E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520D - Hows it going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 520d SE - Jet Black - Advanced Air Con - Sports Suspension - Sports Steering Wheel - Extended Light Pack

Thanks gIzzE but as you might have guessed (see your last point) my SE is a company car so don't want to make any modifications.

If M-Sport had been within my company car budget I would have definitely gone for it - will definitely get it next time (hopefully a 335d ) until then SE is still a nice place to be!!

UrbanDriver - I tested an M-Sport 520d and ended up with a 520d SE with 17" wheels, RFTs and the optional sports suspension (?255 iirc) which handles really well, almost no body roll and no tramlining to speak of.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Nohedes' post='320267' date='Aug 8 2006, 06:38 PM
until then SE is still a nice place to be!!

Without a doubt, and I am comparing the SE with the M-Sport, if you start comparing the 5 SE with say an A6 S-Line it still feels sportier and more planted than Audis sport version.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Members

Ok, SE being picked up on Friday. Got a very good deal and the 530 M Sport they had was way too much extra. So now for the alterations.

Can anyone (gIzziE?) help me out with those leather seats. Where do I start looking - is it a dealer fit option? Probably look at the sport suspension and some 18" wheels too. Is there a second hand market for these or is it full list price at the dealer?

Have some extra budget so want to make the car a little more 'comfortable'

Cheers all.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

For sports suspension, buy a SACHS Performance kit. They are outstanding and will match (or beat) an M-setup. A couple of 18" on top of that and you are good to go chassi-wise.

For the leather seats I don't know (except that I like leather).

You might also look into changing your steering wheel from standard to M-sport. Standard feels a bit "thin".

/M

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='320607' date='Aug 9 2006, 07:34 PM
Ok, SE being picked up on Friday. Got a very good deal and the 530 M Sport they had was way too much extra. So now for the alterations.

Can anyone (gIzziE?) help me out with those leather seats. Where do I start looking - is it a dealer fit option? Probably look at the sport suspension and some 18" wheels too. Is there a second hand market for these or is it full list price at the dealer?

Have some extra budget so want to make the car a little more 'comfortable'

Cheers all.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by Nohedes' post='320267' date='Aug 8 2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks gIzzE but as you might have guessed (see your last point) my SE is a company car so don't want to make any modifications.

If M-Sport had been within my company car budget I would have definitely gone for it - will definitely get it next time (hopefully a 335d ) until then SE is still a nice place to be!!

UrbanDriver - I tested an M-Sport 520d and ended up with a 520d SE with 17" wheels, RFTs and the optional sports suspension (?255 iirc) which handles really well, almost no body roll and no tramlining to speak of.

I ended up choosing a 530d SE rather than a 520 D M sport. The 530D M sport I test drove was brilliantly quick to me the sport suspension with RFT's had dreading hitting anything but perfect tarmac. Potholes it took off. The 525D felt lacklusture in comparison.

I love the look of the sport but was totally stretched whith the 530 engine (budget really stretched even taking into account residual differences)

Compromised by getting leather, sports seats and wheel. Ride still feels hard and bumpy where I drive (crap road surfaces) must be the RFT's

Out of interest, can you get the sports ride retro fitted? would this be OK for when I was going to change to non RFT's?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Keep an eye on ebay for the leather interior, BMW won't retrofit leather I don't think.
Also you need to have heated seats I believe to put the sport or comfort seats in, otherwise it is a nightmare.

Adding sports suspension and 18" wheels is not cheap though, you are going to be looking at around ?3k if you go with genuine BMW parts.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW520d-2006 Mystiq Blue BMW530iA-94(wifes car) 928GT-90 928S-81 MG-Midget-66

Saw this link in another thread to a company in Holland that sells BMW full leather interiors.
Have anyone tried them on this forum?
They seems to have all versions including M5 interior.
(click on Leer)

http://www.akto.nl/
Old 08-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by tegel' post='320622' date='Aug 9 2006, 07:57 PM
For sports suspension, buy a SACHS Performance kit. They are outstanding and will match (or beat) an M-setup. A couple of 18" on top of that and you are good to go chassi-wise.

For the leather seats I don't know (except that I like leather).

You might also look into changing your steering wheel from standard to M-sport. Standard feels a bit "thin".

/M
Hey Tegel,

Was my description on the 520d performance a few months ago according to your experience now that you have yours a few months?

If you happen to pass through Belgium on your lengthly tour around europe, give me a PM and I gladly invite your for lunch or dinner or even just a refreshment drink if you want to keep on moving at high pace. I am close to an exit of the E313 between aachen germany and antwerp belgium.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Took a ride in a 2006 Audi A6 2.0TDi (140bhp) Avant yesterday :thumbsdown:
Wow, what a difference to the BMW 2 litre diesel! It did not feel anywhere near as refined, sounded like & was as loud as the diesel engine I had in my 320d back in 2001, and in general did not fit the car in this class at all.

I recognise this is all very subjective and only based upon one car, but for me it just reinforced the fact that BMW have put a very good package together and also explains why Audi always put their 6-cylinder 2.7TDi diesel up against the 520d in magazine test drives.

(sorry- slightly off-topic, but still 520d related!)
Old 08-18-2006, 01:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

Glad to hear all these positive comments about the 520d.

If it was available when we got our 525d, it may have been considered. However although the 525d offers only a slight increase in performance, it is a great deal tourqier, and that 6cyl hum is alot more pleasant then the rattle of the 4cyl.

It's also a lot smoother, but other than that, it seems like a superfluous engine as the 520d is so close. 520d, 530d, 535d would make more sense.

Same goes for the petrol 523i.

Quick Reply: 520D - Hows it going?