E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

5 series vs. X6 x50i - Cornering Stability

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1084416' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:53 AM
Your opening premise is flawed. The X6 50i you're going up against is much, much quicker in the corners than you think it is, and your 523 is slower in the corners than you think it is. A better test would be for the X6 50i to take the lead and for you to see if you can keep up, right now I suspect you'll simply hold him up.

Either way - be safe. It sounds like you're planning on giving it the hammer on a very fast and very long sweeper, it can be much easier said than done to reign the car back in if you start to lose grip.
Exactly. Taking away the obvious differences between the two vehicles, you're still sort of comparing apples to oranges with respect to the technology that's available on the two cars. I suppose if both cars were equally equipped technologically, then the test would be more accurate. Even then, to make it fair, you'd have to do more than test things one one bridge with one corner. A true test would be to include different turns -- some that are of a smaller radius, some larger, etc. Even then, you're probably never going to end the argument since BMW worked hard to make the SAVs handle well, etc.

Bottom line...you like your car and your friend likes his. It'll be hard to change anyone's mind about who's car is "better" since it's all relative and opinion based...
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='1084422' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:05 AM
I have to admit that my 5 will take sharp turns at 70+ MPH with ease. However, that is mostly because I upgraded the shocks and struts to sport versions lowering the car and stiffening the suspension a great deal. If I had non-sport .... I would have probably flipped the car by now.
Yes, if I had taken some of the curves I've been on in a non-sport E60 without summer performance tires (such as my runs on Pennslyvania State Road 125), at the speed that I took them at in my 550i Sport, I probably would have gone off the road and into the trees. The cornerning limits with the sports suspension, ARS and max summer performance tires are just so much higher than those in a non-sport suspension/non ARS E60.

To the OP, it's fine to tear around the sweeper so long as you know and have a strong feel for your car's cornerning limits.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1084416' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:53 PM
Your opening premise is flawed. The X6 50i you're going up against is much, much quicker in the corners than you think it is, and your 523 is slower in the corners than you think it is. A better test would be for the X6 50i to take the lead and for you to see if you can keep up, right now I suspect you'll simply hold him up.

Either way - be safe. It sounds like you're planning on giving it the hammer on a very fast and very long sweeper, it can be much easier said than done to reign the car back in if you start to lose grip.
F centrifugal = 1/2 * m*v^2. His mass is 2.265 tons. My mass is 1.575 tons. His mass is 44% higher than my mass so he has 44% centrifugal force acting on his car. Can the technology offset the 44%? I don't think so.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='1084431' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:20 AM
Can the technology offset the 44%? I don't think so.
Have you driven a car with active roll stabilization and/or a sports package? You'd be surprised what it feels like...
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1084433' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:24 AM
Have you driven a car with active roll stabilization and/or a sports package? You'd be surprised what it feels like...
Active Steering is pretty sweet too.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1084433' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:24 PM
I agree with you that the ARS (Dynamic Drive where I live) will make the car "feel" much more stable. But will it be much more stable in cornering limits? Actually the complain against the DD was that it never makes you feel where the cornering limits are. The car will have very low roll, then suddenly you will lose grip, while in a normal car the roll will be progressive and you will be able to better judge the cornering limits.

I remember when I first started reading about the DD in 2004 that the actual difference in cornering speeds was around 2% (which is a lot considering that the centrifugal force is directly proporational to the square of the velocity, so it will result in 0.98*0.98=0.9604, i.e. 4% difference).

I currently have 245/40 R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 installed. Should I change the shocks and springs too? They are due anyways (my car has 136,000 km on the dial).
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

the E60 corners better, but won't be as fast coming out of the bends.

now we need to compare a 550i v X6 x50i, the same result and the E60 corners better and is faster,
even a 530i will kill it.

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='1084437' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:33 PM
I agree with you that the ARS (Dynamic Drive where I live) will make the car "feel" much more stable. But will it be much more stable in cornering limits? Actually the complain against the DD was that it never makes you feel where the cornering limits are. The car will have very low roll, then suddenly you will lose grip, while in a normal car the roll will be progressive and you will be able to better judge the cornering limits.

I remember when I first started reading about the DD in 2004 that the actual difference in cornering speeds was around 2% (which is a lot considering that the centrifugal force is directly proporational to the square of the velocity, so it will result in 0.98*0.98=0.9604, i.e. 4% difference).

I currently have 245/40 R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 installed. Should I change the shocks and springs too? They are due anyways (my car has 136,000 km on the dial).
Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='1084437' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:33 AM

Sounds like you've got great summer performance tires on your ride. Why not put into stiffer shocks and springs and lower the car? If you are into cornering, why not do it?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='1084437' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:33 AM

Don't forget, and I'm no scientist, that if the car rolls less (due to the technology), then the geometry of the "roll equation" is different. In other words, there is an outside force (dynamic drive) that is "correcting" the car's tendency to roll. That correction helps to maintain the car's weight distribution over all four wheels, etc.

I have no idea how to describe what I'm saying scientifically, I'm just stating that it's not just about how a dynamic drive car "feels" in a corner, there really is some physical "cheating" going on to help correct the car's tendency to obey the laws of physics. In other words, the car is throwing a curve at any forumula based on some linear force by changing it's own dynamics...

Does any of that make sense?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1084445' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:42 PM
Don't forget, and I'm no scientist, that if the car rolls less (due to the technology), then the geometry of the "roll equation" is different. In other words, there is an outside force (dynamic drive) that is "correcting" the car's tendency to roll. That correction helps to maintain the car's weight distribution over all four wheels, etc.

I have no idea how to describe what I'm saying scientifically, I'm just stating that it's not just about how a dynamic drive car "feels" in a corner, there really is some physical "cheating" going on to help correct the car's tendency to obey the laws of physics. In other words, the car is throwing a curve at any forumula based on some linear force by changing it's own dynamics...

Does any of that make sense?
Of course you do make a lot of sense. What you are talking about is basically the CG (center of Gravity) transfer due to the body roll of the car causing the outer wheels to be higher loaded than the inner ones. Follow this link http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/h...eight-Body-roll. It will help you understand the theoritical aspect of your feeling.

Quick Reply: 5 series vs. X6 x50i - Cornering Stability