats the 530d and its a bag full of fun if you want economy, id go for the 320d or the 330d, it all depends on what you expect from the car!!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Members

i got a an 2006 520d now and mine is sweet for all intense of purpose,

i mean i wanted something bigger than my old astra gsi and after test driving this 20d i loved it straight of..

iv since had it mapped to 207bhp and 390ftlb torque qnd it flies along and still gives me 52mpg on a run, fitted a full Msport kit, 19s, etc

go for it, iv never looked back,

if you drove a bigger lumped one you will be spoilt
Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

i agree with rislar the 530d is a big grin laugh out loud scream fest but it`s not for town driving, my right foot is full of lead
Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD' post='897054' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:20 PM
i agree with rislar the 530d is a big grin laugh out loud scream fest but it`s not for town driving, my right foot is full of lead
I have considered a 320d but there are so many of them on the road plus want to move up a bit to something a bit bigger. Like the shape of the 520d and also potentially I guess it will be cheaper to run than a heavier engine - like i said earlier, I'd love to go for the 525 or 530 but just think it would be a bit too juicy. Not too worried about it being super quick - if all goes to plan I'd rather it be nice looking, classy but a bit of power if you need it to overtake - round where I live there are so many boys racer kids in their suped up cars I wouldn't even attempt racing them...plus my wife will be driving it and seeing as she's got a 1.4 Micra I don't want her accelrating into someones boot!!!
All advice and help great - any more greatly received. I;ve read so many reviews but wanted to ask honest people with an honest opinion

Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

From an Ex 3er owner and a Daddy of a 16month old dont consider the 3 with a child, as your probably aware the boot space is hardly sufficiant for a family of any size let alone rear leg room/space, I moved up from the 3 series to the E60 for this reason,

Even with a large buggy in the back of the E60 there is still room for 2 weeks worth of shopping in the boot with space to spare if you pack carefully, in the 3 series I was pushed to get half a weeks worth and ended up using the rear seats to put bags on for example, hence I have never had to use the rear seats to go shopping since I changed models
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

For a little over 15k you should be able to get a 520d on a 56 plate which would still be under warranty, and with less mileage than 50-60k. Try gettin something that has a few months warranty left, that way any problems with the car can be sorted for free, buy out of warranty and your stuck with having to pay for any repairs. Mine was at BMW for a new clutch, drive shaft, flywheel, brake pads, rotors, discs, pad wear sensors, key fob, new bonnet locking clip and a few smaller things within the first 3months i had it, and my car only had 28,000miles on it, so i wouldn't reccomend buying out of warranty
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

I'm driving a E61 520D non LCI with 163 bhp.
So this one is still a lot heavier than the 4 door version.
I'm averaging 7.0 l/100km. Mostly mixed traffic.

It isn't really fast, but you definitly can't say it is a slow car.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Members

So the 520 sounds fairly economical and the right size.

Any suggestions as to where to buy. I've looked at drivethedeal, pistonheads etc but all seem to be higher mileage - can anyone recommend somewhere ? I live in Kent on the dartford crossing - not too worried about distance to travel as long as a decent motor and a good used seller

Quick Reply: 520d m sport