E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

5 minute delayed start for air conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 530 about one year ago and have taken it in for service 3 times now. The A/C intermitantly takes about 5 minutes to actually start cooling. Thanks to fellow posters I was able to find SIB640305 that describes the extact problem. Below is the quote from the SIB:

"Do not replace any parts. This is considered normal operation of the system. Explain to the customer that this condition may occur if the vehicle is parked for extended periods (greater than 8 hours). Over time liquid refrigerant can drain back into the compressor when the vehicle is parked. If the A/C system were to function at 100% right from startup the compressor would be damaged. The system is then started up gradually to prevent this from happening and extending the life of the compressor. Normally the system is functioning at 100% after 30-60 seconds, but in extreme conditions it may take up to 2 minutes for the system to function at 100%."

I took the SIB into the BMW dealership lat time and they tell me it does not pertain to my car. It says E60 plain as day. They also could not duplicate. WTF? I let it set 9 hours in the parking lot every day and I have no A/C for the first 5 minutes when driving home. This can't be normal. 2 minutes I could live with, but 5 is murder in full summer.

Does anyone else see a delay like this?

Any help appreciated.
Scott
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=79928&hl=

That sounds a bit like the problem I had...
Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply Krozi

In all my weeks of forum searching I never came accross your post. Like yours, after the initial delay... mine is cold as ice. I tried adjusting the Idrive to full cold, but it does not influence the startup issue. Looks like a compressor change is the answer. I am afraid it's on my dime though with 80K on the clock.

In addition, the A/C will sometimes produce a low gurgling sound in that resonates from the evaporator (cool box). When idleing around town it will manifests itself a various times. If I turn the fan off, or all the way down to the lowest setting, the noise will go away. Did your car do anything similar?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Contributors

While Southern NJ doesn't have what some would be extreme hot weather the AC in my '07 generally provides cold air very quickly. But my car is dark (Monaco Blue) and even with the beige interior it takes a few minutes to cool the entire car down.

I suggest you consider and use:

1. the iDrive settings for parked car operation (fan) set to run 30 minutes before you normally enter your parked car.
2. a windshield shade (reflective)
3. keep the moonroof internal shade closed
Old 11-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did the dealer even read the bulletin? Your quote is from "Procedure #2" of the bulletin but "Procedure #1" is something they should have done to determine if you have a low charge or bad drier.

I'm not sure if you have a copy of the entire bulletin or not so just in case, here's a copy:
SI_B_64_03_05_Air_Conditioning_System_Poor_Performance.pdf
I'd say ask the dealer one more time why they think your car isn't covered by this bulletin. If they don't agree to do procedure #1, then I suggest you try another dealer...
Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by RamRoc' post='1063101' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:46 AM
In addition, the A/C will sometimes produce a low gurgling sound in that resonates from the evaporator (cool box). When idleing around town it will manifests itself a various times. If I turn the fan off, or all the way down to the lowest setting, the noise will go away. Did your car do anything similar?
I'm sorry...I never had that issue
Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Members

I took the whole printed out SIB in with me. Handed it to them and said "It's doing this." The dealer actually did Procedure #1. They added 1/2 lb of refridgerant, called me to pick up the car the same day and charged $100. It did it again the very next day. They don't seem to under stand the whole "if the car sits for more than 8 hours" issue.

I have started going out to the parking lot at lunch and just starting the car for 30 seconds. That is enough reset the computer clock on the 8 hours issue. A laborious fix, but it does work (when I remember).
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I had a similar problem and they replaced the condenser....cost $2000 but was covered under my aftermarket warranty.
W