E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

520D FUEL CONSUMPTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

I've had my 520D 6M now for 16 mths from new and avg OBC reading for fuel consumption is 32.3 uk mpg. I recently brimmed the tank, drove 500 miles and brimmed again- actual mpg = 36.3mpg despite much lower OBC reading. I wonder how this compares with other 520d owner's experiences both manual and auto.

Is there a way you can adjust OBC calibration to read correctly?

Off topic. I don't have nav or advanced climate however i really feel that given the limited functionality the I drive is almost redundant except for the audio function and OBC. Climate only allows adjustment of vent temp- Is this right or am I missing something?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='426865' date='May 21 2007, 02:57 PM
I've had my 520D 6M now for 16 mths from new and avg OBC reading for fuel consumption is 32.3 uk mpg. I recently brimmed the tank, drove 500 miles and brimmed again- actual mpg = 36.3mpg despite much lower OBC reading. I wonder how this compares with other 520d owner's experiences both manual and auto.

Off topic. I don't have nav or advanced climate however i really feel that given the limited functionality the I drive is almost redundant except for the audio function and OBC. Climate only allows adjustment of vent temp- Is this right or am I missing something?
Measuring actual fuel consumption is difficult to do accurately. Different pumps have slightly different nozzles, the tank is not always equally full when the nozzle clicks off, etc. Measuring over a longer period of course improves accuracy.

I've only gassed up three times now, all three times at the same gas station. The on board computer seems to be off by 10%. It suggests that my car is more fuel efficient than it actually is (so the inaccuracy is in the opposite direction to yours). I plan to adjust the correction factor after filling up 5 times. (Yes, on this forum there is a description how to adjust the accuracy of the fuel consumption.)
Old 05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='426865' date='May 21 2007, 08:57 PM

I have a very similar age car to yours and its manual too. Isn't the 520D supposed to be around 50mpg. I get in the low 40s and am still not happy.

If you don't have nav, bluetooth and advanced air con their might as well have gotten rid of the idrive completely like on the e90.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='426895' date='May 21 2007, 04:23 PM
I have a very similar age car to yours and its manual too. Isn't the 520D supposed to be around 50mpg. I get in the low 40s and am still not happy.

If you don't have nav, bluetooth and advanced air con their might as well have gotten rid of the idrive completely like on the e90.
I suppose the variable here is driving style and city versus mortorway driving. Most of my daily 90 min commute is stop start up to 40mph. On the weekends and evenings I tend to extract the max from the 520d so, taking these conditions into account I'm happy with 36mph. I believe the auto box on the pre LCI 520d has the greatest negative effect on fuel consumption on the over other diesel e60s -- True? I would love the relaxed drive the auto provides but decided against on the basis that the auto would sap power and add to fuel bills.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='426921' date='May 21 2007, 11:26 PM
I suppose the variable here is driving style and city versus mortorway driving. Most of my daily 90 min commute is stop start up to 40mph. On the weekends and evenings I tend to extract the max from the 520d so, taking these conditions into account I'm happy with 36mph. I believe the auto box on the pre LCI 520d has the greatest negative effect on fuel consumption on the over other diesel e60s -- True? I would love the relaxed drive the auto provides but decided against on the basis that the auto would sap power and add to fuel bills.
In fact my driving is 30-40 mph start stop traffic too...but never mind. I bought the manual for similar reasons to you. The 520D has not changed on the LCI as yet so you still have the new 2.0 engine. Once the new engine is brought in the Auto may have better economy than the manual.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='426865' date='May 21 2007, 09:57 PM

The iDrive gives you access to the Bord Computer / Service status and other Config settings as well. This allows you to adjust certain car settings, e.g. doors locking, day time lights, multi-function steering wheel smart buttons. It also gives you access to the Service details for your car, e.g. oil, particle filter (diesels), etc. If you have Logic7, it gives you access to the Equaliser. There's lots in there, depending how carried away you got with the options !!

If you hit the menu button to get the top screen, then hit the iDrive button, this takes you into the Service and Config area of your car. Give this a try and if you are feeling really crazy, check out the User Manual Have fun playing...
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='426865' date='May 21 2007, 02:57 PM

-------------------------------
Hi, I am from Portugal:
My wife currently drives our 520D (bought in Feb 2007). Average consumption is 40 mpg. Mixed/urban driving.
However it is possible to go up to 45 mpg if driving is made in motorway with cruise control on and speed around 140-160 km/hr.

In what concern the air condition. I have it automatic. It is too complex. We never get it right. Too many controls.
Bst rgds

Jos?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by jmsaude' post='434161' date='Jun 10 2007, 12:14 PM
[...]
In what concern the air condition. I have it automatic. It is too complex. We never get it right. Too many controls.
Bst rgds

Jos?
Fully agree. It appears as though the center vents are controlled ONLY via the red and blue bars in the climate control screens, not via the dials. And if the center vents are turned off via the air flow settings in the iDrive (to allow controlling everything via the dials), the aircon appears to switch off (indicator light stays on however).
Old 06-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by boukehj' post='434175' date='Jun 10 2007, 12:51 PM
Fully agree. It appears as though the center vents are controlled ONLY via the red and blue bars in the climate control screens, not via the dials. And if the center vents are turned off via the air flow settings in the iDrive (to allow controlling everything via the dials), the aircon appears to switch off (indicator light stays on however).
There is noting we can do about the system. It should be more friendly user!
In any case the cooling system per se is very efficient, it cools the interior very quickly. Nothing to say. Except that the E series from MB has in the back seat temperature control and also A/C exhaust in the 2 side columns.
To be honest I do understand why BMW has not temperature control in the back seat (with a temperature dial).
Rgds
Jos?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='426895' date='May 21 2007, 04:23 PM

Try to change to BP ultimate. A number of people say it better in terms of speed and car response and fuel consumption.
I never used other than BP ultimate. Those that changed to other fuel reverted to BP ultimate.
Try it.
Rgds

Jos?

Quick Reply: 520D FUEL CONSUMPTION