E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520D auto/manual se/m-sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to order a 520D and would like some opinions on SE versus M-Sport models and manual versus auto. I am in the uk and it will be a company car. I would like a comfortable relaxed ride and don't intend to throw the car round corners etc so not sure if M-sport will do anything for me other than look good.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by haf63' post='671265' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:46 PM
I am about to order a 520D and would like some opinions on SE versus M-Sport models and manual versus auto. I am in the uk and it will be a company car. I would like a comfortable relaxed ride and don't intend to throw the car round corners etc so not sure if M-sport will do anything for me other than look good.
Get the auto - why, well that's my opinion and that is what you asked for!

"not sure if M-sport will do anything for me other than look good" - That's a good enough reason though isn't it? Seriously, you will get a better steering wheel, sports seats and half leather and some Msport badges as well as suspension and anthracite headliner!

As far as the ride is concerned, I find my Msport very comfortable. It does have non-runflats tyres which I am told improve things.

The true answer is that you need to spend a few hours at a dealership looking at (and driving) the different versions and then you can make your own mind up.

Let us know which way you decide to go.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Members

If buying with your own money (company car allowance), I would strongly recommend this:

Get the Auto. It will hold onto it's value better - big luxury cars like this just don't sell well as manuals on the 2nd hand scene
Having driven all variants, an SE is better if you want a smooth ride. Mine has 18" Msport Run Flats, and it is firm, but not as jittery as some '06 reg'd SE's I've driven. Maybe th LCI are better than pre-LCI - does anyone know if they changed the suspension ith LCI?

The Msport does steer better and corners like it's on rails...and it really looks smart. An SE looks as if it rides too high IMHO.

Don't buy a new one - you'll save a wad of cash by getting the dealership to hunt an ex-management car down for you. Like up to ?10k, who knows - even a 525d could be in budget!

Options?

Auto for def
Msport is up to you - try before you buy
+
Media Pack - (full Professional nav)
Visibility pack - standard lights are feeble
USB - the CDChnger can't play MP3's, but the DVD Nav Drive and the single CD slot on the dash can - so the choice is there
Sun Prot glass - cars without look "un-exclusive" once you've had it
Go for the Fusion leatherette if you go SE. I've seen it and for ?150odd it's a bargain! It is good quality stuff and could pass as leather to the uninitiated - but try and see one first...

If you are gtting a company paid/lease then anything goes - just go with what you can put up for in budget

Good luck
Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

For you haf63,

520dA(utomatic) + Comfort Seats + Nav Pro + Logic 7

If you need the phone for work, get the extras
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

The LCI cars do have a revised suspension which isnt as harsh as pre LCI cars. As has been said look for ex BMW fleet cars(they all start with a Y in the reg), I got my 530d when it was 8 months old and with 2200 miles on it and saved ?14k of the list price. With savings like that you have to be loaded or bongers to throw that much down the drain by buying new.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Members

Thanks for the input guys and I am now thinking of the 520D M Sport Auto with the essential extras being bluetooth for phone and satnav (probably the business version if that stays at ?350 deal). It will be a company lease and go back after 2 years (so i can get the new 5er) so I don't want to load it with lots of extra's and increase my lease/tax costs...
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by haf63' post='672091' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the input guys and I am now thinking of the 520D M Sport Auto with the essential extras being bluetooth for phone and satnav (probably the business version if that stays at ?350 deal). It will be a company lease and go back after 2 years (so i can get the new 5er) so I don't want to load it with lots of extra's and increase my lease/tax costs...
Good decison!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport. It has Heads Up Display...need I say more...

As other s have said really. Sport version is always going to be more desirable to look at and drive. The suspension makes a huge difference as an SE car is very soft and will lean quite noticeably when going round corners, etc.

Also, the auto boxes are just sublime these days. Seemless shifts and noticeably better for such a big car.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Good choice! The sport seats are way better than the standard. The black roof (inside) looks also much nicer than the grey.
You won't regret your choice!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Members

well it look like i just need to decide on a colour now.. the uk choice seems to be
carbon black
deep sea blue
le mans blue
platinum grey
space grey

not a great choice to be honest but i will go and take a look at the local dealer and see what appeals

also good to hear that the new idrive will definatly be on the 5series now

Quick Reply: 520D auto/manual se/m-sport