E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520D - Hows it going?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 520d SE, Black Dakota, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by msportmad' post='316731' date='Jul 29 2006, 09:29 PM
I have just done 3K in My 520d MSport and I love it i'm getting mid 40'sMPG, like the nice little features no one tells you about like the way the breaks hold on for a second to stop you rolling backwards on a hill start!!

You can't buy better for the money!!
I used to have problems when I first got my car (E61) with stalling it. In fact, a friend who also has a 520d Saloon but a little older had the same problem when driving my car. However, now with 5200 miles on the clock the engine seems to have loosened up and I don't have the same problems with it stalling or pulling away slowly without giving a lot of revs.

I now don't have to rev the engine so much to pull away and to prevent the car stalling. This used to be a big problem especially when pulling away going uphill. The hill-start assist is a neat idea too, I agree and I'm glad I went for the manual over the automatic which I wasn't very impressed with when I test drove it.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='325681' date='Aug 23 2006, 02:28 PM
3) As for the shocks, I checked with my dealer, who thankfully confirmed that my car was not part of the re-call programme. I read that 5er, 6er and 7er manufactured between 9. January and 18. April 2006 are affected - 46000 world wide allegedly.
Does this include the cars with the M-sports suspension? My car must have been produced in that time frame, but got no recall from my dealer. Would they have done this secretly when I had the car in for a 1 hour post break-in inspection?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Originally Posted by Tommy' post='330952' date='Sep 5 2006, 12:30 PM
Does this include the cars with the M-sports suspension? My car must have been produced in that time frame, but got no recall from my dealer. Would they have done this secretly when I had the car in for a 1 hour post break-in inspection?
Yes, mine is an M-Sport.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='331010' date='Sep 5 2006, 04:57 PM
Yes, mine is an M-Sport.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to give my dealer a call tomorrow

BTW: I reset the units fro, KM/L to mpg GB and my steptronic 520d M-sport does about 37mpg on the average
Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Originally Posted by Tommy' post='331109' date='Sep 5 2006, 07:06 PM
BTW: I reset the units fro, KM/L to mpg GB and my steptronic 520d M-sport does about 37mpg on the average
That is't bad actually. I'm getting about 36, mainly around town. I generally average about 40ish. On a run I can easily beat 50mpg.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

Originally Posted by sguilliard' post='330618' date='Sep 4 2006, 01:52 PM
I used to have problems when I first got my car (E61) with stalling it. In fact, a friend who also has a 520d Saloon but a little older had the same problem when driving my car. However, now with 5200 miles on the clock the engine seems to have loosened up and I don't have the same problems with it stalling or pulling away slowly without giving a lot of revs.

I now don't have to rev the engine so much to pull away and to prevent the car stalling. This used to be a big problem especially when pulling away going uphill. The hill-start assist is a neat idea too, I agree and I'm glad I went for the manual over the automatic which I wasn't very impressed with when I test drove it.
I find this with our car - i think it's got something to do with the combination of electronic (fly by wire?) accelerator, and manual clutch. There is a very slight electronic delay between pressing the pedal, and the engine responding. I'm not talking about turbo lag, but the actual signal the computer receives from the accelerator pedal switch, before the computer processes this and applies the power...
Old 09-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Hi all,

I have the 525d auto and wish i went for the 520d or 530d - i just cannot really see the point in the 525d as the 520d has just about the same specs!

I have an auto box and get 38mpg on a run and average around 35mpg. My lowest is just below 30mpg but that is on a journey with lots of roundabouts! My highest was tuesday when i neally hit 42mpg (never went above 70mph down the A1 and M25 to heathrow)

Moko, are you aware that you can change the mpg settings from US to UK in the idrive? that could be why your readings are so low?

On the whole, i love the car, the ride and the easy driving and would get another one (probably a 530d or even 535d as you always want more!).

BTW, what does the 4pot diesel sound like? I used to have a diesel Passat and a friend had the same chipped - they sound really rough compared to my smoooooth 6pot.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Members

Hi Guys ,,,, Great Post

I drove a 530d back in 2000 and thought that it was the best car that I ever drove. So needless to say I was very excited about my new 520d M Sport arriving in June 2006 ..

Good Points ...

Looks The Dogs Boll*x
Plenty of power (for me anyway)
I see a lot of negative posts on the IDrive but I quite like it.
IPOD friendly.
Very economical

Bad Points

For me only 2

1. Very Loud knocking noise when the Sunroof is on tilt .. doesnt always happen though. Unable to replicate it when I brought it to the dealers - I have recorded it on my mobile phone though so I have some form of proof

2. I am not very technical minded so I am not sure how to describe this one properly. When the car is cruising along at 80kmph (2000rpm) in 4th when you put your foot back on the accelerator its like the car jerks a little - another one for my dealer to look at ...

All in all if I can get these 2 issues sorted I will be a happy little camper!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:13 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW520d-2006 Mystiq Blue BMW530iA-94(wifes car) 928GT-90 928S-81 MG-Midget-66

Just heard from my dealer that my 520d has arrived in Sweden.
It is only around a week before i can pick it up.
Can't wait
Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='331793' date='Sep 7 2006, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

I have the 525d auto and wish i went for the 520d or 530d - i just cannot really see the point in the 525d as the 520d has just about the same specs!

I have an auto box and get 38mpg on a run and average around 35mpg. My lowest is just below 30mpg but that is on a journey with lots of roundabouts! My highest was tuesday when i neally hit 42mpg (never went above 70mph down the A1 and M25 to heathrow)

Moko, are you aware that you can change the mpg settings from US to UK in the idrive? that could be why your readings are so low?

On the whole, i love the car, the ride and the easy driving and would get another one (probably a 530d or even 535d as you always want more!).

BTW, what does the 4pot diesel sound like? I used to have a diesel Passat and a friend had the same chipped - they sound really rough compared to my smoooooth 6pot.
Hi, I'm just up the road from you. I know of at least one other 525dA that averages under 28mpg! Sycamore At Peterborough are trying to sort it out!

I tried a 525dA before going for a manual 520d. The 525dA is nicer in every way, but it was no faster and was going to cost me nearly ?150 a month extra in BIK tax!

Quick Reply: 520D - Hows it going?