E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520D auto/manual se/m-sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by LW78' post='673164' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:17 PM
IMO the Titanium Silver looks best, but I do not know if that color is available in the UK.
My brother has a Carbon Black e61, but imo a light color accents the M-package. Also, on the Carbon Black you will see all scratches, even the ones from washing the car!!
Tit Silver is available in all markets. A very smart color, never dirty nor do scratches show.

My ex-E60 was TS with Black int.

Attached Thumbnails 520D auto/manual se/m-sport-oki_3.jpg  
Old 09-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by LW78' post='673164' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:17 PM
IMO the Titanium Silver looks best, but I do not know if that color is available in the UK.

It is and it really stays looking clean for a long time without needing to wash it every week. On the downside it is very common over here and like all greys and silvers never looks quite as nice after washing it as darker coloured cars do.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Members

Just seen the UK brochure/pricelist on the bmw website and the 520 is a worse deal than last year. The ?350 for SatNav business deal has gone so extra 1000 for satnav. It also looks like the new idrive controller is only available with the M sports model.

Option : iDrive controller on centre console with shortcut buttons. N/A on SE and standard on MSport

Hmm - having second thoughts now... but will see what happens in next month or so before i have to order
Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The new iDrive is available from November 08 onwards on the 5er in Europe. Its not specific to SE or M-Sport, its simply a generic feature of the car... or so I assumed I've never heard of being able to opt for different iDrive controllers, certainly not in Germany.

As for the deals on the 520d, well they stopped here in Germany too. Looks as though the car's selling itself without BMW having to do anymore special deals. I think initially it was to encourage buyers to "accept" the 4cyl and it would appear thats been achieved now.

Probably worth checking back on the iDrive controller. As for the SAT nav, is that the Business or Pro NAV?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

+1 on the Titanium Silver. I've got one in that color and it looks really clean even after a week or two of sitting out in the elements!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='675365' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:48 PM
The new iDrive is available from November 08 onwards on the 5er in Europe. Its not specific to SE or M-Sport, its simply a generic feature of the car... or so I assumed I've never heard of being able to opt for different iDrive controllers, certainly not in Germany.

As for the deals on the 520d, well they stopped here in Germany too. Looks as though the car's selling itself without BMW having to do anymore special deals. I think initially it was to encourage buyers to "accept" the 4cyl and it would appear thats been achieved now.

Probably worth checking back on the iDrive controller. As for the SAT nav, is that the Business or Pro NAV?
I thought the same about iDrive but the brochure is quite clear that its 'standard' on M sport and N/A on SE - obviously it could just be a mistake in the uk brochure.. The ?350 deal was on the 'business satnav' and expires end sept.
I will see how things go over next couple of months
Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='675369' date='Sep 22 2008, 05:51 PM
+1 on the Titanium Silver. I've got one in that color and it looks really clean even after a week or two of sitting out in the elements!
+2
Old 09-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by RajB' post='672176' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:45 PM
........The suspension makes a huge difference as an SE car is very soft and will lean quite noticeably when going round corners, etc.
I normally try to be polite and respect the opinions of others here but the statement above is a load of twaddle. The suspension on the SE is far from soft and the car hardly leans going round corners. You just made that s**t up!

By all means buy the "M" version for it's looks (and it does look sportier) but don't kid yourself that there is a noticeable difference in handling because the suspension is slightly lowered!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

An SE with no sport suspension and the standard 225 wide tyres will handle differently to an M-Sport on sport suspension and 245 or 245/275 wide tyres. I've driven both and there is a notable difference in cornering and high-speed motorway cruising. However, I do agree that it is unfair to imply that the SE is soft in the corners -- its probably softer, but not soft! I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to and what you are used to. E.g. my E60 m-sport is soft compared to by previous E46 3er M-Sport.

My prime reason for getting the M-Sport was the looks. In fact, the M-Sport pack on the 5er is a key reason why I changed from a 3er to a 5er. Nothing comes close IMHO.... well maybe an M5
Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='676087' date='Sep 23 2008, 02:10 PM
An SE with no sport suspension and the standard 225 wide tyres will handle differently to an M-Sport on sport suspension and 245 or 245/275 wide tyres. I've driven both and there is a notable difference in cornering and high-speed motorway cruising. However, I do agree that it is unfair to imply that the SE is soft in the corners -- its probably softer, but not soft! I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to and what you are used to. E.g. my E60 m-sport is soft compared to by previous E46 3er M-Sport.

My prime reason for getting the M-Sport was the looks. In fact, the M-Sport pack on the 5er is a key reason why I changed from a 3er to a 5er. Nothing comes close IMHO.... well maybe an M5
Well said!

Quick Reply: 520D auto/manual se/m-sport